he 'culture' of historically black colleges/universities - S

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 3:42 am

Welllll. I will probably transfer sometime this year or next year. I have a question: How....aspie-friend if the culture at HBCUs? I've heard rumors that there are some annoying douchebags at some institutes. And some are full of annoying restrictions. Because of that I'm not applying to Morehouse

I was thinking of either Howard of Hampton Universities to transfer to.

Note: am a black person. So no racial issues are a problem.

I remember some woman here 'nirrty rachele' went to a HBCU or something.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 9:58 am

I got my degree from an historically black university (I am white). For me it was like getting 2 educations for the price of one. Sitting in a class and you are the only white person in that class led to real soul searching. I did not experience any racism from any students (although I experienced some from older black people who worked in administration)

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 4:53 pm

ok. anythign else to tell me plz?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 1:26 pm

I have no idea, but the kids have a friend who is going to one on a scholarship and he's white. He doesn't seem to have any problems with it and loves school. He's about on the absolute opposite end of any possible spectrum from aspie though. Very athletic and outgoing, party boy, loud, somewhat obnoxious after even one drink and usually a bit obnoxious all the time. Although he doesn't have any problems with the school, his teachers may have some problems with him because he's a know it all. No racism involved at all, but adults usually do have problems with this kid because of his attitude. He's a sweet boy and I love him to death, but he's just hard on the nerves.

They have another friend who is a black girl that is going on one as well, and she is very quiet and shy. She's not aspie that I know of but she's very, very shy and she was terrified to give the validictory (sp?) speech at graduation but did a good job. She's loving school as well and she goes to the same school as the boy I was talking about, but she's a year behind him. She's not outgoing at all and doesn't have a problem with the school either, and she's always kept to herself a whole lot. She talked to maybe three girls her whole senior year. She also got a scholarship.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 1:04 pm

ok.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 1:11 pm

I know an author/professor at Howard University. We did some poetry readings together, and I was paid to do a separate poetry reading at his campus. There are wonderful professors there and if you are a committed and eager student you will find much to embrace and learn. Unfortunately I cannot give you any feedback on the student body as I have never been enrolled anywhere as a matriculated college student.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2013, 12:29 am

ok.

(i am really bumping for responses all, but thanks for the answers!)

hvtitan08
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2013, 4:52 pm

Virginia State University is a pretty cool school. It's in Ettrick, Virginia, just across the Appomattox River from Petersburg, VA. I plan to go there to major in History. I've heard that VSU is a pretty cool school.
Nearby attractions include:
1. Violet Bank Museum - General R.E. Lee's HQs for the 1st 6 months of the Siege of Petersburg
2. Petersburg Nat'l Battlefield - 4 fronts:
a. City Point - Appomattox Plantation and Grant's HQs in Hopewell
b. Eastern Front - Battery 5 and the Dictator (including Fort Stedman, and the Crater on the Driving Tour)
c. Western Front Driving Tour - (includes battlefields, Poplar Grove Nat'l Cemetery, and other Union and Confederate fortifications)
d. Five Forks - The last major stand of the supplylines before the all-out assault on April 2nd, 1865.
3. Blandford Church and Cemetery - where actor Joseph Cotten, Confederate African-American soldier Richard "Dick" Poplar, and British General William Phillips, are buried.
4. The Army Women's and Quartermaster's Museums at Fort Lee.

StillStanding
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2013, 12:20 am

Many moons ago, back in the mid-90's I spent the summer at Hampton University in a summer bridge program to take some courses to pass so that I could be officially admitted into the school. I mostly kept to myself, although I had one "friend" there who I tagged behind. I had fun in the classroom though and being observer to the dorm happenings/drama was entertaining. I was admitted afterwards but didn't return because I had no idea how to deal with financial aid, etc.

Nice school, not sure how it is now. A quite small campus and lots of history.

I'm just not sure how Aspie-friendly HBCU's are because so many AA's are unfamiliar/inexperienced with autism, in my experience. Wherever you are thinking about going, be sure to check with the disability office to see get a feel of how they would view autism and the services they could provide.