Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MDShinobi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2013, 7:25 am

What does everybody think of "Touch" - the recent tv series about an autistic boy named Jake and his father, that's just moved onto it's second season...?

Does anybody feel misrepresented, or did the director/produces get things spot on? Do you think the show should continue? Etc...?

HauntedKnight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Feb 2013, 9:51 am

Isn't he supposed to be 'mis-diagnosed' as autistic? I liked the show in parts, but a lot of it was getting too cheesy for me.

MDShinobi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2013, 10:10 am

HauntedKnight wrote:
Isn't he supposed to be 'mis-diagnosed' as autistic? I liked the show in parts, but a lot of it was getting too cheesy for me.

Hmm, I don't know if he was supposed to be mis-diagnosed... I sure hope not.
And, yeah, I loved it at the beginning, I was like: "finally, a voice!" - but then towards the end of season 1 it was more "if you're going to use autism as a theme or discuss it in anyway, then stick to the facts, don't start theorizing or making stuff up."

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 8:27 am

I like the show for what it is, the plot is interesting i guess.
It is true that they should represent Autism better. They seem to have stereotyped it to different degrees with Jake and Amelia.
The show is a little new age, reminds me of people who think we are Indigo children or something lol.
Then the shows mentions a 36 savants hidden in some mystic judiasm.
Jake clearly telepaths with Amelia.
Then you have the savant guy who crashed the car and messed up his vegetable brother, and he just cured his brother with some biohack brain mod... yeah right like that would happen.
Then they shot Amelia's mother. Why both parents would split while still near the bad people is beyond me... Obviously she didn't renew her contract that season aiiiiiiii

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 8:51 am

I love Sutherland. He always gets into some quirky movies and shows.

Anyway Jake is not supposed to be autistic. However, it could be an interesting commentary on autistics (that they are more in tune with things that NT's aren't) although that is not the purpose of the story. The underlying theme seems to be: They take someone who is misunderstood, slap a label on him and miss the bigger picture. Is it a commentary on the psychiatric community, society at large, people's unwillingness to think outside the box, etc.? Similar themes to many other shows but with a slightly different twist. I enjoy the show despite the overdone theme.

MDShinobi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2013, 1:53 pm

mikassyna wrote:
The underlying theme seems to be: They take someone who is misunderstood, slap a label on him and miss the bigger picture. Is it a commentary on the psychiatric community, society at large, people's unwillingness to think outside the box, etc.?

That's true, and it's better than nothing - as long as someone else out there recognizes us as a part of this neurally misunderstood group.

But Jake IS autistic - it doesn't matter if he wasn't supposed to me, they're portraying him as autistic.