Adam Lanza diagnosed Aspergers, what happens with bad care

Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 12:16 pm

Yeah. I had an early environment that was actually quite a lot like the one they describe for Adam Lanza. I was raised by a single mom with occasional "help" from less-than-kind stepfathers. I switched schools a lot, back and forth to home-schooling. I had very little counseling and no diagnosis until I got out on my own and away from my psychology-hating mom. Heck, my mom's even a paranoid conspiracy theorist. You'd think that would be the perfect storm for a mass shooting if the Lanza case were any indication, but I think I'm probably among the least likely to ever try anything like that. I don't even kill spiders, for heaven's sake. Life is sacred and if I were to get even more traumatized for some reason, I'd just get nightmares and start hiding in my apartment, get depressed, and probably cope by doing more volunteer work just so I'd feel halfway useful. Shooting up a school is about as natural to me as space travel is to a catfish.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

matt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 2:28 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
That's too easy and leaves out the obvious fact anyone can reach their breaking point, genetic factors can influence what will cause that in an individual but the environmental factors are just as important. The thinking that it's only somehow bad, evil, wrong biology that can lead to such things is ignorant as well as dangerous.

I'd like to see what environmental factors in the society he was brought up in are the cause for someone to murder 20+ children (specifically targeting them too, not like say, "collateral damage"), that's discounting acquired pathological entities that might change cognitive functioning and behavior (biology). There's group behavior which can do this, i.e., the usual genocides, but the causes of that are well known -- demonizing and mental conditioning via social empathy and/or threats of violence. These people are all "bad" too.

Saying someone is just "bad" or "sick" doesn't lead anywhere. It's the acts people do that make them "bad" or "sick", then you go from there when someone does such an act.

The reason can be hate, rage, frustration, and/or any other negative emotion, but they themselves don't cause "bad" acts such as this; most people feel these things yet most people don't specifically go out of their way to murder children. Hence, a "bad" person.

Saying someone is just bad or evil isn't an oversimplification either -- sometimes that's the most reasonable answer when everything is looked at.

Adam may have done nothing wrong and/or bad at all leading up to this (though this would be unlikely), but his final moments on earth were irredeemable, and were the actions of a bad/evil person.
Your arguments are ridiculous.

Of course the interactions that a person has as a child have great influence on how they act as an adult. Consider that child molesters often were molested as children. Either it's reasonable to assume that child molesters are attracted to children they somehow instinctually know will grow up to also molest children, or it's reasonable to assume that being subjected to child molestation has the ability to influence a child's development and increase the likelihood that they will do something which almost anyone would consider horrible.

Even something that may have a small effect on an an adult can have a profound reaction on a child's development.

It would be easier if all there was to consider were that some people are just born biologically evil, but people's experiences can fundamentally change them. I've heard many stories of how people's personalities have been changed by tragedy or by success or by sudden good fortune.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 5:24 pm

Theuniverseman wrote:
All Adam Lanza did was kill twenty children and six adult staff members at an elementary school...

He also killed his mother and himself.

Evil is as evil does.

Adam Lanza was evil, no doubt about it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 6:03 pm

matt wrote:
Of course the interactions that a person has as a child have great influence on how they act as an adult. Consider that child molesters often were molested as children. Either it's reasonable to assume that child molesters are attracted to children they somehow instinctually know will grow up to also molest children, or it's reasonable to assume that being subjected to child molestation has the ability to influence a child's development and increase the likelihood that they will do something which almost anyone would consider horrible.
There isn't a very strong causal relationship, if any.

Research Inconclusive About Whether Child Victims Become Adult Abusers

Quote:
(1) there was no consensus among the 23 retrospective and 2 prospective studies reviewed that childhood sexual abuse led directly to the victim becoming an adult sexual abuser; (2) the retrospective studies, which sought to determine whether a sample of known sex offenders had been sexually abused as children, differed considerably in the types of offenders studied, use of control or comparison groups, and definition and reporting of childhood sexual abuse; (3) although some of the retrospective studies concluded that childhood sexual abuse may increase the risk that victims will commit sexual abuse later, most of the studies noted that the majority of sex offenders had not been sexually abused as children; (4) the prospective studies, which tracked sexually abused children into adulthood to determine how many became sex offenders, studied sample populations that may not be representative of the entire population of childhood sexual abuse victims; and (5) the prospective studies found that victims of childhood sexual abuse were not more likely than nonvictims to be arrested for sex offenses.

I have been trying to find some statistics, but it seems that the actual increased risk is small if it's there at all, and is definitely overshadowed by other factors. We are nowhere near the idea that "Being abused causes you to become an abuser". There are vague hints that it might increase your chances, but that's all.

Autism Memorial:

matt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 6:11 pm

Wow. It seems that I was incorrect.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 4:34 am

ProvokesThinking wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
Just a bad person.

That's very NT-like. NT people also like to just judge: he's bad, he's wrong, without looking further what are the causes and what could prevent it. It's a form of security.

killing 20 elementary school children is bad, and makes him a bad person regardless of the disorders he may have suffered.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 9:01 am

matt wrote:
Wow. It seems that I was incorrect.
Actually, that was my reaction too. I was looking for information on exactly how much of an increased risk there was, because I was sure that it wasn't huge--that most people who were molested didn't become sex offenders--but I didn't realize until I actually looked into it that it was more urban legend than researched fact. I suppose there could be some increased risk, but with that data, it seems like it really isn't very high to begin with.

I think most people probably encounter stressful events of some kind--things that, if handled the wrong way, could lead them into becoming abusers. But most people choose not to be.

Humans are like weather... too complex to predict, with many factors interacting unpredictably, butterflies flapping their wings in China. Only the overall trends can be plotted. Individuals are still unknown factors.

Autism Memorial:

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 9:58 am

whirlingmind wrote:
Theuniverseman wrote:
All Adam Lanza did was kill twenty children and six adult staff members at an elementary school, but he's "evil" :evil:

What a way to trivialise human life. I thought life was held so cheap to the individual mainly in 3rd world countries. You cannot compare this to corporate or government behaviour, that's a whole other story. I have some sympathy for his treatment in life, however, some people are taking this way too far and trying make excuses or even make it OK what he did. He committed mass murder, that's horrendous. Think of all those 26 lives snuffed out and what individual contributions they may have made to society, he had no right to decide whether they lived or died. One of them could have been a future president who made wonderful changes for the better. Don't forget one of the little boys he murdered was autistic too.

I didn't see anyone here make an argument that what he did was OK. :roll: That's an irrational distortion and smear on your part.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 10:16 am

thomas81 wrote:
I wouldnt overlook the possibility that he may have been having a really bad meltdown when it happened.

Meltdown is a bit of a stretch for an incident like this. I could see that if he just suddenly flipped out or something. This didn't go down like that. It was definitely planned and pre-meditated.

Retteman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Feb 2013, 10:19 am

Adam Lanza was never officially diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, his mother and brother merely speculated that he had Asperger syndrome.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 11:27 am

marshall wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
Theuniverseman wrote:
All Adam Lanza did was kill twenty children and six adult staff members at an elementary school, but he's "evil" :evil:

What a way to trivialise human life. I thought life was held so cheap to the individual mainly in 3rd world countries. You cannot compare this to corporate or government behaviour, that's a whole other story. I have some sympathy for his treatment in life, however, some people are taking this way too far and trying make excuses or even make it OK what he did. He committed mass murder, that's horrendous. Think of all those 26 lives snuffed out and what individual contributions they may have made to society, he had no right to decide whether they lived or died. One of them could have been a future president who made wonderful changes for the better. Don't forget one of the little boys he murdered was autistic too.

I didn't see anyone here make an argument that what he did was OK. :roll: That's an irrational distortion and smear on your part.

Clearly you didn't understand the trivialisation by the use of the boldened parts above! :roll: :roll:

Let me spell it out for you. By using the word all in this sentence, this is stating that the killing of these innocent people was not a significant thing. By using the word evil in inverted commas, this is explicitly criticising the fact that some posters have described him as evil for his murderous act - in effect disagreeing. I hope that clarifies the facts for you.

How on earth you state that anything I have commented is either irrational or a smear is utterly beyond me! 8O

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 11:34 am

marshall wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
Theuniverseman wrote:

You appear to be feeling negative...I hope the effect of Detroit & Co. isn't reaching you:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/ ... 0R20130222

(just joking :lol: )

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 12:51 pm

Shebakoby wrote:
ProvokesThinking wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
Just a bad person.

That's very NT-like. NT people also like to just judge: he's bad, he's wrong, without looking further what are the causes and what could prevent it. It's a form of security.

killing 20 elementary school children is bad, and makes him a bad person regardless of the disorders he may have suffered.

Yes however something lead to him becoming this 'bad' person unless you are arguing he was just born that way and would have committed the mass shooting regardless of anything. It is very easy to just say 'oh he was just a bad person.' and be done with it then it remains a mystery what drives people to do these things.

Also, lots of things are bad, by this logic if someone does anything 'bad' they are a 'bad' person, and if someone does anything good they are a 'good' person....so does whether a person is good or bad switch depending on if they are doing a bad or good thing........this is why I can only see good, bad, evil, pure ect as subjective things.

That said. evil lives under the skin, that applies to everyone......so everyone has the potential to become a 'bad' person even the non-defective ones.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 1:16 pm

People can change. Even someone like Adam Lanza could change. I agree that judging people as bad or good does not make much sense because a person is not a static entity; but judging their deeds as bad or good is definitely possible. It's necessary to have concepts of good and evil for you to judge your own actions properly.

We can't judge people as all good or all bad, but it doesn't follow that the ideas of "good" and "evil" must therefore be subjective. A specific choice in a specific context can be good, evil, or morally neutral, and has to be the same every time that specific situation comes up. (That it's mathematically impossible for the exact same situation to occur twice is true, but not particularly relevant. The important thing is that there is only one "right answer" for that specific situation.) Subjective good and evil do not make sense because if you could make two different judgments about the exact same situation, good and evil would not have any meaning. Either they are objective, defined by logical rules of ethics, or they do not exist at all.

What some people mean by "subjective" is actually not subjectivity at all but situation-dependence. For example, it might be good to give a child a peanut-butter sandwich if you know the child is hungry, but evil if you know the child is allergic to peanuts. If the child were allergic and you didn't know, the harm done would be an accident--your own mental state is part of the situation in question. This sort of situation-dependence is not subjective morality, but an acknowledgment that every decision is unique.

What I don't like is the idea that people who decide to hurt others somehow can't help it. A human being is the sum of all the information in his brain; when that brain makes a decision, the human being is making a decision. It's the human being who is the cause of his own behavior. The brain controls the body, and controls itself through innumerable feedback loops. To the extent that it is meaningful to say that we make decisions, it is also meaningful to say that we make good or evil decisions.

Autism Memorial:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 1:44 pm

Callista wrote:
What I don't like is the idea that people who decide to hurt others somehow can't help it. A human being is the sum of all the information in his brain; when that brain makes a decision, the human being is making a decision. It's the human being who is the cause of his own behavior. The brain controls the body, and controls itself through innumerable feedback loops. To the extent that it is meaningful to say that we make decisions, it is also meaningful to say that we make good or evil decisions.

Psychologically speaking that is not very accurate..genetic factors, envrionmental factors and social factors are all causes of human behavior...not all human behavior is a choice. Sure the decision to commit a mass murder is ultimately up to the individual, but there is no way of knowing if they could have stopped themselves if the rage they feel is too strong they might not have the ability to stop themselves. Things can get pretty distorted and twisted once you reach certain mental states, I've dealt with that from feeling suicidal, but I am sure being full of anger about how you were treated and all that might cause distorted/twisted thinking.

The brain controls the body, that doesn't mean thoughts always control the body, everything is not a decision. Anyways I'm just generally speaking for all I know this Adam Lanza character wanted to hurt people regardless of being wronged by them or not, or maybe he did feel wronged by them......maybe he was angry at people for things that they had nothing to do with that he perceived they did. But human behavior involves more than decisions.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 2:47 pm

It would be better to say that how you make decisions is affected by who you are, and who you are is affected by your environment and your genetics. But as I've said before, humans are complex systems. There is no way to predict with anywhere near certainty what any particular person will decide just by knowing his genes and environment. There are too many factors to track, and the tiniest disturbances could completely change the outcome, even as huge changes make very little difference. Human behavior is truly unpredictable, because the smallest such disturbances occur on the quantum level--so it's not just a matter of having enough information about the person or enough scientific knowledge, but an actual physical impossibility to predict a human being.

You can say, "If this happens, then that will be more likely," and without that science would be impossible. But the more complex the thing you are studying, the less sense it makes to say, "If this happens, then that will happen with such high probability that we can assume certainty." If you're watching billiard balls, you can simplify by saying, "If I have the information about how this system starts, then I can calculate how it will behave in the future." If you're studying humans, the complexity is too high for that simplification to make sense; all you're left with is various levels of "maybe".

Autism Memorial: