to aspie men here: how you do with other males

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 10:07 pm

do you make male friends easy or not. I can, they just come up to me and start talking to me.
Men are very easy to become friends with, I never been mr.popular, but I have had a quit a few male friends.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 12:21 am

I'm an equal opportunity aspienator. I don't make social connections with people period. :batman:

sirhawkeye
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2013, 12:21 am

For me, I find that making male friends is easier than female friends. I think primarily because when meeting new male friends to hang out with, I'm not concerned with some aspects that I would otherwise be concerned with if making new friends with females.

I feel its easier because (since I"m straight) I'm looking to make friends, not date them. So I guess I can feel more at ease with that in mind, knowing that yes I'm meeting someone new, but it's just making friends, not trying to impress or date them. Plus, I find with fellow males, its easier to find similar interests and there are certain "guy things" that can be easily related to, more than with a female.

I would say that I can make male friends must easier than female friends, unfortunately (for me).

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 12:38 am

Don't have any RL friends except for my sister, so yeah... People in general are hard to approach for me.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

15 Feb 2013, 8:04 am

Depends on if they are fellow white males or not. I'd say I have little in common with most white males my own age, especially if they are upper middle class. I have an Indian-American friend and several black friends, but I only know one white guy who seems like he wants to be friends -- and he shares my uber religious upbringing (and hostility to religion and capitalism) and may well have something like NVLD.

HauntedKnight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Feb 2013, 8:29 am

Probably easier in general to make friends with people of the same sex. But I find it much easier to have 'close' friendships with females, I'm not sure why that is for me, maybe I subconsciously find other males a threat? Or associate females with a 'mother-type' figure.

sparkylabs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2013, 6:14 am

I find talking to men easier as I find it hard to talk to people (unless they are much older than me), yes I think I'm always on edge when talking to girls that are potential "girlfriend material" whereas if it's been ruled out I have no problem at all.

Not been diagnosed with anything but I sure know I'm different somehow, and people treat me different, not that I care.

Philosoraptor
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Feb 2013, 5:31 pm

I have difficulty in really relating to many people, regardless of gender, but my conversations with males are definitely very superficial with some exceptions.

The only kinds of guys I can really befriend are ones that I can talk with at a deeper, more intellectual level. I never make enemies with anyone, but I do definitely distance myself from a lot of people who I find too superficial. I have many acquaintances who I talk to occasionally about somewhat superficial things (movie preferences, schoolwork-related things, job-related things, etc.), but I never get a sense of friendship with them so I suppose how I do with other males is merely neutral for the most part.

sparkylabs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2013, 3:15 am

Philosoraptor wrote:

The only kinds of guys I can really befriend are ones that I can talk with at a deeper, more intellectual level. I never make enemies with anyone, but I do definitely distance myself from a lot of people who I find too superficial

That's me to a "T" I have a couple of people who I know I can talk about anything to where others would just think I'm mad, one has dyspraxia and the other suspects like me he may be boarder line on being an aspie. But yes on the whole I find people superficial, it's like talking to a program that overlays the real person because they are so scared of just saying what they want to say or know that their just selfish.

Not been diagnosed with anything but I sure know I'm different somehow, and people treat me different, not that I care.

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 12:39 am

sparkylabs wrote:
Philosoraptor wrote:

The only kinds of guys I can really befriend are ones that I can talk with at a deeper, more intellectual level. I never make enemies with anyone, but I do definitely distance myself from a lot of people who I find too superficial

That's me to a "T" I have a couple of people who I know I can talk about anything to where others would just think I'm mad, one has dyspraxia and the other suspects like me he may be boarder line on being an aspie. But yes on the whole I find people superficial, it's like talking to a program that overlays the real person because they are so scared of just saying what they want to say or know that their just selfish.

You described me too. I think AS guys tend to be like this. Luckily, as we get older, the other guys around us also get older (usually) and thus theres a bigger number of guys who are deeper, either intrinsically or due to experience.

I talk to most guys no problem, I'm masculine but introverted-most guys I understand. the thing's they are into are a whole different story though. i dont know about you guys...but all my close RL male friends are all very deep. I've put a distance between myself and my more typical 20 -something guy friends due to a lack of empathy. i just dont understand a lot of the things they are thinking about, talking about or whatever....interests and girls and stuff. I think more about my woman's needs, feelings and all that mushy stuff, my male friends are concerned about doing their own thing and pissing off their gfs...i dont get it. they talk about some new call of duty game...I want to talk about hypothetical zombie apocalypses, world power balances . do ya'll expereince this disconnect sometimes too?

I befriend girls and women a whole lot easier since they tend to be deeper and more emotion based anyway. This is a double edged sword...I friendzone myself beacuse I'm a naturally caring/protective person...but at the same time I meet a lot of women and its opened up some doors in dating.

sparkylabs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2013, 3:07 am

tangomike wrote:
I've put a distance between myself and my more typical 20 -something guy friends due to a lack of empathy. i just dont understand a lot of the things they are thinking about, talking about or whatever....interests and girls and stuff. I think more about my woman's needs, feelings and all that mushy stuff, my male friends are concerned about doing their own thing and pissing off their gfs...i dont get it. they talk about some new call of duty game...I want to talk about hypothetical zombie apocalypses, world power balances . do ya'll expereince this disconnect sometimes too?

I befriend girls and women a whole lot easier since they tend to be deeper and more emotion based anyway. This is a double edged sword...I friendzone myself beacuse I'm a naturally caring/protective person...but at the same time I meet a lot of women and its opened up some doors in dating.

Same here, if you have a GF why annoy her ? that is not loving, The problem I find with most other men is that they seem to constantly worry about asserting themselves instead of just enjoying life.

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2013, 2:41 pm

As long as they aren't a d***** I get along with them. If I talk to a girl generally it's nothing too awkward.

Beef_n00dles
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2013, 3:13 pm

I haven't befriended a lot of men lately to be honest, I usually choose women just because I'm fascinated by the prospect of possibly falling in love with them. With that said, men don't usually approach me as often it seems, at least, as of late. I've noticed women tend to enjoy talking about a greater variety of subjects, and I usually tend to bond with a man through intense speculation on one topic of common interest. With women it's all across the board as for as their potential compatibility goes, men, we either know we've got it, or we just give up and go our separate ways.

gigstalksguy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Feb 2013, 3:35 pm

I guess in my adult life the kinds people who I have naturally formed friendships with are older, single guys, the type who may have had few relationships, or may have appeared to achieved much and struggled socially, but are likely to be well organised and good at remembering the facts about their day-to-day life. I think it's because I can naturally relate to their lifestyle, I can to some degree put myself in their shoes.

While I have several good friends like this, the problem is these types of guys are more likely to just be someone you meet with for an occassional coffee - they don't tend to help you find a more dynamic social life.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 2:21 pm

I guess those that I made friends with were those that I had philosophical conversation with. They are also the ones that tell me I should eat, for some strange reason.

luminaeus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2013, 10:45 pm

I can generally have conversation with coworkers of any gender assuming they're nice (and patient) enough to tolerate (or find humorous) my social awkwardness. It's been a very long time since I've been friends with anyone. I don't know how I managed to get married.