Neurotypical parties/social gatherings of more than 3

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jay_1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2013, 2:40 pm

Webalina wrote:
Random42 wrote:
... Even if I end up having fun they are still somewhat stressful...

This is the weirdest part for me. When I attend a gathering it's almost never as bad as I anticipate. But when the time comes for the next one, I completely forget that I made it through the previous one and get stressed out all over again.

I have made this observation too. I have "fun", but do I find it inherently fun? not really, it's more superficial. There has to be some reason why the default party statement is "I don't want to do this" even though there have been many times in the past where it was fun. I teeter on the balance waiting for something bad to happen. So I am still putting a strong effort in to remaining vigilant, whether I realize it or not. I assume many other people at the party are essentially free of this type of stress. The fun isn't thorough enough for me to be excited for the next party.

bubuaspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Feb 2013, 2:42 pm

Me I am not all that sure as I haven't been to a party or a gathering for such a long time, last time was in high school and that was for the military ball that NJROTC had. Wasn't that bad though if it was a party full of strangers then I wouldn't have gone.

For a stressful one was when I was at a party with an extended family at one of their houses, just made me go and zone out due to the stress of it all.

Now a days I do not even go out unless there is something that I must do, though going to friend's place for a few hours doesn't bother me that much, though I'd rather not do that often.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 2:28 am

Jay_1 wrote:
Webalina wrote:
Random42 wrote:
... Even if I end up having fun they are still somewhat stressful...

This is the weirdest part for me. When I attend a gathering it's almost never as bad as I anticipate. But when the time comes for the next one, I completely forget that I made it through the previous one and get stressed out all over again.

I have made this observation too. I have "fun", but do I find it inherently fun? not really, it's more superficial. There has to be some reason why the default party statement is "I don't want to do this" even though there have been many times in the past where it was fun. I teeter on the balance waiting for something bad to happen. So I am still putting a strong effort in to remaining vigilant, whether I realize it or not. I assume many other people at the party are essentially free of this type of stress. The fun isn't thorough enough for me to be excited for the next party.

That's a good point. It's fun DESPITE the party situation rather than BECAUSE of it, the way most people experience it.

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2013, 3:53 am

I prefer small, relaxed parties, with little to no drinking. I am frequently the one to initiate these, so it says itself that I enjoy parties. :P