Getting really tired of the Humanities Vs. STEM stuff..

Page 6 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 9:26 pm

ianorlin wrote:
And what is even more the textbook I have introducing derivitive pricing basicaly in its hundred pages of glory admits it is a zero sum game. And this is not some minor textbook it is by John C Hull can't remember full title off my head.

Oh yeah totally, I'm not saying it's a sure thing.. I'm just saying that the allure of all that money draws people to those fields when they would probably be just as good at something else that doesn't offer the possibility of all that money.

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 9:37 pm

Janissy wrote:
For people who merely want a white collar job, a PhD is overkill and can damage job chances.

I didn't think people actually wanted "white collar" jobs :?

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 9:45 pm

uwmonkdm wrote:
Janissy wrote:
For people who merely want a white collar job, a PhD is overkill and can damage job chances.

I didn't think people actually wanted "white collar" jobs :?

Could be a cultural thing.. but white collar is basically meaning they work in an office and get paid a salary and benifits for sitting in a cubicle.. for the average person that's probably exactly what they want.. This goes all the way from low level programmers and managers at local branch banks all the way up to CEO's and stuff.. I'd hazard a guess it also includes Teachers and administrative staff.. basically
It's probably the broadest job sector in terms of earning potential.
Blue Collar is basically stuff like Janitor, auto mechanic or factory worker and may or may not have benefits, and may be either hourly or salaried..

No Collar is stuff like the service industry, food service.. or manual labor..

there is also the idea of "Pink Collar" jobs which is generally stuff like Nursing, Secretaries and the like.. so called because they are either White or Blue collar jobs but women are overwhelmingly hired to fill the positions, or train to fill the positions..