Page 14 of 16 [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 9:57 am

I find Asperger's to just be a "trait" which might run in families. I don't find it to be an instance of "evolution."

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 10:03 am

The core question, "Is Asperger's Evolution in Process?" is answered by yes. Simply because everything is evolution in process.

If it's alive, it is an evolutionary step in one direction or another.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 10:42 am

The perceived increase in autism might indicate that society has reached a point where the world we've created pushes the limits of what a human being can tolerate, in terms of noise, lights, confusion, and chemical bombardment. If more and more people are unable to tolerate this artificial, stressful environment, it might cause us to evolve toward a calmer, more natural lifestyle. And that would be a good thing, I think.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 10:56 am

If AS is an example of evolution in action, then people with AS are more successful at reproducing (and passing AS traits on to their offspring) or are achieving dominance of the human race over NTs by some other means.

LOL.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 11:04 am

An evolutionary advantage is one that provides for greater reproductive capability - physical strength and higher intelligence are two examples of such evolutionary advantages.

Trouble relating to others? Not an evolutionary advantage.

Trouble with change? Not an evolutionary advantage.

Delayed communicative development? Not an evolutionary advantage.

Fidgeting and "flapping"? Not evolutionary advantages.

No "sense of danger"? Not an evolutionary advantage.

No "theory of mind"? Not an evolutionary advantage.

Inappropriate emotional expression? Not an evolutionary advantage.

Anything that could drive away a potential mate is simply not an evolutionary advantage, because without the opportunity to reproduce, any alleged "advantage" dies with the childless person who has it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 11:09 am

MaxE wrote:
If AS is an example of evolution in action, then people with AS are more successful at reproducing (and passing AS traits on to their offspring) or are achieving dominance of the human race over NTs by some other means.

LOL.

Yeah. That's what I argued in the above pages when this thread started a coupla years ago. But that lady named "guzzle" just fought me tooth and nail. But she seems to have left the WP site since then. So she cant respond to you. Woulda been interesting to see her response.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 11:11 am

Fnord wrote:
Fidgeting and "flapping"? Not evolutionary advantages.

Dinosaurs who fidgeted and flapped eventually became birds... And survived. We'll get there in a few billion years!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 4:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I find Asperger's to just be a "trait" which might run in families. I don't find it to be an instance of "evolution."
What is evolution if not a multitude of traits? Don't small traits add up to big changes over time?
MaxE wrote:

LOL.
And if people with AS are less successful at reproducing is that evolution? Evolution away from AS? Evolution towards NT? Is extinction a part of evolution?

Last edited by RetroGamer87 on 03 Apr 2016, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 5:09 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
What is evolution if not a multitude of traits? Don't small traits add up to big changes over time?
MaxE wrote:

LOL.
And if people with AS are less successful at reproducing is that evolution? Evolution away from AS? Evolution towards NT? Is extinction a part of evolution?
MaxE wrote:

LOL.

Its evolution pruning aspergers down to being the only 1.5 percent of the population it is now- keeping it just a hair above extinction. So basically yes-it is evolution away from something that is rare to begin with.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 6:01 pm

Fnord wrote:
Anything that could drive away a potential mate is simply not an evolutionary advantage, because without the opportunity to reproduce, any alleged "advantage" dies with the childless person who has it.
I've found a partner but I don't want kids. I don't want to her have her contraceptive implant taken out. She doesn't either. Does that mean I'm losing the game of evolution?

SSmith44
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2016, 7:35 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
SSmith44 wrote:
I was diagnosed with Asperger's so if you think I don't have it then you're faulting the diagnosis system too. I know they say it's spectrum, but you could do that with anything. I'm sure measles has similar traits with different diseases.

I do have some social difficulties, but then so do people who don't have autism. Lots of people are sensitive or shy without being autistic.

I don't feel I'm anything the same as autistic people who are mentally ret*d or can't function at all, so I don't think Asperger's should be called the same as autism.

The core traits are the same it is the severity that varies widely. Mentally ret*d totally non functioning autistic people exist but they far from the only classicly autistic people. People who have some social difficulties and repetitive behavoirs are far the only Aspies around. I can present as almost normal. I graduated college worked most of the time for the next 25 years, but not in the last 10, never had a relationship of any kind and only lived away from home in college and in rehab the last year and have been diagnosed with Aspergers.

Aspergers is not seperate from autism, but it was wrong to just label everyone ASD also. The problem is the Autism sub categories are misleading and inadequate.

Ok well I see we will never agree and you don't seem to see my point of view, but personally while there might be some similar traits in mentally ret*d people with autism who can never communicate with others, as there are similar traits with other conditions, I don't think those types and geniuses should be considered as having the same condition. Taking away the name Asperger's to just being autism spectrum disorder is wrong in my opinion, as what they call low functioning wouldn't meet the diagnoses from Hans Asperger.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 8:47 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I've found a partner but I don't want kids. I don't want to her have her contraceptive implant taken out. She doesn't either. Does that mean I'm losing the game of evolution?

Short answer: yes. You have lost the evolution game because your genes will stop with you, and not be in the next generation. Whether that should matter to you, or not,is an open question.

Long answer: Hard to say. By not reproducing yourself you may indirectly help the children of your siblings to survive- thus helping you genetic line to continue in some indirect way that may not be obvious. For example slowing the population growth may help society which in turn helps members of society survive who may include folks with similiar DNA to you survive.

Decadeology
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2016, 8:53 pm

I view autism as being a schism between body and soul. It's both a spiritual path, and an injury at the same time.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 9:23 pm

Decadeology wrote:
I view autism as being a schism between body and soul. It's both a spiritual path, and an injury at the same time.

Huh?

You can choose a "spiritual path".

You don't choose to be autistic.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 9:27 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Decadeology wrote:

Huh?

You can choose to take the travails of being Autistic and letting that guide a spiritual path.

There are a lot of things you can't choose, but can let any or all of it guide or illuminate or beat down your path.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

SSmith44
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Apr 2016, 11:14 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Decadeology wrote:

Huh?

Doesn't make sense to me. I don't think it's anything to do with body and soul. If anything, I think I'm more connected to spirituality than most people.