Is your pet racist?
Yes 40%  40%  [ 8 ]
No 60%  60%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 20

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 11:11 pm

Ive always heard that it was common for dogs in white nieghborhoods to bark at blacks more than at whites,and for dogs in black nieghborhoods to bark at whites more than at blacks.

The animals sense some difference in smell or look of a human of an unfamiliar race and instinctively view the person as an intruder and just proceded to do their job of protecting thier owners.

And they are not even trained to do that.

And on top of that you have places like south africa where dogs im sure are trained to target people by skin color to protect white property owners from crime.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 6:34 pm

Aren't dogs color blind? Literally? When you see a litter of mixed-breed puppies they're usually different colors but they don't seem to notice or care, they just play and eat and enjoy life together. Why can't we?

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 6:51 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Ive always heard that it was common for dogs in white nieghborhoods to bark at blacks more than at whites,and for dogs in black nieghborhoods to bark at whites more than at blacks.

The animals sense some difference in smell or look of a human of an unfamiliar race and instinctively view the person as an intruder and just proceded to do their job of protecting thier owners.

And they are not even trained to do that.

And on top of that you have places like south africa where dogs im sure are trained to target people by skin color to protect white property owners from crime.

I think they just pick up on the emotions of their owners.

I once worked with a white racist who was very proud that his dog hated black people. He would gleefully tell stories of his dogs reaction to black people and then say with passion, "I love that dog!"
He was also a huge fan of the apartheid government in South Africa and thought it would never end.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 7:07 pm

I have a homophobic goldfish.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 8:54 pm

Dogs can smell thousands of times better than we can and can smell differences in human DNA heritage. Hense folks of a different skin color can arouse suspicion in dogs as intruders if the dogs are used to the majority race of that neighbor (thus dogs in White neighborhoods bark at blacks, and dogs in Black neighborhoods bark at Whites).

And dogs can either be deliberately trained, or can spontaneously develop fear and aggression towards certain types of humans.
Some dogs hate humans in hats, some dogs get vicious against any human with big hair.

Within their own species they don't seem to be tribal based upon color, but perhaps they are 'racist' against each other based upon scent (who knows?).

Horses often do get skittish around other horses "of a different color" though.