My fears from childhood are haunting my adulthood.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

silent-swan8
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jan 2007, 8:48 am

Ok, I have been daring to post this for a while. I was kind of worried of this sounding dumb..or it having nothing to do with any topic here. Sorry..I know i'm paranoid..guess iv'e been on too many n.t forums. *sorry if this topic is in the wrong section*

Iv'e had a lot of fears and a lot of problems, due to things that have happened in the past. When I was a kid my so called "friends" would tell me scary stories and do nasty things to frighten me. At that same time I watched a horror movie which really scared me. It was about these kids which did this so called spell in this church. But it all went wrong and this girl got hit by a bell she was wearing a white gown and a white blindfold. Was kinda creepy..and she came back as this ghost. and then something else that happened to me was I was locked in this room for hours on end..for some reason the door shut by it'self...and i'm afraid of the dark which is even worse..so yeah I was really terrfied. Beacuse all those things happened they've stayed with me ever since, I mean I love horror movies and spooky stuff. I just don't like all those things that happened, sometimes they come into my nightmares. A lot of those horrible moments distubed me and still do disturb me...even thinking about it all scares me.

i'm not sure how to get rid of it all..:( people think i'm stupid for being scared of it. I don't know how all that could have started it. Is it typical of an aspie to be bothered by those things? I dunno lol. Anyone got any idea's? Feel free to post your opinions..
and I still feel a dork for posting this haha. :P

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 9:03 am

You shouldn't feel like a dork for posting this, and EVERYBODY has things like this that still scare them in adulthood. Definitely NOT only your problem. My 20 year old aspie son still has a problem (or fear, but he won't call it that) of swimming based on once jumping into the deep end of the YMCA swimming pool when he was three, after having purposely told his Dad NOT to catch him. Well, he honestly had no idea what would happen if he couldn't swim up out of the water, and obviously thought he was going to drown (even though Dad swam to the deep end quickly and plucked him out of the water). He never did like swimming after that.

Should you think that psychiatrists are OK people, I would think this is one of the few things some psych person could specifically help with. They could slowly expose you to your fear (i.e., your fear of the dark) and with time get you completely over your fear. Heck, you could probably do this for yourself.

Kris

silent-swan8
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jan 2007, 9:07 am

Your right, Thanks for the advice.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 9:11 am

Fear is normal for anyone. Reverie is apparantly a common aspie trait, and may be part of your problem. You KNOW the fear is stupid though. Try to REASON the fear away. Eventually, you should be able to just laugh at it.

Steve

yoyo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2007, 4:28 pm

You are certainly not alone in this. There are countless times when fears and phobias I have about my past really haunt me and I can recall fearful events as clearly as though they occurred yesterday. I think it is an AS trait to have both an excellent long term memory and a heightened ability to worry illogically about things. Thank you for raising this - you are certainly no more paranoid than I.

Yoyo