Whilst we're demonising the only true Mid East democracy...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 10:17 am

...where the religious rights of Jews, Christians, Muslims (Muslims in Israel are treated like other Israeli citizens in law, and they benefit from the freedoms that pertain to every other Israeli - you know, things that we take for granted like not being murdered for being gay or wanting to marry someone from a different sect), Ba'hais, Druze etc. are protected - astonishingly, there are other things going on in the world. Like these three stories - one from Bangladesh and one from that great nation, the Land of Pure:

Here is yet another chance to see violent, fanatical barbarians throwing a temper tantrum:

Quote:
Thousands riot in Bangladesh over writings of ‘atheist bloggers’

DHAKA — Bangladesh police fired tear gas and rubber bullets Friday in fierce clashes with conservatists demanding the execution of bloggers they accused of blasphemy, killing one person and injuring around 100.

Parts of central Dhaka turned into a battlefield as protesters attacked police with bricks and sticks in front of the national mosque.

The security forces responded with hundreds of rounds of rubber bullets and tear gas shells, according to witnesses.

I genuinely feel for anyone living in this religious slum (or any other religious slum) with a smidgeon of sanity who is a secret atheist. It must not be a fun place to be at all, either geographically or in a more metaphorical sense. They never chose to be born in that space, that time, just as I never chose it. They never chose to be born Muslim either, just as I was fortunate enough to be born Christian in a nominally Christian, Western country.

And the first one from Pakistan, this time on the subject of 'blasphemy'. A Pakistani businessman accuses a U.S. ambassador of blasphemy because the ambassador in question called for the repealing of blasphemy laws:

Quote:
Pakistani Man Accuses Ambassador to US of Blasphemy

Pakistani police registered an accusation from a businessman on Thursday that the country's ambassador to the United States had committed blasphemy, a crime that carries the death penalty, in connection with a 2010 TV talk show.

The accusation against Ambassador Sherry Rehman is the latest in a string of controversial blasphemy cases in Pakistan, a largely Muslim nation whose name translates as "Land of the Pure."

According to Pakistan's blasphemy laws, anyone found to have uttered words derogatory to the Prophet Muhammad can be put to death. Those who are accused are sometimes lynched by mobs even before they reach court.

Such is their fanaticism, they sometimes cannot even wait for the trial to even begin before they want to indulge in killing. And we want to import people from societies like this?

There's a little bit more to come on this subject, but I think I'll save it for its own thread. :)

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 10:40 am

Oops, I was wrong when I commented the previous thread...

Meanwhile, in the land of the piramids, youtube was forbiden and NGO's (that includes human rights groups) can't have contact with international organizations without permission from government subordinates. To anyone who had hope in the muslim brotherhood, here are their policies.

Unfortunately this Egypt situation will end up in a war with Israel.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 10:53 am

ModusPonens wrote:
Oops, I was wrong when I commented the previous thread...

Meanwhile, in the land of the piramids, youtube was forbiden and NGO's (that includes human rights groups) can't have contact with international organizations without permission from government subordinates. To anyone who had hope in the muslim brotherhood, here are their policies.

Unfortunately this Egypt situation will end up in a war with Israel.

Which the Egyptians, once again, will lose.

ruveyn

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 10:56 am

ruveyn wrote:
Which the Egyptians, once again, will lose.

Hopefully very badly.