IBS,Leaky Gut Syndrom,Lactose Intolerence and Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

krex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2007, 9:57 pm

I have been researching IBS and autism today and now have more questions then answers.I think there is a link between digestive problems and depression in autism.I have recently read that the small intestine produces 90% of our serotonin!! !
I have had IBS since I was 12 and very bad depression since 16.I am just wondering if anyone knows about a connection?

I was also interested if anyone has given (or takes themselves)....CLA,GLA and the other linoleic acids.....(I think Safflower oil is high in these?)Is it ever recommended.? like being an aspie but dont care for the "brain fog" or melt downs when stressed.

AS a side note...I also read that there was a link in depression and increased levels of omega 6 in the brain!!!It is believed that increasing the levels of omega 3 can help decrease the effects of the omega 6.

All of the above information and (possible distorting of science) is the combination of Science Daily web site and my scientifically naive knowledge.If you care to read about these issues,you can find them in Science Daily by doing a "search" on Autism.It's a great site.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Jan 2007, 10:25 pm

My daughter, who is also an Aspie, swears by Flax Oil for controlling depression and anxiety.

ProwlingParadox
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2007, 12:43 am

Milk and gluten alarges are very common in aspies, and they can causes irritable bow and a host of other problems that aggravate as. They can often be associated with signifigent biochemical imbalances in the brain which in turn do there own damaged. I think that you should look for a doctor who speclises in brain bio chemistry get it looked into. The think about ditety supplements is that you have to know what you need. They can run a test on a strand of your hair and give you a full picture of your levels for the last 6 months. They can also test for allergies that could be causing the irritable bowl.

As a side note I have a gluten and casein intolerance and had a massive imbalance when I started thinking the supplements and the diet. I notesed that I did not have daily tension headacks any more, my ibs disappeared, I lost 15kg in 2 weeks, my dixlexer almost halved in severity. My stimulation problems got a bit better I needed to stim less, I don’t zone out randomly any where near as much. And that’s just what I rember off the top of my head from 2 years ago,
any just my 2 c

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 9:51 am

I don't think there is any such thing as leaky gut syndrome but food intolerances, sensitivities and IBS instead are very real. Having bad digestion would be depressing in and of itself but I wouldn't be surprised if it were linked with depression biochemically too.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2007, 3:09 pm

Leaky gut is a real proven medical problem. There are plenty of studies in medical journals talking about it. How can you deny something proven by science? The way they test for it is to have you drink a mixture of sugars and then test your urine for the presense of these sugars. Some sugars are too big to pass through the intestinal walls unless you have a leaky gut, and therefore shouldn't be found in your urine. If they are in your urine that means they leaked out of your gut before being digested, proving you have a leaky gut.

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2007, 4:39 pm

i believe its to to do with intolerances to certain foods, thats why the gcfc diet is good when your child isn't a fussy eater like me as i have IBS like symptoms

Stop talking trash

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 6:37 am

Thanks Solid, that's what I think too. 8)

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon