Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 8:47 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
the survey interestingly didn't give the option of allowing the man to stay at home, though. unless i read it wrong - i had a bit of trouble with it. it backed the women into a corner, not sure why it did that.

because sexist media is sexist

But, this was FEMINIST media. :P

Can still be inadvertently sexist.

Feminists seem to be a tad quick to yell "Sexist!" and to pounce. If the source is Feminist media, then they will soften their blow a bit with the adverb "inadvertently."

Labeling someone "Sexist!" seems to be among the most potent weapons in the Feminist arsenal, and may be overused.

Everyone can be sexist. It's a cultural meme and it's everywhere.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 9:28 am

Can someone who yells "Sexist!" be sexist? Does the term really mean anything any more? Calling an article "Sexist!" because the writer didn't explicity cover every possible gender combination seems a bit much.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 10:38 am

LKL wrote:
You're incorrect wrt. church-goers and divorce: the most pious states (ie, in the Bible Belt) routinely have vastly higher divorce rates than the least pious states (also the highest unwed teen pregnancy rates, etc)

Okay. You're right. :hail:

http://247wallst.com/2011/08/25/the-sta ... rce-rates/

Quote:
.....people living in northeastern states have lower marriage and divorce rates. And while those in the southern states are more likely to get married, they also have higher divorce rates.

Our analysis suggests that the difficult economic conditions of many southern states drives the divorce rate higher because residents tend to be poorer. The states with particularly high divorce rates have below median household income as well as a high proportion of the population living below the poverty line

However, I still challenge the finding that "faced with a husband who wants them to be a housewife or work part-time, almost three-quarters of women say they would choose divorce and raise their kids alone." For a poor woman in the South, this would typically mean increased poverty and hardship. For a vacuous Kardashian sister: no big deal at all.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 12:04 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Can someone who yells "Sexist!" be sexist? Does the term really mean anything any more? Calling an article "Sexist!" because the writer didn't explicity cover every possible gender combination seems a bit much.

Like I said, everyone can be sexist. Covering every gender combination isn't needed, it's just that not suggesting that men could possibly be homekeepers in a survey about sex and domestic roles is a pretty big oversight.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

14 Feb 2013, 12:14 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
the survey interestingly didn't give the option of allowing the man to stay at home, though. unless i read it wrong - i had a bit of trouble with it. it backed the women into a corner, not sure why it did that.

If that is true, then the results are clearly biased and, therefore, useless. If it were a choice of men staying home to take care of kids, I'd imagine that significantly more than 3/4 would choose divorce. I would.

Quote:
While there are many girls that get challenged to adopt characteristics which used to be known as "male" in earlier times, you see the opposite scarely ever.

Where I live, this is definitely not true. Gay culture adopts many feminine characteristics, and metrosexual straight men are quite popular among both liberal and conservative women.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 3:26 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
If it were a choice of men staying home to take care of kids, I'd imagine that significantly more than 3/4 would choose divorce. I would.

If you have a wife who is wealthy enough to support you and the kids, then why not stay home with them? Going off to work would be silly. Divorcing her so that you could take care of the kids on your own would be even sillier.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 9:27 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

Like I said, everyone can be sexist. Covering every gender combination isn't needed, it's just that not suggesting that men could possibly be homekeepers in a survey about sex and domestic roles is a pretty big oversight.

Well, you're absolutely right, then. Kathleen Gerson is a naughty, naughty sexist. Someone really ought to give that saucy wench a good spanking indeed.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 9:20 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
If it were a choice of men staying home to take care of kids, I'd imagine that significantly more than 3/4 would choose divorce. I would.

If you have a wife who is wealthy enough to support you and the kids, then why not stay home with them? Going off to work would be silly. Divorcing her so that you could take care of the kids on your own would be even sillier.

Because that would be dreadfully boring, and my career would stagnate. In addition, if we ever did get divorced, it would be hard to explain why I was out of the work force for so long. So no...I'd pick divorce, as would 3/4 of women and probably 9/10 of men under such circumstances.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 9:58 pm

Well, maybe someone should start a poll in one of the WrongPlanet sections, to compensate for Miss Gerson's naughty, naughty sexism.

Suppose you married, say, Paris Hilton (or another heiress). Would you still want to keep going to your job? There is so much more to life than a career.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 10:12 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Well, maybe someone should start a poll in one of the WrongPlanet sections, to compensate for Miss Gerson's naughty, naughty sexism.

Suppose you married, say, Paris Hilton (or another heiress). Would you still want to keep going to your job? There is so much more to life than a career.

If Paris Hilton's prenup was well-written, then no, I wouldn't agree to be a stay-at-home Dad and risk getting left with no money in the case of a divorce. Even aside from this, I want a career for its own sake, not just for the money, so I may not agree to this anyway. I don't even like kids very much.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 10:55 pm

Well, to each his own. If you don't like kids, then you had really not be a Daddy. They aren't for everyone.