Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Question14
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2013, 3:25 am

War Games.

These are something I would be interested in, does any one do these type of games?
You know, not video games... how do I describe it?
Anyhow, my question is does anyone here play War Games?

kirostun
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2013, 4:35 am

I dont understand. If not a video game What kind of game? Board maybe?

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 8:32 pm

I play Flames of War, Warhammer/Warhammer 40,000, Axis & Allies, Squad Leader (and associated "gamettes" like Cross of Iron), and Panzer Blitz. A fair mix of the old and new.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 5:27 pm

Played Warhammer 40K, Necromunda, Epic and Blood Bowl back in the 90's.

The computer game adaptation of Blood Bowl for the Pc is absolutely fantastic BTW and a sequeal is being developed by the same French Studio great news.

Used to belong to a local war game group in my home town. Played all sorts of era and scale games that I can't remember the name of. Was aspie central with those guys.
My favourite era was the Eastern Front of World War 2. I liked playing at all scales. Tactical, Operational and strategic games. Combat Mission 2 Barbarossa to Berlin was a dream come true for me (Pc game)

Big fan of the Classic Battletech boardgame but sadly that was never really popular over here in the UK. Despite Mechwarrior 2 getting people interested in the universe. The online interpretations of the boardgame you can get now that pretty much simulate the rules as if you played it IRL. Mechwarrior tactics and Mechwarrior Online are great spiritual successors.

I would love a succession wars era grand strategy game to be translated into a computer game. The current owners of Battletech are developing one for the modern board game which is in open play testing at the moment. But I think such a scale would be awesome for a 4x strategy game on the PC

There are some sci fi board games I would really have liked to get into such as Star Trek Battles and Babylon 5 but never had the time.

Computer games have sometimes done a much better job of bringing what I enjoy about a game system to life. If I had any group of people to play Battletech with I'd be up for it but never found any.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 1:58 pm

Laz wrote:
Played Warhammer 40K, Necromunda, Epic and Blood Bowl back in the 90's.

My favourite era was the Eastern Front of World War 2. I liked playing at all scales. Tactical, Operational and strategic games. Combat Mission 2 Barbarossa to Berlin was a dream come true for me (Pc game)

Big fan of the Classic Battletech boardgame but sadly that was never really popular over here in the UK. Despite Mechwarrior 2 getting people interested in the universe. The online interpretations of the boardgame you can get now that pretty much simulate the rules as if you played it IRL. Mechwarrior tactics and Mechwarrior Online are great spiritual successors.

I would love a succession wars era grand strategy game to be translated into a computer game. The current owners of Battletech are developing one for the modern board game which is in open play testing at the moment. But I think such a scale would be awesome for a 4x strategy game on the PC

There are some sci fi board games I would really have liked to get into such as Star Trek Battles and Babylon 5 but never had the time.

Computer games have sometimes done a much better job of bringing what I enjoy about a game system to life. If I had any group of people to play Battletech with I'd be up for it but never found any.

WOW!

... my favorite era/genre/focus is also the Eastern Front of WW2.

I LOVE playing Battletech. Love it! Like you, Ihave no one around here to play the classic game with. Do you prefer 3025, or clan/3055 tech?

It would be awesome if someone did a Successions wars grand strategy game!! ! Maybe the folksat Paradox could be persueded....

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 4:12 pm

Question14 wrote:
War Games.

These are something I would be interested in, does any one do these type of games?
You know, not video games... how do I describe it?
Anyhow, my question is does anyone here play War Games?
This question is rather vague. Do you mean > This? <

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 6:50 pm

I will play any game, regardless of medium, in which I can utterly destroy my opponents :twisted:

KF2M
Raven
Raven

26 Apr 2013, 10:30 am

I play any game that I can blow things up. Counter Strike, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Klingon Academy, Wing Commander....

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 10:52 am

KF2M wrote:
I play any game that I can blow things up. Counter Strike, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Klingon Academy, Wing Commander....

yea, I think thats like every videogame ever made. lol.

Our obsession with blowing stuff up is truly profound, makes me wonder how we coaped before gunpowder was invented.

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 11:21 am

There are explosives that pre-date gunpowder.

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2013, 2:51 pm

Does World of Tanks count?

KF2M
Raven
Raven

26 Apr 2013, 3:09 pm

Klowglas wrote:
KF2M wrote:

yea, I think thats like every videogame ever made. lol.

Our obsession with blowing stuff up is truly profound, makes me wonder how we coaped before gunpowder was invented.

Staring at the campfire, hitting things with sticks....

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 3:25 pm

Shooters, no.

I'm a fairly story-oriented person myself, so generally I don't play many war games. I've consider Spec Ops: The Line, but I haven't made a clear decision yet or not.

In terms of War JRPGs, Valkyria Chronicles is the only one that comes to mind.

Author/Writer