a mixture of both styles 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
neither style 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
other (specify) 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 9:12 am

An interesting TED talk, by Chen Lizra, on "The Power of Seduction in our Everyday Lives."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBIL2sdfoVc[/youtube]

She makes some interesting points about differences between Cubans and North Americans. At about 5:30, she describes the meaning behind the Rumba dance, and then continues with the observation that, in their everyday lives Cubans interact with each other as if they are playing the game of Rumba, and keeping the game of seduction alive. She also points out that Cubans grow up without capitalistic advertising, and are raised to love their bodies, whereas many North Americans grow up hating their bodies.

A while ago, I watched the movie Woman on Top

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYlrxM1CUPw[/youtube]

where Penelope Cruz plays a Brazilian woman who leaves her husband and moves to the USA. The Latin Lover, portrayed in the film as her Brazilian husband, is presented as extremely romantic and passionate, willing to do what it takes to win his woman, and will interpret "No!" as "Just Try Harder!" The Anglophone North American lover is presented as just the opposite: extremely reserved, "No" means "Hell No!! !" and, even yes is taken as no. When she is practically raping him on a couch, he decides that she doesn't really want it, and leaves. The movie ends with Miss Cruz's character returning to Brazil with her husband. I'm not sure if the movie would be fully classified as a Chick Flick. The American men do come off as pasty, unappealing, passionless, and ridiculous. There is one scene in the movie (shown quickly at about 40 seconds into the trailer) where a mob of American men is walking through the city behind Miss Cruz's character, not saying anything, simply entranced by her beauty. Sure, we're pathetic, but we're not that pathetic. We would certainly look, possibly stare, but not follow her around en masse like a large number of ducklings keeping up with their mother.

A popular Spanish-language dating show is Doce Corazones

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Vvx3biEhE[/youtube]

The show is produced and televised in the USA, but is sometimes MUCH too hot and passionate for an Anglophone audience.

Which do you prefer? The Latin-American, or the Anglophone North-American style of seduction?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 11:40 am

Any type of seduction :lol:
But if you tell them no three or four times and then you have to grab a stick and hit them that's annoying,not seduction.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 11:44 am

In the future people will be conditioned not to refuse their lovers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 11:54 am

An aspie guy would be even more out of place in latin culture than in anglophone culture apparently.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 1:44 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
An aspie guy would be even more out of place in latin culture than in anglophone culture apparently.

I hadn't thought of that. Anglophone culture has been very heavily inflluenced by both Puritanism and Feminism. Possibly our culture's standoffishness would be more comfortable to a basic Aspie preference to be left alone.

On the other hand, we have been heavily influenced by Feminist attitudes such as

Gloria Steinem wrote:
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.

and

A Strident Feminist wrote:
Get yourself a fleshlight and leave women ALONE!

If an American woman were to dress sexy and go out, and she were to encounter a man who flirted with her Cuban style, then, unless she thought that he was the sort of fellow that she had been hoping to attract, she would scowl and call him a "Creep!" Latin Americans seem to enjoy gender differences, rather than aspiring for men and women to be the same. Being able to flirt, without being smacked down, seems like it would be fun. Some Aspies might prefer this.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 2:04 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Any type of seduction :lol:
But if you tell them no three or four times and then you have to grab a stick and hit them that's annoying,not seduction.

But what if they respond with "Oh yes, Mistress. Hit me again, Mistress!" ...?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 2:40 pm

^^^^^I probably would hit him again. :twisted: Only harder.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 3:31 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud2ZOJ9s00c&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 4:58 pm

^I don't perceive the relevance of the above song. But, here's one from Cuba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP8D-InacB8

KinetiK
Raven
Raven

03 Mar 2013, 6:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Definitely. I'm Hispanic (half Mexican half Salvadorian) and although, in my experience, Hispanic culture tends to be less judgemental and materialistic (which I like), there is also a lot of emphasis on being macho and socially capable in general. It's not uncommon for groups of friends to randomly go to someone's house without an invitation and start a party, whereas in Anglo culture it would be very rude not to call first. Latin people tend to be very boisterous when they talk and touch each other a lot, which is overwhelming for an aspie. As stressful as an American party can be for us, it's nothing compared to a Hispanic party. On more than one occasion I've had to rudely leave in the middle of conversation because it was just too stressful.

Oh, and you have to know how to dance, and dance often. No excuses.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 7:17 pm

Interesting TED video there.

Don't have much to say though. I have some experience with what she's said, but there is still much to figure out

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 7:35 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
^I don't perceive the relevance of the above song. But, here's one from Cuba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP8D-InacB8

It was in regards to my previous remark,not your topic.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 7:40 pm

i dont know if they count as Hispanic culture, but I find Filipino women easier to attract.

My deviant art profile

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 7:42 pm

KinetiK wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Definitely. I'm Hispanic (half Mexican half Salvadorian) and although, in my experience, Hispanic culture tends to be less judgemental and materialistic (which I like), there is also a lot of emphasis on being macho and socially capable in general. It's not uncommon for groups of friends to randomly go to someone's house without an invitation and start a party, whereas in Anglo culture it would be very rude not to call first. Latin people tend to be very boisterous when they talk and touch each other a lot, which is overwhelming for an aspie. As stressful as an American party can be for us, it's nothing compared to a Hispanic party. On more than one occasion I've had to rudely leave in the middle of conversation because it was just too stressful.

Oh, and you have to know how to dance, and dance often. No excuses.

Well, okay. I can see where that aspect of Hispanic culture would get tiresome.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 9:27 pm

thomas81 wrote:
i dont know if they count as Hispanic culture, but I find Filipino women easier to attract.

I'm guessing that Filipinas and other Asians might be more content with us, and that Latinas might find us too boring, given our lack of interest in dancing and partying.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 9:43 pm

Here is an interview with Chen Lizra

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJvxMywsNd0[/youtube]