Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Luska
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2013, 12:36 am

thewhitrbbit wrote:
There is nothing wrong with fighting back. We each have a natural right to defend ourselves, and society needs to stop teaching these kids to let it happen and then go run to the teacher.

Self Defense is NOT A WRONG!

I find it weird that teachers often give students who decide to fight back harsh punishments.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 9:55 am

Luska wrote:
thewhitrbbit wrote:
There is nothing wrong with fighting back. We each have a natural right to defend ourselves, and society needs to stop teaching these kids to let it happen and then go run to the teacher.

I find it weird that teachers often give students who decide to fight back harsh punishments.

ME TOO!

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 2:01 pm

Luska wrote:

Because where I live "zero tolerance" means if you hit someone, REGARDLESS OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES, you are equally as guilty. So, if someone is trying to murder you and you punch them in the face, you both get the same punishment. Doesn't matter if your life is in danger and yes, I was told this by a principal!

I loved Tony Attwood's book but this is where he drops the ball. He acts like school authorities WANT to stop bullying when in reality they (in general that is) want to encourage conformity as much as possible and if that means taking out the 'victim' they will. Been there done that and yes, it still goes on to this day.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 8:30 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
TornadoEvil wrote:
Two wrongs do not make a right. If someone is bullying you, bullying them back can just get you in trouble. It is a better idea to go to an authority, a teacher, principal, ect.

If its still a problem, complain louder.

And get beat up louder. We complained to the teacher, to the principal, to the guidance people, everyone. Nothing stopped the bullying.

I totally agree. Honest and sincere self-defense is not a wrong.

I think TornadoEvil commented on me because I said: "bully them back"

But just before that, I clearly said in no uncertain terms: "If diplomacy fails"

The idea that "If diplomacy fails, do more diplomacy", seems irrational to me.

If something clearly does not work, no matter how hard you keep trying, then it is time to move on to something else.