Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sherman247
Raven
Raven

14 Feb 2013, 9:08 pm

Touching how do you feel about touching! Ive had aspergers all my life but it appears like the whole touching thing doesnt really matter anymore to me. I am a certified Emergency Medical Technician and I have had to reset limbs draw blood drug test and be with patients many times out of the day as it was my job at the time. How do you feel about touching?

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 9:47 pm

Depends... I despise getting touched, especially when its unexpected or without warning. It can be quite discomforting sometimes that could kick-start anxiety or a mild meltdown when already in a highly stimulated state.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 10:06 pm

I am not real fond of being touched by others but it doesn’t set me off.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 10:42 pm

i don't mind as long as the other party is clean.

labellablue
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Feb 2013, 11:38 am

I can't stand being touched without warning- like a surprise hug. If someone does not have my permission and touches me, I go into "panic mode".

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 12:44 pm

(Wrong forum, maybe?)

Sherman247 wrote:
Touching how do you feel about touching! Ive had aspergers all my life but it appears like the whole touching thing doesnt really matter anymore to me. I am a certified Emergency Medical Technician and I have had to reset limbs draw blood drug test and be with patients many times out of the day as it was my job at the time. How do you feel about touching?

That's a different kind of touching.
At a doctor's, I'm more comfortable with him (or her, doesn't even matter) touching me for the medical exam than shaking his hand.

Cacao
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2013, 2:01 pm

55cm to 75cm is optimal distance.

Sherman247
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2013, 4:36 pm

Vectorspace wrote:
(Wrong forum, maybe?)
Sherman247 wrote:

That's a different kind of touching.
At a doctor's, I'm more comfortable with him (or her, doesn't even matter) touching me for the medical exam than shaking his hand.

What if someones or your own artery is severed and blood gets all over the place?

EverythingShimmers
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Feb 2013, 5:27 pm

I don't mind touching that much. The times it bothers me are when I'm concentrating on something else. The worst is if a person comes up behind me while I'm doing something, such as washing dishes or being on my computer. In general, if I'm very focused on whatever I'm doing, having someone touch me is very annoying, bordering on infuriating at rare times.

I don't mind getting hugs, but I do prefer them to be "planned", and tight, real, hugs - not those awful one-armed, barely touching kinds.

I was in a full-contact martial art starting at age 10 for a number of years (and I was very enthusiastic about it at the time), so I imagine that it really helped me to get very comfortable with being up close to and touching other people. I also wrestled a lot with my younger brother in all the years before that.

Sherman247
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2013, 5:34 pm

EverythingShimmers wrote:
I don't mind touching that much. The times it bothers me are when I'm concentrating on something else. The worst is if a person comes up behind me while I'm doing something, such as washing dishes or being on my computer. In general, if I'm very focused on whatever I'm doing, having someone touch me is very annoying, bordering on infuriating at rare times.

I don't mind getting hugs, but I do prefer them to be "planned", and tight, real, hugs - not those awful one-armed, barely touching kinds.

I was in a full-contact martial art starting at age 10 for a number of years (and I was very enthusiastic about it at the time), so I imagine that it really helped me to get very comfortable with being up close to and touching other people. I also wrestled a lot with my younger brother in all the years before that.

Nice!! that sounds great!! !! !!

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 6:00 pm

Sherman247 wrote:
Vectorspace wrote:

What if someones or your own artery is severed and blood gets all over the place?

I've never experienced anything comparable, but I'm sure that I would not worry about the social implications of touching the person in that situation.

Sherman247
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2013, 6:08 pm

Vectorspace wrote:
Sherman247 wrote:
Vectorspace wrote:

I've never experienced anything comparable, but I'm sure that I would not worry about the social implications of touching the person in that situation.

Indeed, you are saving their life.

VonAaron
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Feb 2013, 12:23 pm

It depends. Either way, touching usually doesn't bother me as much as the sound of styrofoam!

Sherman247
Raven
Raven

16 Feb 2013, 1:54 pm

VonAaron wrote:
It depends. Either way, touching usually doesn't bother me as much as the sound of styrofoam!

Whats wrong with styrofoam? I put left overs in it...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 2:10 pm

but when you crinkle it, the sound is a close cousin to fingernails on a blackboard.

Sherman247
Raven
Raven

16 Feb 2013, 2:17 pm

auntblabby wrote:
but when you crinkle it, the sound is a close cousin to fingernails on a blackboard.

it breaks when it crinkles though doesnt it?>