Aspergers, job and teenager problems! Please help!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2013, 10:03 pm

I have been working with a dog training group for a little over a year now as an aperentice trainer. They told me once I learned how to handle their dogs and when I turned 16 they will hire me. But I recently went on a trip with them to another dog training group. It was pretty much like a business trip. Being an aspie, I don't travel well. I had to share small spaces with other people, I wasn't on my meds because I lost them and the other people were talking down to me because of my young age. I wasn't super happy and I can't hide my feelings at all! They said after the trip that I was rude, embaressing and seemed uninterested. They also said theres not enough money to hire me but they would like me to work 3 or 4 days a week (for free) to learn. By learning they mean kennel work. By kennel work they mean cleaning up dog crap. I tried not to seem rude, I tried to be quiet to aviod being rude! I need a job because I just got a car a few days ago and cars need gas and gas isn't free. But I can't be a waiteress or cashier because that is all being good with people, money and numbers and I am not. Clearly. I don't know what I am suppoesed to do. I need an aspie friendly teenager job. Any ideas?

dajand8
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2013, 10:54 pm

I think a waitress or cashier would be a good job idea. Those jobs require fake, superficial type socializing. Really easy to learn and repeat constantly. You just need to learn what to say. Even NT's in these jobs seem "fakey" in these jobs, and it is generally accepted.

Ollipeist
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2013, 1:03 am

You could go with any number of choices with a lot of variations but your best bet would be to find a place that u can blend in. I worked in healthcare with clients who had developmental disabilitys. It was a fun job because u can be different and blend in. I worked there for 4 years. There were some not so nice nts but as long as u don't say much it blows over. Another possible option, u could look into video game stores or anything with technology. Though the above comment makes sence. It is repetetive communication. You can cut and dry the same routine customer after customer and people r in a hurry. It's a good place for learning social interaction. Even when u r not talking to someone directly you can observe conversations and mimic certain aspects after studying said aspects. Be patient and dont give up u can do it.