Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

quirky123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2013, 10:46 am

I have autism and other learning disabilities. I want to go to art school but I'm don't want to struggle and get depressed like last time. I was in special ed since being young and secondary school system didn't do anything good in preparing me. I'm think I'm creative. I like to study something like art and design. Did anyone with autism/learning disabilties go to art school and how did you cope?

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 11:41 am

I did not go to art school but I find with art I have a hard time with knowing where eye movement and think my eyes move with respect to the art in different ways to everyone else. I am doing well in an art history class. I don't think I can be of more help.

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2013, 2:35 pm

If you're not sure you can cope, do you have any community or other colleges you can get to which offer low-cost adult continuing education courses or allow people to sit in on a course or two for no credit? Most of them have art courses. That way, you could see what art courses are like and get some idea how you would do as an art student without the pressure.

quirky123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Feb 2013, 5:35 am

Thanks for comments

I still don't know if school may be right for me. I mean I was put in very low special classes and it was hell. The classes didn't even do exams. I tried going back to school before the college itself ad the course didn't fit me. It was a rubbish experiance. I'm love being creative but I still don't really know if I'm good to get a degree in it even though i'm a hard worker. I only discovered I had aspergers not very long ago. Don't know what to do :(

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 9:36 am

^^^ Whatever you do, don't go to a private Art School. I'm not sure where you are, but here in the US most community colleges offer degrees in graphic design and they are usually very supportive of people with special challenges especially if you have an official diagnosis (that's very important).

So, I'd say contact your local Community College, talk to an adviser and see what they can do for you