Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 12:08 pm

i am having an interview for university next week, and i have gone through the whole process in my head about 10 times and its starting to annoy me, but i cant stop obsessivly going over it, i also do this with normal conversations but because its an interview its worse i suppose. does anyone else do this or have any advice on how to stop it.

i kind of pretend im at the interview and keep answering the questions i think they will ask, i can spend hours doing this and i think in the long run it is going to make me more anxious.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 12:46 pm

Try letting the thoughts run through your head like background music. Your mind may be stuck, but you don't have to actively feed it.

hickeyj
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Feb 2013, 10:38 pm

franknfurter wrote:
i am having an interview for university next week, and i have gone through the whole process in my head about 10 times and its starting to annoy me, but i cant stop obsessivly going over it, i also do this with normal conversations but because its an interview its worse i suppose. does anyone else do this or have any advice on how to stop it.

i kind of pretend im at the interview and keep answering the questions i think they will ask, i can spend hours doing this and i think in the long run it is going to make me more anxious.

Visualizing has the potential to be incredibly beneficial; athletes use it, people use it before a speech, and it can prepare you well. It is kind of your brain's way of lessening the novelty of a new situation (I especially panic unless I'm prepared for something). What has helped me is to make sure the whole thing goes reasonably well in my mind, so I sometimes come out with some confidence, like I can do it. It can be a good thing sometimes, as long as you don't let anxiety overtake you.
That's the best I've got, let me know if you come up with something else, I definitely need to stop stressing so much too

BlackSabre7
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 10:50 pm

I get the same problem, sometimes before AND after the event. It can drive me mad, and it's worse if it is a song.
I do find that conversations can go better if I have done it before, because some answers are so well rehearsed.
Sometimes I can' stop it, but sometimes I find I can pick something else to focus on and it will 'take'. Make a new obsession to override the old one.
Hey, good luck with your interview.