Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 12:44 pm

I never thought I would say this: Better than Big Bang Theory.

mango_prom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2013, 7:15 pm

ruveyn wrote:
I never thought I would say this: Better than Big Bang Theory.

Sadly, not anymore...

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2013, 1:54 pm

Just watched time con..was there a point to any of it? A con is full of cosplay and wacky avantures but the show just aimed at evil aspie. Jeff is a cheat, Annie is a child, Troy is a friend we all wish for, Brttia is one of those fans, Shirley had nothing to offer (would have been funny if she turned the American show to highly religious)

mango_prom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2013, 3:37 pm

Darkone101 wrote:
Just watched time con..was there a point to any of it? A con is full of cosplay and wacky avantures but the show just aimed at evil aspie. Jeff is a cheat, Annie is a child, Troy is a friend we all wish for, Brttia is one of those fans, Shirley had nothing to offer (would have been funny if she turned the American show to highly religious)

This season feels extremely forced. It seems like they're going to spend more time on traditional sitcom arcs like relationships ( Annie/Jeff, Troy/Britta) instead of the more conceptual stuff they did in past seasons. I get a strange vibe from these episodes, the cast appears struggling to make the weak material work.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 5:10 pm

I think you guys and I like two different Community's. I liked season 1 and season 2 before it got so meta and science-fiction-ie. You guys seem to miss season 3, when it got very wacky and cartoony. The problem with season 3 was that it prevented new viewers from getting into the show and it was leaving viewers, who liked the season 1 material, disappointed. As a result, the number of people tuning in started to lower and that's no good when you're trying to run a business.

I feel like the characters are starting to return to normal and are acting like how you would think they would based on season 1. It's very clear the writers did a lot of "Community" watching. They're pulling in continuing story arcs and subtle jokes from previous seasons. They seem to be continuing from where Harmon dropped the ball and got meta.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 5:16 pm

This show has quickly become my latest autistic obsession. After having re-watched all of Arrested Development (another obsession), I was looking for something else to tide me over until that show's new season starts in May. I've started from the beginning and am currently halfway through season 2. I warmed up to the show quickly, and it just keeps getting better and better with each episode I watch (though of course that may "Chang" once I get further into the run). It's hard for me to even explain why I love this show so much, but it really seems made for people with my mindset - all of the pop cultural references, meta humor, and in-jokes seem right up my alley, even when I'm not familiar with the source material. Love the characters and the storytelling style as well - everything just clicks for me. I think this show is definitely "streets ahead" of The Big Bang Theory, which can be amusing at times but ultimately feels like too much of a one-joke show with overtly cartoonish characters. And I agree with the person who said that Abed may very well be the best scripted "aspie" character I've ever seen.

I don't plan on watching any episodes from the current season until I've gotten through the previous three, since I don't think I could judge them fairly otherwise. I do think it's a real shame that Dan Harmon got the sack and am discouraged by the things I'm hearing about it. If the naysayers are right, then I say forget six seasons and just get right to the movie, with Dan Harmon back at the helm. But I will give the new episodes a chance.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 5:23 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE6kLeUG87s&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
GAAAAAAAAGHHHHH!! !! !! Flashback!

90% of all AD&D games I've ever been in seem to have started this exact same way!

:eew:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

mango_prom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2013, 5:35 pm

Pileo wrote:
I feel like the characters are starting to return to normal and are acting like how you would think they would based on season 1. It's very clear the writers did a lot of "Community" watching. They're pulling in continuing story arcs and subtle jokes from previous seasons. They seem to be continuing from where Harmon dropped the ball and got meta.

I would disagree there...to me the callbacks and references (especially the last episode was heavy on that) are more about recycling old material, which has 2 advantages: On one hand the new showrunners can appeal to the hardcore fans by quoting past seasons, but also they aren't forced to reinvent the show or maybe fail on the task to duplicate what Harmon and the other staff that left woul've envisioned for S4. So to me the show is in stalling mode right now, they aren't trying anything new and rely on massive callbacks and references to give fans some familiarity to make up for a lack of direction and new material.

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2013, 6:22 pm

Only joke I thought was even close to funny this year was who replaced Hawthorne in Abad's mind.

idk2612
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2013, 11:06 am

I love this show;) and I don't want it to end soon. But season 4 seems to be that. Characters looks more normal and they probably have just grown up. Jeff it's another person, Annie is not a girl but a women. All of them changed in Greendale.
It was better than Big Bang Theory and is still better
, season 6 doesn't impress me. Sheldon is less alien more human now.

treblecake
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2013, 2:16 am

After the first episode of season 4 I was terrified at where community was going this season. The new camera work was annoying and obvious, there was way too much packed into the episode and it just felt like a cheap imitation with the recycled jokes. But after seeing Paranormal Parentage and Conventions of Space and Time I've grown to like this season. It has a new feel to it but I'm sort of relating it to my life (they're in their senior year, I'm in my senior year of high school), at a few points it feels like the show is running on old jokes (like friendships being held together by past jokes and experiences), Troy and Britta's relationship feels weird (just as some of my friends are having weird relationships) and the familiar but also unfamiliar feeling the show has now ( like how I know my school well now but at the same time it feels unfamiliar with all the new younger students)

I know that season 4 will never be my favourite season but I'm starting to accept this new feel to community.
Although there are two things I'm happy about with this season. Firstly, they seem to be focussing the episodes more from Abed's point of view and secondly they're still focusing a lot on the troy/abed bromance ( Conventions of space and time had the best troybed moments).

mango_prom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2013, 5:07 am

Alright, episode 4 was pretty good. Not the best thing, but certainly on par with many stuff of past seasons. But no Nick Kroll, that sucked.

SpiderFan14
Raven
Raven

01 Mar 2013, 1:24 pm

I really liked the new episode, it felt like an old one and it had everyone doing something instead of wasting them.

mango_prom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2013, 1:42 pm

Yeah, best one so far. I've read somewhere that they've switched a few episodes, the one yesterday was ep02 originally. Maybe they've aired the two crappy ones after the premiere to get over with it. Looks promising, McDowell is great and there's enough potential in everything set up during the first 3 seasons to get a few decent episodes out of it without doing much new stuff.
So with only 9 episodes left, hopefully they've produced some great ones.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 5:34 pm

I did a sleep study this past Thursday night, and since the TV was the only thing to entertain me, I decided to go ahead and watch the newest episode of Community, even though I still haven't seen all of season 3. It does seem like I've missed some character development (particularly with Chang), but I was still able to follow what was going on. I thought the show got off to a really good start with a lot of funny one-liners. After that, it devolved a bit into standard sitcom territory with some of the characters feeling a bit watered-down, and I think the German characters were better used in their first appearance (which I actually didn't see until after I watched this episode). But overall I thought it still was entertaining and had at least *some* of what made the show appeal to me.

I still think it's a shame about what happened with Dan Harmon, and I'll have to watch a few more episodes to see what I really think of this season. But at least judging from this episode, I'm not actively rooting for the show to be cancelled. It's not like there's much else on TV.

SpiderFan14
Raven
Raven

08 Mar 2013, 7:09 pm

The thanksgiving episode was THE WORST episode so far!

It was all over the place mood wise. The Winger family dinner didn't know if it was going to be funny or sad and all the jokes fell very very flat. It was very unpleasant to watch, especially the half-brother of Jeff's. He was just so damn annoying! And it felt like it was a story that was written on one go and never sent in for quality inspection. The only ok parts were the dinner at Shirley's but even then it felt forced (not to mention cheap, we only got the front entry and garage) but the house did look nice.

And another thing, what happened to Jeff's mom? You would think she would've been mentioned at all in this ep.