Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

16 Feb 2013, 4:06 am

It's pretty scary sometimes to walk into a room and then 2 minutes later not remember where the door is. Isn't this a bit extreme, even for NVLD? I have a good memory for content of speeches, books, or what people tell me. I just have no memory at all for visual things. When I used to live down a long hallway, I would always look in both directions when exited my room to figure out where to go, and my friend said this was "scary" and asked if I had done drugs (I have not). It's scary because I have read that this symptom is a sign of Alzheimer's Disease, or that having it can make one especially vulnerable to the development of Alzheimer's.

So, is this a major brain damage, or is it consistent with NVLD?

cactusgecko
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Feb 2013, 1:01 pm

Huh thought it was just me. I use GPS just to go the 5 min walk from the train to my frontdoor. :S

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

27 Feb 2013, 1:34 pm

cactusgecko wrote:
Huh thought it was just me. I use GPS just to go the 5 min walk from the train to my frontdoor. :S

lol yes! Is this just NVLD?

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 5:19 am

This is a fairly common NVLD trait. It is surprising how many people have problems with navigation. This site has some interesting information, some tests and a forum about navigation issues.

Tyri0n wrote:
It's scary because I have read that this symptom is a sign of Alzheimer's Disease, or that having it can make one especially vulnerable to the development of Alzheimer's.

If your ability to navigate starts dropping sharply then yes, this could indicate Alzheimer's but there are usually many other symptoms as well. Alzheimer's affects a number of brain functions, not just navigation. As far as I know if you are born like this then you are no more or less likely to develop Alzheimer's than anyone else.