Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

21 Feb 2013, 1:45 am

Sarah81 wrote:
Pdoc treated my hypomania by increasing my lithium. The effect is as though I have run at full speed into a brick wall. I think the hypomania has stopped at least, and that I'll recover soon enough, and hopefully that will be all I'll need.

PDOC = psychiatrist? I wonder what effect noopept would have on true bipolar. It's making me just more emotional in general, which is what I wanted, but not sure if affects the cycles.

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2013, 4:07 am

Tyri0n wrote:
Sarah81 wrote:
Pdoc treated my hypomania by increasing my lithium. The effect is as though I have run at full speed into a brick wall. I think the hypomania has stopped at least, and that I'll recover soon enough, and hopefully that will be all I'll need.

PDOC = psychiatrist? I wonder what effect noopept would have on true bipolar. It's making me just more emotional in general, which is what I wanted, but not sure if affects the cycles.

PDoc is a term I learned somewhere on the net and I use it for psychiatrist. I have never heard of noopept before so I read the Wikipedia entry on it and for nootropic drugs. Sounds like it probably could affect the mood cycles in some way. I know that I have to avoid St John's Wort because it's thought to have a similar action to SSRIs which destabilise moods in bipolar.

Do you know of a substance that could make someone less emotional, less sensitive?

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 4:35 am

Sarah81 wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Sarah81 wrote:

PDoc is a term I learned somewhere on the net and I use it for psychiatrist. I have never heard of noopept before so I read the Wikipedia entry on it and for nootropic drugs. Sounds like it probably could affect the mood cycles in some way. I know that I have to avoid St John's Wort because it's thought to have a similar action to SSRIs which destabilise moods in bipolar.

Do you know of a substance that could make someone less emotional, less sensitive?

For me, several things have done this, and one thing I wanted was to get the opposite effect, which noopept seems to do (though that wasn't the main reason I took it). I'm not typically emotional during my manic episodes, just energetic or sometimes just angry and hostile (will have to see what noopept does there, can't be worse than Zoloft though).

marijuana
anything that inhibits Seratonin (Zoloft for example)
5-HTP
St. John's Wort

You're NT, so it's likely that different advice applies than to me, the alexithemic. But I was just wondering if noopept, designed as a treatment for brain damage, could help bipolar as well since isn't bipolar related to damage to the areas that regulate emotion?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Your description actually sounds just like me, and it was triggered by withdrawing from 100 mg Zoloft suddenly. Do you think this could have caused brain damage triggering cyclothymia/pre-bipolar?

Not brain damage, but it can put your neurotransmitters out of whack. (chemical, not physical)

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 5:08 pm

Ettina wrote:
Quote:
Your description actually sounds just like me, and it was triggered by withdrawing from 100 mg Zoloft suddenly. Do you think this could have caused brain damage triggering cyclothymia/pre-bipolar?

Not brain damage, but it can put your neurotransmitters out of whack. (chemical, not physical)

So it's temporary?

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 9:13 pm

It is my personal belief that hypomania/mania has a different presentation in people with Aspergers than people without. I think that people with Aspergers are naturally drawn to be more rigid in routine and cautious in spending and risky behaviour etc (due to rigid routine and strong ideas of right and wrong). For this reason I believe that the outward symptoms of hypomania (even if the emotions were the same) would be less obvious and less extreme in a person with Aspergers, and perhaps different all together.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 12:04 am

Well, full cycle.

I've wanted to die since the second week of May. Probably stabilized about two weeks ago, and it's better.

January-February 2011: up
June-July 2011: up
February-April 2012: up
July 2012: up
November-December 2012: up
February-March 2013: up

May 2011: trough
August 2011: trough
SSRI's - March 2012
May 2012: trough
September 2012: trough
May 2013: trough

June 2013: mixed

glow
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 3:14 pm

Tough sh~~ and no one would know unless they've actually got it but seeing as the OP is relating to manic episodes in general most of which i've suffered with over a course of time, its thought to occur in someone with a neurotic self absorbed state but quote me wrong if you wish then requite me, when you do actually have it.

ODDyseus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jul 2013, 5:00 pm

I've had multiple episodes of crushing depression beginning in my teens or earlier, the kind where I lose 20 lbs.

I can't say that I've had much hypomania, the highest I seemed to get was Mixed, and that happened pretty frequently. This was pretty bad socially, energetic enough to talk and interact freely with people, yet still so negative enough to be disturbing. This was like pushed speech coming from a dark place. Zoloft put me there once.

I had one episode of incontrovertible hypomania on a trial of Strattera. I think that's enough to confirm I'm bipolar. I remember reading some researchers were floating the idea of calling that Bipolar 3 a number of years ago, if a med brought on symptoms.

Plus, mood stabilizers have worked well for me.