Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 8:15 pm

particular types of glossy paper. the kind of glossy that sort of squeaks a bit when you run your finger along it. slippery smooth glossy i don't mind.
styrofoam
dry/dusty things. especially drywall and chalk.
glassware that has been washed in a dishwasher.
wool
rubberbands
skin moisturizer
particular types of plastic shopping bags
anything sticky.

That's just tactile stuff. The list expands if food is entered into the equation. I should mention that I have a coping ritual associated with uncomfortable texture. In most cases if I touch something included in the above list, I have to immediately wash my hands to erase the uncomfortable feeling.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 12:33 am

Any prickly, scratchy fabric--wool, starched shirts, etc... Also, I dislike cool, smooth, satin-y textures on my skin, such as the lining in a suit jacket. In terms of clothing, it's basically cotton and only cotton for me.

The sound of two paper towels rubbing together can make me cringe; so can the sound of a knife running across tin foil. Strands of hair sticking to my hands when they're wet gives me the creeps for some reason.

Quote:
...and the texture of wet wood (especially Popsicle sticks and wooden spoons - how do people put that in their mouths?!

I cringe at the thought of two wet popsicle sticks being rubbed together.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 2:34 am

I hate most fabrics that aren't cotton or soft denim; I too have a problem with heavily dyed, stiff denim, it scratches and pricks until I wash it several times. I hate polyester, and shirts with the logos sewn on from the inside, they scratch like crazy. Bra shopping is absolutely impossible. I have a total of two bras that I find tolerable, and I'm getting nervous because they're starting to get old and holey, and I have yet to find a replacement that doesn't drive me crazy. Sometimes I just don't bother with them. I also really hate socks that don't come up past my ankle and I'll go without socks rather than wear them. I can't wear trousers with bare feet either as the hem always tickles and brushes lightly in a way that makes me want to scream. Clothes shopping is a ridiculously tremendous ordeal, and I'd just as soon not bother with the nonsense.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 12:22 am

StarTrekker wrote:
I also really hate socks that don't come up past my ankle and I'll go without socks rather than wear them.

Low-cut socks drive me crazy. Can't stand em.

Quote:
I can't wear trousers with bare feet either as the hem always tickles and brushes lightly in a way that makes me want to scream.

I dislike pants that touch my feet as well. Equally annoying are shirt sleeves that extend beyond my wrist and come in contact with my hands.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 8:53 am

Wool. The time last I wore wool, my feet looked like they'd been burnt. :(

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 9:20 am

Newsprint makes me fell like my hands are full of tiny splinters. And I can't stand touching raw meat. I feel dizzy when making hamburgers.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 10:15 am

Aprilviolets wrote:
I don't like prickly textures I remember having a jumper that was supposed to be wool and it was uncomfortable even with a skivvy under it.

I'm totally there with you.

awesomeautist
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2013, 4:55 pm

Shower drains get full of this goop formed by rotten soap scum and hair, that stuff makes me want to puke.

ilkhanid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jun 2013, 4:12 am

physicsnut42 wrote:
Quordoroy, fleece, suede, and velvet. Especially velvet.

With you there:corduroy (as I spell it) especially...gives me chills. Unfortunately I like the look of velvet and suede,so I put up with them. After all, if I'm inside them I will be touching them less.

MrStewart wrote:
particular types of glossy paper. the kind of glossy that sort of squeaks a bit when you run your finger along it. slippery smooth glossy i don't mind.

Same here. Conversely I love certain dry, crisp paper textures,like those you find on some posters and I go out of my way to find and use them at work. I love the sound and sensation when I cut them with a scissors. In fact,when I see somebody in a movie cutting paper with a scissors, I always find it pleasurable and sensual.
I like soggy cereal, though. I leave the milk on it for an hour to get the right degree of sticky,clogged sogginess.
I hate slimy things.Slugs creep me out. But cat's fur-I love it.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jun 2013, 8:04 am

Cotton balls, facial tissues, and wool. I really dislike the feeling of them rubbing on themselves in my hands.

I don't like anything sticky on my skin. As a child my mother called me "Sticky Vicky" because I couldn't abide with anything sticky on my hands and she'd have to get me a wet washcloth immediately so I could methodically wipe my hands, including between all my fingers.

I also don't like tags on my clothing or shirt collars that are too close to my neck.

I don't like low cut socks either. They need to be above my ankle or I'll go without. I moved to Florida 3 years ago so I mostly wear flip-flops now, but they have to fit me just right or the part between the toes drive me crazy.

Oh, and issues with fingernails: I keep my nails very short and I hate the feeling of nail polish.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jun 2013, 1:02 am

Really greasy wood is horrible. Fingernails on paper... not sure if feeling or sound.

brightonpete
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2018, 7:28 am

Textures to me is completely different. Smooth textures are boring to me. I feel nothing when I touch something smooth. The texture of a chipped finger/toe-nail excites me. I keep rubbing it. Same with the cuticle of my right thumb. Not the left, just the right! Textures that have a pleasant feeling to them, like the skin of citrus. The bumps excite my brain. Rough textures though, not so much - like a 'textured' concrete. It is very harsh and sharp. Just ask my knee as I went for a flying leap a week ago & tore it up. Unfortunately, I loose my balance often & sometimes fall.

huimaa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2018, 7:35 am

Mushy fruit. Bananas are the worst, then too ripe pears and so on.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 8:44 am

Velour fabrics give me the creeps.

I can't stand mayonnaise. It's too slippery in the mouth.

Hard boiled eggs give me chest pains.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 8:47 am

Bananas are way too mushy for me, too. I can't stand the smell, either. They are supposed to be an excellent source of potassium and a good food when you play endurance sports like tennis, but I just can't eat them.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 10:18 am

For me it's taste textures. I can't eat most vegetables because they make me want to throw up the minute I put them in my mouth and chew on them.

It really sucks because I need to eat a healthier diet and it feels impossible because of that. :(

I also have a problem with loud noises especially the jets that fly over my house.