Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

scarp
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Feb 2013, 3:49 pm

rebbieh wrote:
scarp wrote:
Interesting that both of you have exceptionally detailed memories, yet poor visualization skills. I wonder if one comes at the cost of the other. Too small of a sample size to say anything conclusive, of course. Are there any other people here who have the same trade-offs in these specific skill sets?

Conversely -- how many people here who have normal or exceptional visualization skills have a more vague memory for specific details?

Speaking for myself, I would say that my memory for details is about average while my visualization skills are also about average or possibly above average.

I don't think I'd say my memories are exceptionally detailed. I've got a good memory but it might be average.

btbnnyr wrote:
People with NVLD might have problems imagining what you described, but other autistic people wouldn't. I don't think that NTs would either.

I read a paper in which researchers interviewed a few people diagnosed with autism or AS, and found that the people described mostly visual thoughts.

I don't know why but since most people here seem to have little or no problem with this task I now feel like there's something "wrong" with the way I think. Roosef and I can't be the only ones here thinking in words and having limited imagination, right? Do all/most people with ASD really think in pictures and easily imagine things? Also, I don't really understand what NVLD is. I understand it's similar to AS but is it on the spectrum?

I think mostly in words as well, but I didn't have any trouble with this exercise. Although I do also have what I call "wordless, shapeless thoughts" sometimes; I don't know if that has anything to do with thinking visually.

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure what visual thinking means. I think in very abstract "shapes" and "spaces" sometimes, and I tend to project my thoughts onto interesting geometric patterns that I see (for example, the "popcorn" ceiling finish in my apartment), but I certainly don't think in very specific or photographic images like Temple Grandin and others do.

If I had to estimate, I would say that 60% of my thoughts are verbal, 30% are "worldless and shapeless," and 10% are abstractly geometric.

velocity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2013, 3:50 pm

In her book 'Thinking in Pictures', Temple Grandin describes being able to simulate her designs in full 3D in her mind, checking for any problems with functioning of machinery and practicing operating the equipment.

I also can do this. All my life, among many other mental simulations, I've practiced my musical instruments in full 3D in my mind, particularly during regular school classes. It made no difference whether I did it for real, or imagined it. I also did this with my postgrad studies in photography.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 3:54 pm

I cannot imagine myself in the third chair. I was fine up until that point - then it was like my head hit a wall. Even after several minutes I still cannot picture myself in the scene and trying is making me anxious, so I'm going to stop.

scarp
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Feb 2013, 3:56 pm

velocity wrote:
I also can do this. All my life, among many other mental simulations, I've practiced my musical instruments in full 3D in my mind, particularly during regular school classes. It made no difference whether I did it for real, or imagined it. I also did this with my postgrad studies in photography.

Interesting that you say that! I watched a science video not too long ago which confirmed that "mental practice" can be just as good as physical practice in the short term (~3 days) and almost as good for periods longer than that. That's pretty incredible.

velocity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2013, 4:09 pm

scarp wrote:
Interesting that you say that! I watched a science video not too long ago which confirmed that "mental practice" can be just as good as physical practice in the short term (~3 days) and almost as good for periods longer than that. That's pretty incredible.

I was so obsessed with my music, that not having an instrument at hand wasn't enough to stop me. And yes, I can confirm that it was just as effective as the real thing, though the real thing was still necessary for muscle development. I have a similar relationship with audio as I do with 3D mental video.

I've always said that the only reason I need a musical instrument or a camera is to share my music and photos with other people.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Feb 2013, 5:18 pm

scarp wrote:
Interesting that both of you have exceptionally detailed memories, yet poor visualization skills. I wonder if one comes at the cost of the other. Too small of a sample size to say anything conclusive, of course. Are there any other people here who have the same trade-offs in these specific skill sets?

Conversely -- how many people here who have normal or exceptional visualization skills have a more vague memory for specific details?

Speaking for myself, I would say that my memory for details is about average while my visualization skills are also about average or possibly above average.

I have a fairly good memory for details. Not as good as it used to be, but it still seems to be better than many of the people I live with.

Temple Grandin has both exceptional visualization abilities and eidetic memory.

Last edited by Verdandi on 23 Feb 2013, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JennBead
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Feb 2013, 5:20 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
I can't ride a bike, I find night-time driving difficult, and I have proprioception problems (judging the proximity of my body to the environment around me) as well as vestibular problems (not to mention executive function problems!) but I can do the task.

My handwriting is extremely poor. To this date, even the thought of having to pick up a pen and fill out a form gives me stress ( I spent years in school not being able to process what the teachers said, making effort trying to copy from the board, and having to face the illegible notes I took and the crmps in my hand). I also used to be a lot clumsier during my younger years -- walking into trees, falling into puddles,etc.
Thanks for the info. But can someone with NVLD possibly have a college degree in Math though?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 5:32 pm

velocity wrote:
In her book 'Thinking in Pictures', Temple Grandin describes being able to simulate her designs in full 3D in her mind, checking for any problems with functioning of machinery and practicing operating the equipment.

I can think in 2D better than 3D. I can visualize a political map of the modern mediterranean. Then I can impose a map of the ancient Roman Empire on top of it in my mind. Then I can tick off which modern nations in Europe, north Africa, and Asia were once in the ancient Roman Empire (and which were partially in and partially out) from seeing the resulting image. But designing machinery in my head is probably a stretch.

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 8:39 pm

The exercise is incredibly easy for me, in both first and third person (though it is easier in third), but I have a nearly constant stream of imagination (i.e. I am more of a resident of "my own little world" than of the "real" one).

If you wish to test your imagination in general, there appears to be a Two-Factor Imagination Scale that tests for what is called "spontaneous imagination" and "controlled imagination". Link According to the results page, the average Aspie Male scores a 39.6, and the average female scores a 40.8 (although not many people have taken the test up to this point). Below 45 is "low spontaneous imagination"; above 60 is "high spontaneous imagination" (I scored a 66.)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Feb 2013, 8:52 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I can think in 2D better than 3D. I can visualize a political map of the modern mediterranean. Then I can impose a map of the ancient Roman Empire on top of it in my mind. Then I can tick off which modern nations in Europe, north Africa, and Asia were once in the ancient Roman Empire (and which were partially in and partially out) from seeing the resulting image. But designing machinery in my head is probably a stretch.

Interesting. I can't easily overlay maps but I can visualize in 3d. While I can't design machines as such, I have been able to design things without few or no moving parts and work from my visualization.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 8:54 pm

WerewolfPoet wrote:
The exercise is incredibly easy for me, in both first and third person (though it is easier in third), but I have a nearly constant stream of imagination (i.e. I am more of a resident of "my own little world" than of the "real" one).

If you wish to test your imagination in general, there appears to be a Two-Factor Imagination Scale that tests for what is called "spontaneous imagination" and "controlled imagination". Link According to the results page, the average Aspie Male scores a 39.6, and the average female scores a 40.8 (although not many people have taken the test up to this point). Below 45 is "low spontaneous imagination"; above 60 is "high spontaneous imagination" (I scored a 66.)

I scored 26.0.

This is one reason I do not think visual thinking necessarily reflects capacity for imagination.

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 9:08 pm

I got 38.0. I don't really see how one is unable to control their own imagination. I suppose it's natural I got a low score.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 9:29 pm

i can imagine the room, the chairs and the two people (faceless) but not myself. :/

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 11:24 pm

I scored 34.0.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 11:57 pm

I did all four and I was diagnosed with AS by my psychiatrist. I have always had a very active imagination.

scarp
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Feb 2013, 12:21 am

WerewolfPoet wrote:

Very interesting. I think this warrants its own thread, if one doesn't already exist for it.