HFA versus Aspergers versus PDD-NOS

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MiahClone
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2013, 12:27 am

For anyone that has children diagnosed with different categories of "high functioning" ASD how were the children different/the same at the preschool age?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 1:13 am

MiahClone wrote:
For anyone that has children diagnosed with different categories of "high functioning" ASD how were the children different/the same at the preschool age?

different to what?

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 1:22 am

Delayed social skills and communication. Transitions difficulties. Auditory sensitivities: My son was the only kid who dropped to the ground, in the middle of a cross-walk, screaming, when a big truck pulled up to the red light. Apparently the sound startled him.

MiahClone
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2013, 1:58 am

cyberdad wrote:
MiahClone wrote:

different to what?

How was your child diagnosed with HFA (or PDD-NOS) different from your child diagnosed with Aspergers when they were in the 3-5 age range. Or were there no significant differences that you noticed at all?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 5:32 am

MiahClone wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
MiahClone wrote:

different to what?

How was your child diagnosed with HFA (or PDD-NOS) different from your child diagnosed with Aspergers when they were in the 3-5 age range. Or were there no significant differences that you noticed at all?

I took my HFA daughter to a play group where there were 6 boys who all had Aspergers. While all the boys displayed much better expressive speech than my daughter ( a couple would have easily passed for NTs) they were however less physically endowed. My daughter peformed much better at sporting games and climbing games than they did. As it turns out she also blitzed them at puzzles and memory games.
final score
HFA girl: 2
Aspie boys: 1