Things you can do for free around a town

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

19 Feb 2013, 9:14 pm

So, here's my dilemma: I want to do things for free because I am a bit strapped, so to speak.

What kind of things can I do free around a town? All I can think of go to a library, look at a store (and make a list of things to get), walk around a park......... anything more?

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

19 Feb 2013, 10:53 pm

Jog, bike, window shop, attend free local events, street art, relax in a park while reading a book, maybe you could arrange an event if you like.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2013, 11:00 pm

OK, all good stuff, Makayla. :D

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2013, 11:11 pm

Sit on a street corner and start jotting down license plate numbers.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

19 Feb 2013, 11:18 pm

Krabo wrote:
Sit on a street corner and start jotting down license plate numbers.

I find this funny for some reason.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 1:23 am

equestriatola wrote:
So, here's my dilemma: I want to do things for free because I am a bit strapped, so to speak.

What kind of things can I do free around a town? All I can think of go to a library, look at a store (and make a list of things to get), walk around a park......... anything more?

Might wanna gather with some buds while a local band or bands are playing, get walkin', and if they're really cool they will let you in for free. Happened to me lots of times. We've got in so many shows for free and backstage just by talking and hanging out with the band before they go in to play...

Last edited by Pondering on 20 Feb 2013, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 1:24 am

Skate, yo (or ride, as mentioned).

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 1:55 am

Depends on where you live. Hiking/Biking are big ones of mine. Look for state or federal parks in your area, they're usually free (or extremely cheap) and can have lots of things to do. Visiting historical places/museums is another often-overlooked one...civil war forts/battlefields are usually free and can be really interesting. But those aren't the only kind of museum/historical place out there...I can almost guarantee there's some interesting ones in your area you haven't heard of or been to! In a lot of areas churches have choral concerts that they put on for free, they can be really good sometimes!! You could exercise, go jogging or something.

If you have a boat of any kind (powerboat or canoe) that's always a fun outing. Of course it requires either the upfront cost or a rental...they can be cheap to rent though, at least near me ($5 a day for a canoe). You can visit a planetarium or go STARGAZING! Have a picnic in a park!

Most of my hobbies are free so that's why I came up with so many ideas lol.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 2:09 am

Sometimes I wished I lived in downtown Seattle where I'm within walking distance of concert halls. night clubs and Town Hall. Yep, depending on the day, they all have free shows. Even though some might have a cover price, $5 isn't going to set me back that far. That said, I'd probably still prefer someone to hang out with, though, as going to those places by myself seems like a bummer.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 4:55 pm

^ I should try that.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 11:44 pm

I use the "Time Out" magazine for my city and filter for "free". If the OP is really in LA, here's a list of 312 free events to choose from: http://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/sear ... et_click=1

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 7:07 am

art gallery, bookshops, festivals, stargazing, poetry nights, other community events like free plays or shows, comedy acts