Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Yumeji
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2013, 2:28 pm

What is a healthy course load for someone with Aspergers?

If someone with Aspergers is enrolled in too many courses, what are the possible outcomes? Also, how can the risks of course overload be mitigated?

DrHouseHasAspergers
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2013, 2:56 pm

I'm taking four classes (13 credit hours). I'm in Philosophy 101, Anthropology 103, Math 115, and Political Science 111. I also work 18 hours a week. I am doing quite well. My grades are good and I really like my Anthropology class. It helps that my professor is very understanding about AS. Unfortunately, my Philosophy professor was a jerk about accommodations until I went through disability services so he had to agree to the accommodations. My first semester I took only 3 classes (11 credit hours) in addition to working 22-25 hours a week and I had a 3.9 GPA.

Sometimes when I get stressed, I do quite a lot of stimming. I can usually control it until I can go somewhere private so my classmates don't think I'm nuts. I have one class that is four hours long. Thankfully, the professor usually gives us a 10 minute break halfway through and I will go to a secluded corner of the campus and stim for a while. Then I feel better and I can go back to class without any problems.

It depends on the person, but I think most people with AS can do well taking classes full time if they are provided with the necessary accommodations.

Yumeji
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2013, 3:15 pm

DrHouseHasAspergers wrote:
I'm taking four classes (13 credit hours). I'm in Philosophy 101, Anthropology 103, Math 115, and Political Science 111. I also work 18 hours a week. I am doing quite well. My grades are good and I really like my Anthropology class. It helps that my professor is very understanding about AS. Unfortunately, my Philosophy professor was a jerk about accommodations until I went through disability services so he had to agree to the accommodations. My first semester I took only 3 classes (11 credit hours) in addition to working 22-25 hours a week and I had a 3.9 GPA.

Sometimes when I get stressed, I do quite a lot of stimming. I can usually control it until I can go somewhere private so my classmates don't think I'm nuts. I have one class that is four hours long. Thankfully, the professor usually gives us a 10 minute break halfway through and I will go to a secluded corner of the campus and stim for a while. Then I feel better and I can go back to class without any problems.

It depends on the person, but I think most people with AS can do well taking classes full time if they are provided with the necessary accommodations.

Right now I'm enrolled in a 9-course per semester program. Each assignment is worth 25-35% of our grade and is due in a week's time. In addition to completing group projects outside of class hours, we need to attend weekly networking events, find client work, and obtain our own internships.

I feel like crap for not being able to keep up with all of this--since normal NTs can and I guess Aspies as well. I've already experienced two breakdowns (slashed arms) and keep forcing myself to continue because I keep getting compared to people who can do the work. I don't know how far things will go until people realize I just can't cut this.

DrHouseHasAspergers
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2013, 3:52 pm

Do they know about your AS? Perhaps they could assist you with the group projects, networking events and finding client work. At the very least maybe you could talk to a counselor so you can vent your frustrations without hurting yourself.
What sort of program is it/what are you going into?
If you want to send me a private message for venting or just to talk, feel free to do so.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 3:58 pm

I know all about course overload ;). It depends almost entirely on what courses you're taking. Taking 12 hours of engineering design courses is NOT equivalent to taking 12 hours of art history lol. I've had semesters where I took ~20 hours and basically got all A's without raising a finger, and I've had others where I only took 8 or 9 hours and just about killed myself to get all my work/studying done, including plenty of 16-hour+ days. I know I had a one-hour course that required pretty much the same amount of work as 2-3 of my 3-hour courses combined, if you wanted to get a decent grade in it. And my two-hour course I'm in now....oh don't even get me started on that one lol! (170 page report speaks for itself)

The best way to find out is through experience. Only you know what you're capable of and how much is too much. So if you go in with 9 hours and find out that it's too stressful, then next quarter maybe drop it down to 7 or 8. Or keep it at 9+ and just add some easy filler classes instead.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 5:17 pm

I think it depends on the person and the class.