How to tell if your girlfriend is a psycho.

Page 6 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 7:21 am

hyperlexian wrote:
yeah, perhaps that also comes from a place of fear? like, fear of the "hillbillies"?

It's actually something I've found that nearly everyone can partake in, but it won't be called on (unlike lots of other stereotypes with derisive connotations attached to isolate, trivialize, belittle and stigmatize people). Yeah, hillbillies, rednecks, and whatnot.

The unknown is always a contributor to fear, which can lead to group bashing, but you'd expect it to be different nowadays (developed countries), when everyone has access to the same communications and whatnot.

But nope, we'll deride you for being a certain way (even though said way doesn't actually harm anyone).

I shouldn't expect more though, as it seems to be a part of social behavior (other group different. That group may be threat. We attack said group).

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 7:24 am

Dillogic wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
yeah, perhaps that also comes from a place of fear? like, fear of the "hillbillies"?

It's actually something I've found that nearly everyone can partake in, but it won't be called on (unlike lots of other stereotypes with derisive connotations attached to isolate, trivialize, belittle and stigmatize people). Yeah, hillbillies, rednecks, and whatnot.

The unknown is always a contributor to fear, which can lead to group bashing, but you'd expect it to be different nowadays (developed countries), when everyone has access to the same communications and whatnot.

But nope, we'll deride you for being a certain way (even though said way doesn't actually harm anyone).

I shouldn't expect more though, as it seems to be a part of social behavior (other group different. That group may be threat. We attack said group).

thanks for bringing it to my attention - i have never thought about it. i'd like to say i don't discriminate that way, but to be honest i'd have to say i am not so sure. i may actually be guilty of it. but awareness is the first step to eradicating prejudice.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 7:32 am

hyperlexian wrote:
MXH wrote:
periphery wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
So, in clear English - what do you claim is this awful "bigger issue" we apparently keep missing?

That stereotypes are harmful and offensive regardless of whether they're made in jest.

The way I see it stereotypes exist for a reason. If it weren't something so common place in a group then no one would single it out. No one woke up one morning and thought it'd be funny if blacks ate fried chicken, Jews were greedy, Hispanics were all in gangs, and whites were all fat, men are all jerks, women are all golddiggers, etc. It happens, people notice, and then people label. All you can do is work to move away from it, but you cant expect some whining is going to change someone elses thoughts. Else you'll just end up as a stereotype yourself.

yes, those things exist for a reason - they have been used as tools to help to reinforce the power dynamic between the dominant culture and the subjugated or less powerful people. this was because the people in the dominant culture were jealous of their power and it was a social tool to keep the lesser culture in line. this was not a conscious thing, more of like turning members of the otehr culture into the enemy to keep them in line on a subconscious level. i.e.

black fried chicken stereotype - arose during black slavery in the South
Jews being greedy - arose in europe when Jewish people were not allowed to be citizens or landowners
Hispanics in gangs - arose in U.S. when they were/are a poor minority, often with immigrant status from neighbouring countries
women being golddiggers - arose when women didn't hold powerful positions in business and didn't earn nearly as much as men - until recently there were many jobs they were not even allowed to do. until about 4 generations ago, they could not own land in many western countries either - not so long ago. so they had to marry into money.

except for the fat white person one (haven't heard it) and men all being jerks - those are more recent, possibly because of shifting power dynamics. it is very difficult for members of the group to fight stereotyping in action because every time one single member acts according to form, it reinforces the stereotype and every time someone acts in opposition to it, the evidence is ignored.

some people LIKE to stereotype others and make negative generalisations. they do it under the guise of "not being politically correct" but there is nothing "politically incorrect" about... being inaccurate in one's statements. perhaps it makes them feel powerful, as it seems to arise from a place of fear.

I know where they come from, and I also know how people to this day keep enforcing them. There's plenty more to go around, I simply don't have the time to go about every single stereotype I know from race, to gender, to countries, etc. At the end of the day stereotypes are a way for us to deal with something. Be it our own social insecurities, all the way down to how society and its members have treated us. And not all stereotypes are bad either, for example the stereotype in the US that Asians are smarter than average people, or that black men have the largest penises.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 10:19 am

spongy wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
spongy wrote:
periphery wrote:
Because it takes seemingly innocuous and regular activities like wanting to look good when going out, being obsessed with celebrities, and getting upset when the [controlling] bf tries to dictate who the gf can and cannot flirt with (read: speak to) and turns them into hallmarks of someone that is actually an 'psycho-killer'.

Does this sort of comment ring a bell boo?

Its the standard reply on those threads you despise so much if you tweak some of the specifics

What the f**k you are talking about?

Look dear Spongy, you either quote things I said from other threads to prove whatever you are talking about.... or just zip it.

And no, nothing of that ring a bell, not even a tiny bit.

Tbh, I have no idea what you are talking about and you sound to me you're just trolling.

I dont have the time to look for one of those threads and those threads tend to be locked due to heavy discussions so itd be against the rules to make a quote.
I will however save this thread as a bookmark and link to it whenever you complain about females doing this very same thing in the future

But I have never complained about some video about nice guy or whatsoever, you sounded like you were talking about something very specific. You were talking enigmas to me such as "rings a bell" - "Oooo Booo, does it ring a bell?".

Next time, before you make such silly assumptions and statements against me make sure that you can dig something to back them up.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 10:33 am

Dillogic wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

I shouldn't expect more though, as it seems to be a part of social behavior (other group
different. That group may be threat. We attack said group).

You said it.I'm so tired of hearing that everyone from Arkansas is inbred,ignorant,redneck,bare foot,toothless,illiterate,violent drunken gun toting hics.
It's cultural prejudice but nobody ever calls anyone out on it.
Of course we make fun of ourselves,in the same way a rapper can use a racial term and it's tolerated.