No-one wants to talk about the real scandal of our time

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,500
Location: Lancashire, UK

16 Feb 2013, 7:52 pm

(The title is just for MCavalera. I'm sure he'll appreciate it.) :D

It's Peter Obore in the Torygraph. I very, very strongly disagree with him on other issues - like his constant excuses for Palestinian rejectionism and terrorism - but he's right here:

Quote:
Mid Staffs crisis: No one wants to talk about the real scandal of our time
  • The horse meat affair matters not a jot. The interesting question is why the deaths of more than 1,000 people in an NHS hospital have been ignored
At any given moment, there exists at least one delicate subject that all mainstream political parties would much rather not discuss. For many years the abuse of MPs’ expenses fell into this category. After this was exposed by a Telegraph investigation, everyone joined a tacit agreement to keep quiet about the criminality inside the Murdoch newspaper empire.

Now the subject which nobody wants to talk about is the National Health Service. It is just over a week since the publication of the Francis report into Stafford hospital, where some 1,200 patients died in appalling circumstances. Had any other institution been involved in a scandal on this scale, the consequences would have been momentous: sackings, arrests and prosecutions. Had it involved a private hospital, that hospital would have been closed down already, and those in charge publicly shamed and facing jail.

Astonishing to relate, nothing has happened. Politicians have made perfunctory expressions of concern, while agreeing that there must be “no scapegoats”, and that Sir David Nicholson (the senior figure responsible) must remain in his job.



ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 82
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,726
Location: New Jersey

16 Feb 2013, 7:59 pm

Tequila wrote:
(The title is just for MCavalera. I'm sure he'll appreciate it.) :D

It's Peter Obore in the Torygraph. I very, very strongly disagree with him on other issues - like his constant excuses for Palestinian rejectionism and terrorism - but he's right here:

Quote:
Mid Staffs crisis: No one wants to talk about the real scandal of our time
  • The horse meat affair matters not a jot. The interesting question is why the deaths of more than 1,000 people in an NHS hospital have been ignored
At any given moment, there exists at least one delicate subject that all mainstream political parties would much rather not discuss. For many years the abuse of MPs’ expenses fell into this category. After this was exposed by a Telegraph investigation, everyone joined a tacit agreement to keep quiet about the criminality inside the Murdoch newspaper empire.

Now the subject which nobody wants to talk about is the National Health Service. It is just over a week since the publication of the Francis report into Stafford hospital, where some 1,200 patients died in appalling circumstances. Had any other institution been involved in a scandal on this scale, the consequences would have been momentous: sackings, arrests and prosecutions. Had it involved a private hospital, that hospital would have been closed down already, and those in charge publicly shamed and facing jail.

Astonishing to relate, nothing has happened. Politicians have made perfunctory expressions of concern, while agreeing that there must be “no scapegoats”, and that Sir David Nicholson (the senior figure responsible) must remain in his job.


A camel is a horse designed by Parlement. NHS is a medical system designed by Socialists.

The bad news for the U.S. is we are just about to get what you guys have had since Clement Atlee sang -Jerusalem.-

ruveyn



ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2013
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 770

16 Feb 2013, 8:40 pm

What is the cause of death in those hospitals? What's the scandal about?



Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,500
Location: Lancashire, UK

16 Feb 2013, 8:48 pm

ModusPonens wrote:
What is the cause of death in those hospitals? What's the scandal about?


It's about over a thousand patients basically being neglected and left to die, sometimes in squalor, by poor NHS care.



Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,500
Location: Lancashire, UK

16 Feb 2013, 8:55 pm

Things must be pretty indefensible if even the Health Secretary is openly trying to distance himself:

Quote:
Jeremy Hunt warns NHS trusts over 'defensive culture'

Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt has warned NHS bosses against allowing a culture that is "legalistic and defensive" in dealing with staff who raise concerns over patient care.

In a letter to all English NHS trusts, Mr Hunt highlighted fears that "gagging" clauses were being used to "frustrate" such whistleblowing.

A climate of "openness and transparency" is essential, he said.



Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,949
Location: Southeast U.S.A.

16 Feb 2013, 8:56 pm

Quote:
The horse meat affair matters not a jot. The interesting question is why the deaths of more than 1,000 people in an NHS hospital have been ignored

Because to draw attention to the 1000+ deaths incriminates the NHS as a whole.
Can't have that.


_________________
“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”
- William F. Buckley


Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2012
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,967
Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

16 Feb 2013, 10:09 pm

Tequila wrote:
ModusPonens wrote:
What is the cause of death in those hospitals? What's the scandal about?


It's about over a thousand patients basically being neglected and left to die, sometimes in squalor, by poor NHS care.


Tory budget cuts?



Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,500
Location: Lancashire, UK

16 Feb 2013, 10:11 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Tory budget cuts?


No; simple lack of care by staff.



xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,571

16 Feb 2013, 10:14 pm

Right wing policies come home to roost.



Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,500
Location: Lancashire, UK

16 Feb 2013, 10:17 pm

xenon13 wrote:
Right wing policies come home to roost.


What would you have said had this been done under a Labour government? They're about the same on the NHS. I don't notice much difference between the two parties.



ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2013
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 770

16 Feb 2013, 10:30 pm

If I got it right, it was in a particular hospital and it's not a generalised situation. So what is it about that hospital that originated this terrible situation?



ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2013
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 770

16 Feb 2013, 10:31 pm

Raptor wrote:
Quote:
The horse meat affair matters not a jot. The interesting question is why the deaths of more than 1,000 people in an NHS hospital have been ignored

Because to draw attention to the 1000+ deaths incriminates the NHS as a whole.
Can't have that.


I'm sure leaving people to die at the hospitals if they don't have insurance has resulted in a much better numbers in the US :roll:



Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,500
Location: Lancashire, UK

16 Feb 2013, 10:48 pm

ModusPonens wrote:
If I got it right, it was in a particular hospital and it's not a generalised situation.


It is a generalised situation. It has happened before in many hospitals up and down the country. It just isn't as concentrated as it has been in Mid Staffordshire.

The general advice a few years ago when specifically NHS hospitals had the MRSA epidemic was: don't go into an NHS hospital for treatment unless you have no other choice.



Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,949
Location: Southeast U.S.A.

16 Feb 2013, 10:53 pm

ModusPonens wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Quote:
The horse meat affair matters not a jot. The interesting question is why the deaths of more than 1,000 people in an NHS hospital have been ignored

Because to draw attention to the 1000+ deaths incriminates the NHS as a whole.
Can't have that.


I'm sure leaving people to die at the hospitals if they don't have insurance has resulted in a much better numbers in the US :roll:


Yeah, but I doubt that many died of neglect at any one location over here in the same time-span.
Besides, your beloved NHS is supposed to be so superior that it prevents that.
:roll: :roll: :roll:


_________________
“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”
- William F. Buckley


Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,500
Location: Lancashire, UK

16 Feb 2013, 11:19 pm

Raptor wrote:
Yeah, but I doubt that many died of neglect at any one location over here in the same time-span.
Besides, your beloved NHS is supposed to be so superior that it prevents that.
:roll: :roll: :roll:


He's Portuguese, not British. No NHS for him.

While I'm about it: how much does a box of Manná Pate de Sardinha cost? We've near run out and I was wondering if the Portuguese gent knows how must it costs. Depending on his answer (and if he agrees) I'd like to buy some off him, postage costs dependent.

Yes, I'm quite serious. On a thread about the state of the UK NHS, I'm asking a Portuguese man about the price of sardine paté in Portugal.