Raven

02 Mar 2013, 9:46 am

http://metro.co.uk/2013/02/27/woman-cla ... t-3518677/

LOL! What next, a dog who hates aspies?

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 11:46 am

my fish hate people from nepal, I try to reason with them, but they won't listen

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 1:37 pm

No, he dislikes everyone equally.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 4:04 pm

A racist dog? That's ridiculous!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 1:11 am

If you read the article the 7yr old black child was bitten while she played with other children. The mother (we assume) noted the dog attacked her daughter but ignored the other children (who were white). That perhaps motivated the mother to allege the dog was 'racist' (she is probably not very educated so was not able to articulate that the dog was trained by it's owner to target blacks as this is South Africa after all where white neighborhoods often employ guard dogs perhaps trained to bark at black folks). A simple test would be to take the dog to a police station and present the dog with 4-5 white males wearing arm protection and one black male with arm protection and observe if the dog aims for the black man.

BTW was not impressed with the comments below the article that seemed to ridicule the event. No normal person would want to see a 7yr old attacked by a dog.

awesomeautist
Raven
Raven

03 Mar 2013, 12:55 pm

I hate the fact a child got injured but the idea of a racist dog is so wrong in a hilarious way.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 9:21 pm

I've actually seen dogs that don't usually bark or growl, bark or growl at black people but not white people. Of course those were dogs with white owners and may not have seen black people very often and bark at them because they are different and therefore scary or threatening in the dogs mind. It's not uncommon. In fact, Brian on Family Guy joked about it when he suddenly started barking at a black person on the show, then stopped and said "I'm sorry, thats my fathers fault, I don't know why I do that".

I don't think it's racism or that the dog has been taught to dislike blacks. It's probably just the fact that the person is different from what they usually see. My dogs bark at anybody in a uniform. Doesn't matter the color of the person or the type of uniform, it can be the Cooks man, the cable guy or a cop, they will try to jump through the closed window.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 9:45 pm

I have a Tom cat who seems to dislike everyone.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 9:53 pm

awesomeautist wrote:
I hate the fact a child got injured but the idea of a racist dog is so wrong in a hilarious way.

No that's my point. The dog isn't racist, it's been trained to attack a particular kind of person not wanted in the owner's neighbourhood. That's what the mother of the child was tring to say. Burglary and crime is a big problem in south africa and guard dogs may be deliberately trained to bark and/or attack black people who are the often involved in robberies.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 10:44 am

cyberdad wrote:
If you read the article the 7yr old black child was bitten while she played with other children. The mother (we assume) noted the dog attacked her daughter but ignored the other children (who were white). That perhaps motivated the mother to allege the dog was 'racist' (she is probably not very educated so was not able to articulate that the dog was trained by it's owner to target blacks as this is South Africa after all where white neighborhoods often employ guard dogs perhaps trained to bark at black folks). A simple test would be to take the dog to a police station and present the dog with 4-5 white males wearing arm protection and one black male with arm protection and observe if the dog aims for the black man.

BTW was not impressed with the comments below the article that seemed to ridicule the event. No normal person would want to see a 7yr old attacked by a dog.

They aren't trained to do anything but they do guard the property, which is also their territory. If a dog is owned by a white family and is not used to black people, they will see a black person as potential invader of their their territory. That's why they often bark at black people walking in the street, past the house. The dog isn't racist.

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Mar 2013, 10:53 am

My two dogs are both mixed :D.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 5:05 pm

I have two cats, one is a boy who loves and trusts everybody he meets, and one is a girl who is shy and avoids people she doesn't know well. Dogs are color-blind, both literally and figuratively, but unfortunately they also don't have the ability to tell or learn right from wrong (most dog owners think they can, but they can't), so a person can train them to do something terrible and the dog has no clue whatsoever about what they're doing as long as they please their owner. :(

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 6:21 pm

awesomeautist wrote:
The idea of a racist dog is so wrong in a hilarious way.

I agree. What's next...a homophobic cat?

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 8:01 pm

I have a friend who says his dog does not like straight or bisexual men - only women and gay men.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 8:29 pm

mikibacsi1124 wrote:
I have a friend who says his dog does not like straight or bisexual men - only women and gay men.

When I was growing up, we had gotten an adult American Eskimo who disliked most men, hated old men, and only really liked women. Once, out of the blue, she viciously bit my great uncle.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 10:28 pm

It is entirely possible... Racism is a learned behavior and can be taught... I have known dogs that hate people wearing hats... and I had a friend in my childhood, whose father's dog had a very real aversion to african americans... To the point of actually destroying the front door and attacking a man who was sitting in a rcking chair across the street.