B'ham Muslim community didn't tell police of terror plot

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 7:57 pm

iBlockhead wrote:
I see that instead of answering my question of how the community knew, Tequi£a has started a new thread asking what if the terrorists were Jews, but instead using a Daily Mail source, which has this section in the middle of a larger article.

No, what I said was that it sounds like people in that community knew that they were going to terrorist training camps in Pakistan (i.e. they weren't just going 'home' to see relatives). What is being suggested is not necessarily that the Muslim community here knew that a terrorist attack was being planned, but that some knew that they were going to Pakistan to train as terrorists/shahids/martyrs and kept schtum. The point being that the police would have known what was going on a lot earlier if worried people had let the police know.

Would some of the people trying their best to ignore the lack of response from those in the know in the Islamic community in Birmingham have preferred it if people from the "white community" knew that racist elements from that community were up to something dodgy, but that wasn't directly related to a terrorist attack in the UK? Somehow, I think the response would have been extremely different.

I never used a Daily Mail source in the Douglas Murray article, and this thread doesn't use a Daily Mail source either. So I don't know what you're on about.

Last edited by Tequila on 25 Feb 2013, 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2013, 7:57 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
^^^

I don't know what you're talking about. He didn't come close to attacking you or anyone else on this thread.

Not on this thread, no.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 7:58 pm

iBlockhead wrote:
Not on this thread, no.

The persecution complex is setting in.

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2013, 8:09 pm

Tequi£a wrote:
No, what I said was that it sounds like people in that community knew that they were going to terrorist training camps in Pakistan (i.e. they weren't just going 'home' to see relatives). What is being suggested is not necessarily that the Muslim community here knew that a terrorist attack was being planned, but that some knew that they were going to Pakistan to train as terrorists/shahids/martyrs and kept schtum. The point being that the police would have known what was going on a lot earlier if worried people had let the police know.

It wasn't "sounds like" and "suggested" in that final part of your OP. It wasn't "sounds like" or "suggested" in that new thread either.

Tequi£a wrote:
Would some of the people trying their best to ignore the lack of response from those in the know in the Islamic community in Birmingham have preferred it if people from the "white community" knew that racist elements from that community were up to something dodgy, but that wasn't directly related to a terrorist attack in the UK? Somehow, I think the response would have been extremely different.

So it wasn't "sounds like" there was a lack of response, there actually WAS a lack of response, OK. But I'm arguing people didn't except for the families, who immediately got the men back without them getting any terrorist training. If your mom makes a phone call and you immediately drop what you are doing and leave the camp, I'm willing to bet this was just stupidity.

Tequi£a wrote:
iBlockhead wrote:
Not on this thread, no.

The persecution complex is setting in.

I have a persecution complex...by laughing at you calling me names?

Last edited by iBlockhead on 25 Feb 2013, 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 8:14 pm

iBlockhead wrote:
It wasn't "sounds like" and "suggested" in that final part of your OP.

No - there were people who knew about what was going on, according to several different news sources.

As it said - apparently (according to the OP article), some knew about it, but didn't tell the police.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 8:14 pm

Tequila wrote:
iBlockhead wrote:
Would some of the people trying their best to ignore the lack of response from those in the know in the Islamic community in Birmingham have preferred it if people from the "white community" knew that racist elements from that community were up to something dodgy, but that wasn't directly related to a terrorist attack in the UK? Somehow, I think the response would have been extremely different..

If white people knew about some suspicious racist on goings and for whatever reason didn't want to inform on their white neighbours? Yeah, I suspect it would be .

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 8:16 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
If white people knew about some suspicious racist on goings and for whatever reason didn't want to inform on their white neighbours? Yeah, I suspect it would be .

But, er, that's different. White people are held to different standards than brown people, especially if they are Muslims.

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2013, 8:19 pm

Tequi£a wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:

But, er, that's different. White people are held to different standards than brown people, especially if they are Muslims.

Middle-Easterners are white, not brown. There is no "brown" racial demographic in determining censuses in America. Being pedantic there. This means you're not a racist, by the way.

I'm not holding people to different standards. My argument is there is a misstatement and that only the extended family knew, not the community at whole. Someone else brought up that the more radical people hide from the community, which seems more plausible to me. The real question is actually if you think someone's family should turn them in. Numerous families don't (don't really know why myself), but that's based on familial ties, not being Muslim or really based on religious ties (I think anyway).

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 8:53 pm

iBlockhead wrote:
Middle-Easterners are white, not brown.

Do you know the demographic of our Muslims?

They're mainly from Pakistan and Bangladesh (with a minority being from Turkey). Few of them are from the Middle East. Last time I checked, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis were brown.

Like I say, the Indian Hindus and Sikhs cause us hardly any problems at all (though I won't deny that, in the past especially, there have been some nasty racist attacks - and the odd murder - on them as well as on Pakistanis and Bangladeshis). The real problem I have is when spineless 'anti-racists' try to pretend that the violence is all one way, when it absolutely isn't.