Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2013, 7:31 am

SakiHeart wrote:
Culture is fascinating! I write fantasy novels, and tend to do a LOT of world building particularly in the area of culture and language. I love creating a new civilization and pondering on all the factors that go into it.

This so much. I've been obsessed with the practice since I was a child (especially with languages).

SakiHeart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2013, 11:42 am

Yuugiri wrote:
SakiHeart wrote:
Culture is fascinating! I write fantasy novels, and tend to do a LOT of world building particularly in the area of culture and language. I love creating a new civilization and pondering on all the factors that go into it.

This so much. I've been obsessed with the practice since I was a child (especially with languages).

Me too! I've always been fascinated by language :D I create real languages for my writing, which is so much fun! It's a LOT of work too though, but totally worth it :)

~ Legend of the Legendary Heroes

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 12:05 am

mikassyna wrote:
dyingofpoetry wrote:
I'm a published poet and emerging playwright (my plays were produced locally). I also have a few short/flash stories available online. My "Artists on the Spectrum" profile on the ARI website is here: http://www.ariconference.com/enews/adul ... rrent.html

One of my short stories can be read here: http://www.short-story.me/mystery-stori ... sleep.html

I am in the process of writing an autobiography along with an autism educator.

Nice to meet you, fellow poet. Where can I find your book?
I had also written monologues and performed them on stage locally in NYC. I used to do many readings and performances. I miss the days when I actually had time to do all that! Now I barely get a chance to write because my kids suck all the energy out of me LOL

I have no poetry collection out yet. I'm only published in journals.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 10:38 am

dyingofpoetry wrote:
I have no poetry collection out yet. I'm only published in journals.

Which journals? Anything recent?

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 10:56 am

SakiHeart wrote:
If you're a writer, what genre do you write?

Mostly fantasy, but occasionally historical and sci-fi too. The prerequisite is that it invoke at least one of my special interests, such as dinosaurs or sexy black ladies: :D

Quote:
What genre do you like to read?

The same stuff I like to write (fantasy, historical, and sci-fi).

Quote:
What's your least favorite genre?

Anything with vampires, especially the romantic kind. Vampires have always grossed me out, and the recent sexualization fad makes it even worse.

Quote:
What's your favorite book/series?

The Imaro books by Charles R. Saunders, which take place in a fantastical version of ancient Africa. I like how they combine real African cultures and mythologies with the fantastical in order to create a unique fantasy setting, and the characterization is pretty good too.

Quote:
What's your least favorite book/series?

The worst one I can remember is Twilight, but to be fair I lie far outside its target audience anyway. The rest of the bad books I've read are either forgettable or so obscure that most people have never heard of them.

Quote:
What's your favorite part of the writing process (plotting, world building, character profiling, etc.)?

Without a doubt the world-building and character design, especially the visual aspects (drawing maps and characters, for example).

Quote:
If you could travel into any book, which would you choose?

Jurassic Park, because everything is better with dinosaurs.

Quote:
In your opinion is the book always better than the movie?

Actually, I like the movie version of JP better than the book. The book does have more depth to its world-building which I like, but I like the character development in the movie a lot better (plus there's something to be said for actually seeing the dinosaurs in action in a visual medium).

nintendogurl1990
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Feb 2013, 2:07 pm

I would like to be a writer! :D

Trinab
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2013, 2:09 pm

Hello SakiHeart,

Like you, I am a writer, and, also like you, my genre of choice is fantasy. I am currently working on my first novel, after a long development of world-building. My favorite genre to read is also fantasy, although good dramatic pieces such as thrillers can get me quite interested as well.

Genre I dislike the most is likely romance, as in I have very little interest in reading it. I can appreciate the good ones, but I will not go and seek out romance books if I can help it.

My favorite book/series is a tougher question. Currently the front runner is Steven Erikson's 'Malazan Book of the Fallen' series, a very dense, long, and well crafted universe, while suffering a little in story and characterization.

My least favorite series that I've personally read is probably the dross they published in relation to the Warcraft universe. I read them, curious if I could find any lore tidbits I may have missed while playing the game, and finished the books massively disappointed in almost everything about them.

The writing process as a whole is wonderful, but world-building is definitely one that I enjoy, although I hate how time-consuming it can be. The actual writing of the book itself is also amazingly enjoyable.

If I could travel into any book, I think I would avoid almost all of them, as my favorite books tend to be based in dangerous worlds where the average person is out of luck. However, perhaps the world of Middle Earth, post the events of The Lord of the Rings. Evil is gone, and one could enjoy touring the places in safety.

As for your last question, I think it is no, as movies tell a story in a different way then books. I have seen books that I felt would of made pretty good movies, but only made for mediocre books, and the opposite is true as well. It depends largely on the story being told. Most novels, however, are of a certain density, that the movie process does detract from them.

Keep writing!

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 3:07 pm

SakiHeart wrote:

If you're a writer, what genre do you write? What genre do you like to read? What's your least favorite genre? What's your favorite book/series? What's your least favorite book/series? What's your favorite part of the writing process (plotting, world building, character profiling, etc.)? If you could travel into any book, which would you choose? In your opinion is the book always better than the movie?

I am currently writing a Sci Fi/fantasy dark story. I like reading varied genres but I love Stephen King. Least favorite....chic lit (don't bother with it). I loved the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov. I will agree with the poster who said Fifty Shades of Grey, I read two chapters and had to throw down, and yes it is depressing this book has sold millions. Favorite part about writing is writing of course. If I could travel into a book I would love to visit the Overlook Hotel in The Shining. Yes books are overwhelmingly always better than the movie....except perhaps Twilight series and perhaps when Fifty Shades of Grey comes out the film will have to be better.

Pianist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Feb 2013, 3:51 pm

I like The Hobbit. That's a good fantasy book. I also like the Tyrant stories by Piers Anthony which are fantasy science fiction. The Neverending Story is another favourite fantasy book. I used to read quite a lot of Stephen King and Dean Koontz but at the moment I prefer Thomas Hardy and other classic/romantic writers.

I wrote something myself too, a collection of short stories and poems I spent over 10 years producing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/15-Minutes-Of-Fame-ebook/dp/B00BFUO01Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361393127&sr=8-1

SakiHeart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2013, 3:58 pm

Trinab wrote:
Like you, I am a writer, and, also like you, my genre of choice is fantasy. I am currently working on my first novel, after a long development of world-building.

I'm currently working on my first novel too :D I've spent two years now world-building and am finally writing the actual novel. It's so much fun!

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 4:55 pm

I write, but everything that comes out is s**t.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 6:55 pm

Giftorcurse wrote:
I write, but everything that comes out is sh**.

More times than I can count I've thought that about my own writing. I can be my worst and most soul crushing critic.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Adamalone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2013, 5:43 am

no matter how good of a writer you are you will never be able to completely translate the idea in your head to paper in the way you want, which for us writers means that you will never be happy with your work.
so as a general rule if you think it sucks then your doing it right and that apply's to all writers

SakiHeart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2013, 3:43 pm

Adamalone wrote:
no matter how good of a writer you are you will never be able to completely translate the idea in your head to paper in the way you want, which for us writers means that you will never be happy with your work.
so as a general rule if you think it sucks then your doing it right and that apply's to all writers

In addition to that, I've yet to come across an author who says they write good rough drafts. In fact, all the authors I've met or read quotes by have said the exact opposite. Any published author will tell you that everything you write initially is going to be mostly crap. No matter how talented you are as a writer, every piece of writing needs a LOT of revising, so it's important to not throw a story out just because it doesn't sound right the first time through :)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 6:32 pm

SakiHeart wrote:
Adamalone wrote:

In addition to that, I've yet to come across an author who says they write good rough drafts. In fact, all the authors I've met or read quotes by have said the exact opposite. Any published author will tell you that everything you write initially is going to be mostly crap. No matter how talented you are as a writer, every piece of writing needs a LOT of revising, so it's important to not throw a story out just because it doesn't sound right the first time through :)

Absolutely true. Every time I start something new, I always feel like I'm losing my talent because that first draft is just so awful!
But you know, I have always likened writing to sculpturing in clay. That is, it's a matter of molding the words into what you intend it to be. Or sometimes, you'll surprise yourself, and getting something unintended, but even better. 8)

SakiHeart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2013, 2:52 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
SakiHeart wrote:
Adamalone wrote:

Absolutely true. Every time I start something new, I always feel like I'm losing my talent because that first draft is just so awful!
But you know, I have always likened writing to sculpturing in clay. That is, it's a matter of molding the words into what you intend it to be. Or sometimes, you'll surprise yourself, and getting something unintended, but even better. 8)

Exactly! That's an excellent analogy for it :D