Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 2:45 pm

Richard Chance from my favorite 80s movie ever, To Live and Die in L.A., may well be the poster boy for a sociopathic protagonist. When he says he'll do anything to catch Rick Masters, he means exactly that. He uses a female parolee as his personal hooker and informant, and later rapes her while giggling like a kid.

Yeah...

DarkSkies
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2013, 4:51 am

I've got a thing for Alex DeLarge since watching A Clockwork Orange , he's just great.

Spearghost
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Sep 2018, 3:33 pm

A maybe sociopathic character I like is Sherlock (the Benedict Cumberbatch version)

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 3:45 pm

Heath Ledger's Joker was fascinating to me. Especially the scene when Batman was coming toward him at a high rate of speed on the Batcycle and the Joker was begging Batman to hit him. It's interesting to envision a backstory of what/how the Joker got to that point to actually wish for it to happen. It would be easy to conclude that Ledger's Joker simply had a death wish. I like to think it was much deeper than that for the character. The Joker was so consumed by chaos and destruction that he was the nucleus of it and was not immune to the power it had over him as such.

Last edited by Magna on 26 Sep 2018, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 4:12 pm

I think it's because sociopaths are naturally charming people. They are very good at figuring people out quickly and telling them exactly what they want to hear so that they can manipulate them.

They can also do something really evil or immoral and somehow convince you that what they did wasn't so bad.

I really hate sociopathic "heroes" like Reddington from The Blacklist because I despise the concept of a sociopath using his evil powers to solve crimes and save the world (often at the expense of innocent people getting hurt or killed like in this show).

But I'm OK with comedic sociopaths like Bender from Futurama or the entire family in The Addams Family because that is always played for laughs and not meant to be taken too seriously.

I also liked both Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett because even though they were the main characters they were never portrayed as being "heroes". Both of them were very depraved and evil and yet in a twisted way I found myself sympathizing with both of them because Sweeney Todd was wronged by a corrupt judge who destroyed his family and Mrs. Lovett had a soft side to her when it came to taking in Toby (even though she was willing to let Todd kill him to protect their secret).

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 11:02 pm

There is a film called Gangster No. 1, which is not the greatest gangster film ever made, but the part played by Paul Bettany is mesmerisingly superb. The film is VERY violent btw.

In an earlier incarnation of the same kind of role, there is a film called Performance with James Fox playing a character called Chas, who is just as irredeemable as the above character, and possibly more fascinating. Fans of Alex de Large may go for these two characters. The film is violent, weird and arty, made in the hippie days.

On a completely different planet, and far far worse (in a very good way) is Ben Kingsley's performance as Don Logan in a film called Sexy Beast. The character of Don Logan brings new vistas of vile, putrid and nasty neurosis unencumbered by any moral compass whatsoever into a horribly irritating utter bastard of a character that anyone would leave the country to avoid - in real life. But this is superb Theatre, and it is astounding to consider that this is the actor that played Gandhi.

All Brit films, but I'm still carrying around deep memories of what Joe Pesci is capable of on screen.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 11:08 pm

I think the reason some people like these characters is in something like the same way that horror films cut things down to size, they help you express a bit of fear and fascination in a safe contained way.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 11:11 pm

Aghhh - Otis from the Devil's Rejects, another very good performance.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 11:12 pm

Alexanderplatz wrote:
There is a film called Gangster No. 1, which is not the greatest gangster film ever made, but the part played by Paul Bettany is mesmerisingly superb. The film is VERY violent btw.

In an earlier incarnation of the same kind of role, there is a film called Performance with James Fox playing a character called Chas, who is just as irredeemable as the above character, and possibly more fascinating. Fans of Alex de Large may go for these two characters. The film is violent, weird and arty, made in the hippie days.

On a completely different planet, and far far worse (in a very good way) is Ben Kingsley's performance as Don Logan in a film called Sexy Beast. The character of Don Logan brings new vistas of vile, putrid and nasty neurosis unencumbered by any moral compass whatsoever into a horribly irritating utter bastard of a character that anyone would leave the country to avoid - in real life. But this is superb Theatre, and it is astounding to consider that this is the actor that played Gandhi.

All Brit films, but I'm still carrying around deep memories of what Joe Pesci is capable of on screen.

I loved Kingsley as the Anti-Gandhi in Sexy Beast!

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 11:31 pm

Objectively terrifying.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 1:11 am

Some of my favorite funny comedic sociopaths would be Bender from Futurama, Mr. Burns from The Simpsons, Stewie from Family Guy (before the show became stupid), Karen Walker from Will & Grace, Wednesday Addams and Debbie Jellensky from The Addams Family and Addams Family Values, and Pearl Forrester from Mystery Science Theater 3000.

huimaa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2018, 1:20 am

I think these kind of characters have charisma and often sophistication which combined with no moral compass and ability to do horrible things is intriguing. I love Hannibal too (TV and movie version), probably my favorite fictional character besides Loki, heh... Well, I've always rooted for the bad guys, as a child I've identified with Disney baddies like Hades, Scar and Jafar. Those all have comedic personalities too. And love(d) Darth Maul and Vader.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 6:43 am

huimaa wrote:
I think these kind of characters have charisma and often sophistication which combined with no moral compass and ability to do horrible things is intriguing. I love Hannibal too (TV and movie version), probably my favorite fictional character besides Loki, heh... Well, I've always rooted for the bad guys, as a child I've identified with Disney baddies like Hades, Scar and Jafar. Those all have comedic personalities too. And love(d) Darth Maul and Vader.

Same here! When I was a kid I used to root for the villains all the time. Some of my favorites were Ursula in The Little Mermaid and the three witches in Hocus Pocus (I guess I have a thing for witchy female villains).

But I learned a while back that the term "sociopath" gets thrown around a lot without an actual understanding of the word (same goes for terms like "narcissist"). Just because you have a villain who does evil things that doesn't automatically make him or her a sociopath.

Some of the things that define a sociopath are a lack of empathy, total disregard for rules, and having no feelings of guilt for committing crimes or hurting others. But even people who aren't true sociopaths are capable of this too. It's a very complex thing that even most trained professionals are unable to make a clear diagnosis for. I actually learned this from my Mom who went to college to become a social worker. :)

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2019, 4:19 pm

Lena Harper

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2020, 4:39 pm

I actually quite like Kieren Wilcox :D

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2020, 4:31 am

Villanelle from Killing Eve is a very fascinating character to me. I don't know why but i even feel a bit sorry for psychopathic characters. I feel like even they would feel lonely.