When you were a kid/young...? (AS young? behind or ahead)

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AshConverse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2013, 5:53 pm

Nealry everything online states that AS has delays when they are young that can be easily spotted and diagnosed as babies or toddlers, but a few sources here and there will say that you/they could be AHEAD of the curb...?

I am interested to know who was which?
Were you behind, ahead, or just on time?

I recenty asked my mother about this, for most things (when young) I was on time or a little ahead, what were you?
(can you ask your family if you reached the "milestones" early, late, or on time?)

- by 6 months had the words mama, horsey, grandpa, licorice, ball(apple), grandma, dog-y(and their names), kitty(and her name), baba, etc. (a little ahead; average at 6 months to start with mama, dada, baba)
- 6 months, able to sit very well, was put on the horses and (obviously was just) getting pony rides; but later in my first competition at age 3 years against older kids (ahead; most babies are starting to sit up on their own on solid ground by 7-8 months)
- 8 months was crawling (on time or a little ahead; most are at 8-10 months)
- 11 months walking, I was told it was like I had been practicing when no one was looking, all of a sudden one day I stood up and walked and could keep up with the dogs. (a little ahead; most start fluently walking by 13-15 months)
- 3 years, riding a (2 wheel) bike.
- 3 years, tying shoes (I don't know when they usually start, but through 2nd grade classmates asked me to tie their shoes for them...)
- Preschool: could read name and some small words
- Kindergarden: I was one of the 4 kids that could read
- 1st Grade: still doing well and reading small chapter books/bigger books with a few pictures
- 2nd grade: EVERYTHING came to a sudden halt. I was kept in during recess and lunch to have help with reading and writing, stopped doing well, stopped talking, stopped having any friends, etc.

The only things different that I ever noticed as a kid: (until my mother and I recently talked)
- I had a different sense of time. (being in Kindergarden and being able to say "Xmas is ONLY 6 weeks away!?" while others thought that it was a whole eternity)
- I was pretty good at drawing. The teachers would always say to/ask the kids "oh nice, what is it?", one day I was upset that no one ever inquired about what my drawings were and the teachers words were "because I can actually tell what your drawings are..."
- they always seemed sort of immature. by middle school/junior high I gave up on people that are my age. (I am 17 and my *closest* or only friend is about to turn 43... she is very nice and puts up with me very well. she teaches/helps me mess with computers more!! I think that she might be/have a little bit AS, but really have no idea.)
- and peripheral vision. it seems that they (people my age) have only gained this because of Drivers Ed..? (when we were little they could not, FOR THE LIFE OF THEM, understand how I could see them with out directly staring at them or being right in front of them)

What about you?
How were you growing up?
(Sorry if this is complete giberish... putting my thoughts together is a little hard right now. Thanks for understanding!)

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

11 Feb 2013, 5:58 pm

Pretty behind on virtually all these things. I still don't have peripheral vision or drawing ability.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 6:20 pm

10 months: screamed very very loudly

11 months: could speak 6 words

1 year: obsessively stacked objects, stuck to the same routine, couldn't walk until 1 year and six months, couldn't make friends, advanced language

2 years: speak in full sentences, repeated everything i said, obsessed with making piles of things, took a year to be potty trained, still drinking from a bottle, couldnt make friends, no eye contact, limited facial expression, monotoned voice, screamed often, sensory overload often

5 years: made no friends, sensory overload, played alone, obsessive interests with animals and drawing spider webs.

7 years: spoke loudly, hugged everyone, obsessive interest with Wallace and Gromit, couldnt ride a bike, 1 friend, problems in school arose

10 years: meltdowns often, made friends but became overwhelmed easily, obsessed with Coraline

14 years: lost friends, depressed, bullied, didnt bathe or preform any hygene, obsessed about Sonic the Hedgehog, lost math skills, meltdowns daily

AshConverse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2013, 6:21 pm

Add:
- High school: not doing great. I either have one of four options. 1. drop out, 2. do extra online classes, 3. do a "Super Senior year" (go repeat my senior year next school year), or 4. do summer school.
(I am stuck with options 2 or 3. Family will NOT let me drop out, and I NEED a break from school during the summer, so there is no way I am going to volunteer and choose for summer school.)

- And my "special interest" is with horses, so that is most likely my career field, I REALLY want to become a farrier. (and for that you don't need college, it is a vocational/trade school or you can apprentice another farrier.)
- Or, I would like to do someting with special effects, but that would mean college, which I am not going to be able to handle, although if colleges look at what the classes are they would see that ALL of my art, computer, or digital graphics/design/web design/game design are high B+ or A. But I am pretty sure that they look at all of the grades or your grade point average, which then means I couldn't. :(

rixxar12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2013, 7:41 pm

The little i remember is that by
2 years i was already talking a lot.
3 years i was reading.
by 3 years they put me into kindergarden, but then they thought i was too advanced, and they sent me to 1st grade, then in firts grade the same thing happened, they thought i was too advanced and sent me to 2nd grade, finished 2nd grade, and when i was going to get into 3rd they didnt let me get in because i was too young, the other kids where 5 in 1st grade, i stayed one grade out of school, when i started, again the same thing happened, and they thought i was too advanced, and they wanted to sent me to 4th grade, this time my mom didnt let me, she thought i was missing things, and that i should just keep in the grade and use that as an advantage.
By now i think my mom was right, i jumped the earliers grades, where you learn how to write and things like that, that could have helped my dyspraxia and dysgraphia.
They got me advantage because i was too hyperactive, after asperger i have also(OCD,ADHD,etc).

Im bad at drawing because of my dyspraxia and dysgraphia.

1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th
I had "friends" my mom always told me that i use to make up stories in the middle of the class, and all the kids just went around me and heard me, i played sometimes or saw the kids playing, pretty good grades in this time.

But in the other grades from this point, my grades got so low, i even failed a grade, not friends, not talking in school, i barely graduated and gotinto a decent college.

Now im struggling with high levels of depression, anxiety, and things got hard, sometimes i get average so high, that i get postulated for scholarships, and other times i get average so damn low that i look like a failure, i had to retire from college the last semester because a high depression and anxiety(suicidal) they put me into the psych ward for 6 days and put me into antipsychotics, but im good now.

Not friends in my whole life, Never had a girlfriend, just reached my 20.

I have Asperger syndrome,ADHD,OCD,Dyspraxia,Dyslexia,Dysgraphia,Depression,Anxiety and possible Antisocial personality disorder(my psychiatric thinks i have it, i think i fit into the criteria, but i dont think i have it).

Soo, i think im pretty good by now, decent life.

Apologize my bad english

Hunterton
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2013, 8:00 pm

My parents say I started out well but once I hit 16, I stayed 16 as I got older. However, I have learned to get mature in other areas where I lack.

Socalizing: I still am clueless in socializing with girls yet I am able to develop good business relationships. I do good around family until big crowds gather. Christmas 2012 really proved I could maintain good composer in big crowds of 12 or more people.

Independence: I am getting there. I nkow what to do as far as my health goes but I still need to cross that hurdle as far as living conditions go. I know how to drive and thats my trade. I have a commercial drivers license and am the only one in my family that has it. Comes in handy during family moves.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 9:14 pm

Never diagnosed when younger... the signs weren't known in the late 80's/ early 90's. I was heavily behind with almost everything except verbal communication, was 13 when I learned to tie my own shoelaces... cant remember much of childhood though. Was shuffled into different classes of ability with all subjects, as teachers really didn't know why i was failing and assumed laziness. But when college hit... I excelled after discovering my own specific way of learning.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 8:29 am

I learned to speak when I was almost 2
I learned to walk when I was almost 3, though I continued crawling until age 8, and I usually crawled instead of walking until that age
I wrote my first letters when I was 4
I was diagnosed with AS and ADHD at age 6
I learned to cut my food at age 7
Had my first friend when I was 8
I learned to dress myself at age 9
I learned to wash my hair without someone else's help at age 10
Re-diagnosed with AS and ADHD when I was 12, also with a pending diagnosis of ODD, that, according to the shrinks, I very likely have; they'll definitely decide wheter diagnosing me with it or not this year or next year
I learned to tie my shoe laces at age 14

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 2:19 am

I was ahead of my peers in many ways in terms of academics and intelligence, but I lagged behind emotionally and socially.

My mom says I was an early talker (I'm not sure exactly when that was, though). My first "word" was a three-word sentence. I learned to read at age 4. I basically knew everything I would've learned in Kindergarten before I started Kindergarten. I started reading the newspaper when I was in first grade.

I don't remember *not* having special interests. As a child they included bridges, maps, traffic signals, supermarkets, point of sale systems. I drew a lot, and my drawings often reflected my interested (they were super detailed, too). I don't know how many drawings of traffic signals or roads I made over the years.

I was selectively mute for a couple years when I was in grade school. I repeated first grade, not for academic reasons, but because my social development lagged behind that of my peers. As a result, I went through school surrounded by kids who were younger than me, so I'm not sure how I would've related to my direct peers.

It's less of a problem now, but as a kid I did not handle changes well. I remember having a crying fit in Kindergarten because the teacher decided to rearrange the classroom. 8O

I learned to tie my shoes when I was about 9 years old. I didn't learn to throw a baseball or swing a bat properly until I was 10 or 11. I didn't learn to ride a two-wheeler until I was 10 (though that probably had more to do with the fact that nobody tried to teach me until then).

I felt more or less "normal" from 2nd grade until about 5th or 6th grade, where I felt like I was falling behind other kids in my class--kids that were a year or so younger than me. It felt like they were changing and maturing, and I was staying about the same. Others were getting into dating (or at least as much into dating as middle schoolers get); I was content with going home and playing with my Lego sets. Others talked about how they showered daily; I showered maybe once or twice a week at that time. Come to think of it, I related better to some of the teachers around that time than I did to some of the kids.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 5:19 am

My daughter was ahead or on time on most targets, which is probably why she was almost 5yrs before her daddy and I suspected she might have autism. She spoke very early - a few words at about 7 months and conversing in gramatically correct sentences at a year. She started to crawl at 6 months, cruised around the furniture from about 8 months, walked unaided at a year (which is average), but she never really walked like a baby, seldom fell over and soon learned to run as well. She was able to feed herself, with a fork or spoon, long before her peers were doing the same, but has regressed to eating with her fingers. She was potty trained relatively easily at 2 1/2, dry at night by 3yrs and has never wet the bed. She learned to ride a bike at 5yrs and has been swimming since then too. Our health visitor was very pleased with her progress, but I know now that this speedy development (especially the very early speaking) was actually a red flag for autism.

Throughout this time, she was actually very difficult to cope with. She wouldn't take hands or wear any sort of restraint outside and would not walk alongside me either. She was always wanting to run ahead, no matter how dangerous it might be (next to busy roads, etc). Her personal safety has always been a worry. And getting out of the house was very challenging. She'd fight about every item of clothing and continue to play, when we had to get ready to go out. I could go on and on about the behaviour issues that we struggled with. But, as she was so ahead of her peers, we never even thought that she might have autism and never even spoke to any professionals, about getting her assessed for anything. It was only once she went to school that her concentration problem became clear and I suddenly became aware of a social communication problem. After that, the diagnosis was quite straight forward.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 5:24 am

Ahead as I had mostly advanced development.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 6:01 am

I spoke early, but was late on almost all motor stuff (walking, riding a bike, tieing shoelaces etc). Academically I was average in most subjects, but very good in languages.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 10:29 am

bheind, still am.
alot of things I cant do
or evryone else thinks I "dont do right"
"you aint doing it right", PHHH whoo cares, I did it didn't I?

then its something I won't be doing again. skruit. i quit.

Ile be in my playroom, no im not going to "try again", I said I quit.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 10:49 am

It's hard for me to tell because I've not been able to compare myself as a baby/toddler to others, and then my mom had to homeschool my brother because he was so bad and no one knew what his problem was. Since he was super early on things academically, I always considered myself to be stupid.
By 9 months I was walking, 10 months I was running and climbing and was basically a monkey (ahead)
I think I was 3 or 4 when I memorized my first book and could "read" it to people but I didn't learn to read until I was 6.
I was ahead on artistic ability, something that has always annoyed me because most art teachers have to input to help me get better. They're just like, "Oh that's nice..." and move on. I hate that.
I know I was more knowledgeable than most people my age (still am) and was called a know-it-all often by my peers but impressed the adults.
I suppose I'm more emotionally mature than most of the people I went to college with, despite the fact that I *feel* like I'm still a little kid. I've always been more responsible and trusted, even if I don't feel like it's true. I guess that's because I have to follow orders/rules?

ColdPop7342
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2013, 12:41 pm

FishStickNick wrote:
I was ahead of my peers in many ways in terms of academics and intelligence, but I lagged behind emotionally and socially.

This is exactly how I am... I'm 13, just started on homeschool because school wasn't right for me

Social: I am pretty clueless. My mom always points out how awkward I am when I shake hands or go to the cash register to buy stuff. I don't have friends, and I really don't want any. I'll just stay in my room forever! :D

Intellectual: Well, I excel at everything intellectually, and when I was in public school I confused my teachers in math because I knew advanced math and physics, etc. In 8th grade. I am diagnosed with an IQ of 142 (NOT a stupid online test, a certified professional), and qualify to be in MENSA.

Emotional: Better, now that I'm on my meds :) But still, my parents say I have the intellect of a college graduate, but the emotional mind of a 7 year old.

So, I would say I'm doing pretty good, and ahead of my peers on the stuff that actually matters!! !

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 1:01 pm

I started talking (words) when I was 6 months old and I talked in sentences just after I turned 1. I started walking when I was 1,5 years old. I could read when I was 3,5. I learned riding a bike when I was 5 or 6 (I think) and I learned to swim when I was 12.