Do you tend to correct people with correct facts and stuff?

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Do you tend to always correct people with correct facts, grammer, etc.?
Yes 44%  44%  [ 112 ]
Yes 45%  45%  [ 116 ]
No 5%  5%  [ 14 ]
No 5%  5%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 256

rollermonkey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2015, 11:42 pm

I try to not do it every time, but heaven forbid a teacher make a math error on the board. Can NOT hold back then.

Moonshine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2015, 9:35 pm

My expectations of spelling used to be high, because I was always told, I am beyond average with my grammar and such, and I remember being told by Naval staff in a recruit office as much. I'm exceptionally literate they said but your maths, I only got two wrong in the first exam and more in the second needed work.
I know my brain doesn't calculate very well, but it also impacts on my neurological receptors so I'm not sure where my I/Q sits. As I'm aging, so is the rest of the population and technology is shadowing everything else.
I used to proportion myself better and a dam site easier than this, and I ruefully regret not being able to expand my options in the military, as a lot of them in my family were in the navy or on flight command patrol, Airforce.
I never considered myself a studious person before, but my health concerns due to genetic or biological matter, has forced me to.
You can wear a uniform, but do you remain an outer shell?

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 10:16 pm

Yes - If it is a professional setting where correctness makes a material difference.

No - Any other time. I notice the boo-boo, and sometimes have to bite my tongue harshly, but if it is a casual conversation I figure the main objective is that everyone enjoy the experience, and few people enjoy being corrected. I know I resent being corrected during casual chit-chat, and I tend to carry those resentments for a long, long time. :evil:

Moonshine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2015, 8:31 am

I think its the case, especially on a site like this, when you're exposed to rude beliefs from universal concepts that usher no meaning, unless its just straight talk, if a problem without concept exists, some (male)users find it amusing to resort to ridicule, as they don't understand their own standards of objectable knowledge, so when you step into a discussion, there should be some rules to make the point clear when blind excuses are not wanted for rapid sensory processes disguised by a useless outside shell. They must know they are creating friction. Females are also a bit quick to jump into an argument to make a frozen point too. I don't rule out the liars.
No win win situation.

"Women are made to be loved, not understood."

amymarie.
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Sep 2015, 11:29 am

i always do. people get so upset with me when i do it, especially my boyfriend. i keep telling him i dont mean to be like that its just an automatic. ive also ruined so many jokes by doing that. someone will make a joke to me and if the info is wrong ill correct them and they will be like, it was just a joke.. im a lot of fun at parties.. :?

speckledtail
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Dec 2015, 2:29 pm

I only correct facts, as I know how hard grammar is to understand. I also don't find fixing grammar very helpful and more annoying than anything else. Correcting facts seems more useful to me, because a person can learn more from it. Just my opinion, though.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2015, 2:33 pm

if someone asks me how to spell something and the word is right there in front of them or easy to deduce via pronouncing, i want to smack them.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2015, 2:52 pm

As grammar is my special interest, I used to have a huge problem with correcting the grammar of teachers. Luckily I'm able to withhold that now, although it's very hard to concentrate on anything else when the teacher makes one on the board. It seems most Aspies have better-than-average grammatical skills, although I'm still able to spot many errors in people's posts on here, even the most minuscule of mistakes. Luckily, I have two editing jobs, so I can happily bask in my obsession and receive monetary gain while doing it! It's a dream come true.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 6:04 pm

Yes, I feel compelled to for some reason.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 6:18 pm

You mean like this?

There Are Four Lights!

birdgirl24
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jun 2016, 7:21 pm

I think this is definitely very common among Aspies. As I've gained more social experience, I have corrected people less and less. I used to be so annoying, correcting every little thing. I still correct people sometimes, but I try to be more wise about it. I have a better idea when not to do it, such as when someone is in authority over me and there is an audience around. Even to situations like this though, I still think there are some exceptions that just have to be learned over time. It takes us Aspies longer to learn these nuances, which explains a whole lot in my life. Haha.

I still feel like I share facts and information entirely too much. Unfortunately, it just seems to be how I relate to people: by sharing some fact I think would interest them or that would start a conversation. This isn't necessarily the same thing as correcting though. It just makes NTs see me as boring, I guess.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 12:47 am

Nope. Used to do it, then I realized it's typically counter-productive and I stopped. I save it for when it's appropriate.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 6:37 am

Only if it is a fact about something i have special knowledge in, and it matters for the discussion (i've learned to let go a bit).

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 7:09 am

I'm working on this one.
I used to want to know all
I didn't know how to choose an option.

A side is letting a person tell a story of an event from what they remember.
Life and death stuff is OK to break in for me.

About the survey.

Are they
YES all the time
yes most of the time
NO never
No I'm working on it and I slip

MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jul 2016, 11:22 pm

Hello. I am trying not to, but I do a lot. The psychologist who tested me said that I do this too much also. I'm working on it.

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 1:55 pm

I USED TO! I was so thirsty for knowledge / LIKED to be corrected, MYSELF, so I learned; so, I thought everyone was thirsty for knowledge----and couldn't understand why someone WOULDN'T be.

Now, I rarely do it, cuz people really hate it.