Not a sad post, but a "I'm struggling post.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2013, 12:59 am

Figured I'd reach out. I'm a few months into a yet another job, and as usual, all my encounters with new people I work with cause anxiety, and I analyze my interactions, and it brings out how different I can be, how shyness is interpreted, hoe I can awkwardly talk to some peoplel gel with other people. But as I gt comfortable, I lose control and can get eccentric. Social filters are forgotten. and I'm acting impulsively. I wish I could seriously try to maintain a persona that is relaxed and even aloof. when I gert comfortable, I my eccentric ways stand out.

It's a battle against what my therapist says which is be yourself. It is who you are, quirks and all. Need some hugs and some relatable stories if you will. Thanks.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2013, 11:13 am

I think it gets better with practice and the social skills can be learned (even if by rote as opposed to by intuition). I've also had some minor anxiety issues (though more generalised and not just related to meeting people) and while it may be easier said than done, try to relax when meeting people (there are relaxation skills you can find out, or your therapist can show you).

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2013, 12:29 pm

I need to stop stressing about it. Overthinking.

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2013, 8:10 pm

do you take anything for add? i have found add to be the thing that causes my Foot in Mouth Syndrome (FiMS), a comorbid condition of AS, I usually don't believe in stimulants but it works it for me because it gives me control of my AS FiMS have balance of being able to be spontaneous and letting it out at the right moment in the right context, perhaps meditation would help too. i do plan to start that when i am done with college

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2013, 10:05 pm

huh.....I'm just connecting it now as an impulse issue tied to add and or ocd. Eye opening lol. It's like I want to impulsively talk to people once I've gotten comfortable with them. That feeling of connection is addicting. So I want to talk, and when I talk I put my foot in my mouth. It's a compulsion. Interesting....

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2013, 12:26 am

knowbody15 wrote:
huh.....I'm just connecting it now as an impulse issue tied to add and or ocd. Eye opening lol. It's like I want to impulsively talk to people once I've gotten comfortable with them. That feeling of connection is addicting. So I want to talk, and when I talk I put my foot in my mouth. It's a compulsion. Interesting....

hold it knowbody 15 that is just a theory, be sure you defiantly have ad.d or o.c.d. do you see a psychiatrist? don't go off an ask your doctor to start giving you pills, you should be empirically diagnosed before you start getting pills. secondly it is a matter knowing what to say and when so it is a web of factors all interconnected. if you do have add or adhd. your going to have a hell of a time finding the right medication and once you have, it will take time to build in your system so you don't feel like crap and its managable to the point that side effects will go largely unnoticed

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2013, 1:06 am

Mitrovah wrote:
knowbody15 wrote:

hold it knowbody 15 that is just a theory, be sure you defiantly have ad.d or o.c.d. do you see a psychiatrist? don't go off an ask your doctor to start giving you pills, you should be empirically diagnosed before you start getting pills. secondly it is a matter knowing what to say and when so it is a web of factors all interconnected. if you do have add or adhd. your going to have a hell of a time finding the right medication and once you have, it will take time to build in your system so you don't feel like crap and its managable to the point that side effects will go largely unnoticed

No worries:) I've been in therapy for years,, medicated for mild ocd and adhd. I take welbutrin and celexa now. This is just me analyzing.