Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

spring
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2013, 10:22 am

What are some tips for students being bullied?

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2013, 11:06 am

Do not tolerate it! The victims of bullying are often told to ignore the bullies, and while this is usually the correct response during the situation, [b]always inform an adult afterwords. If they don't listen, then involve your parents, the police, anyone who is able to make it stop.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 11:31 am

Whatever you do, IGNORE THE EXPERTS! They only made my situation ten times worse by "ignoring", "reasoning with", "emphasize with" etc. Bullies are cowards and will use strength in number and you have to be swift and brutal in fighting back. Hate to say it but violence IS the answer with bullies as they will get numbers on their side and they WILL ruin your life if you sit back and tolerate it. Don't need to use weapons but if a bully hits you you have to hit them back twice as hard before they will leave you alone. Sad but true in my experiences.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 2:07 pm

I agree with the other posters. Ignoring them doesn't work, and neither does "empathizing" with them. Also, there isn't always an adult around to help. I speak from long, agonizing experience. The best thing to do is take up martial arts, so you can protect yourself or others, if you have to.

FooRob
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2013, 6:03 pm

Lots of advise speaks of not giving the bullies any attention (apparently that's what they want) respond to them with short 'what ever' type responses. That great to say but when you're on the receiving end 8 hrs a day 5 days a week it takes its toll Get tough in 1 on 1 situations when there are no peers around for the bully to feed off. Pull then aside and make sure you get you message across. Seeking the support of others at best will get you some empathy, at worst unwanted or needed attention or worst more bullying.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 5:37 pm

An important piece of advice. Make sure you aren't making yourself a target to get bullied.

Bullying is certainly wrong, and what may inspire one person to change my emotionally ruin another person, but overall, if the whole "every kid is special" self-esteem movement prevails, children will be free to carry any lazy or irresponsible habits into adulthood.

Kids often seek the approval of popular kids who have asked them many times to "go away". By trying to win their approval more, they annoy the other kids, and end up getting bullied. Some kids are mad that they don't get any attention, and would rather get negative attention than none at all, and that makes them a target. Kids who are socially awkward and can't relate to other people need to learn how to get better at people skills instead of being told that they're perfect the way they are. And in the end, addressing the problem at the root is more important than masking it with adult interference.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 7:47 pm

minervx wrote:
An important piece of advice. Make sure you aren't making yourself a target to get bullied.

Bullying is certainly wrong, and what may inspire one person to change my emotionally ruin another person, but overall, if the whole "every kid is special" self-esteem movement prevails, children will be free to carry any lazy or irresponsible habits into adulthood.

Kids often seek the approval of popular kids who have asked them many times to "go away". By trying to win their approval more, they annoy the other kids, and end up getting bullied. Some kids are mad that they don't get any attention, and would rather get negative attention than none at all, and that makes them a target. Kids who are socially awkward and can't relate to other people need to learn how to get better at people skills instead of being told that they're perfect the way they are. And in the end, addressing the problem at the root is more important than masking it with adult interference.

partially agree. too black and white

cammyyy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2013, 1:12 am

This may help a bit, the latter half more so than the first .
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltun92DfnPY[/youtube]

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 1:56 am

I threatened to stab one with a pencil, he must have known I was serious because they all left me alone after that :lol:

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 11:38 pm

If diplomacy fails, bully them back :D

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 10:14 am

My greatest regret from school was listening to the "experts" on bullying.

I should have got some training in martial arts and kicked the bullies ass.

My parents told me that if I got suspended for fighting, they wouldn't be mad at me and they would be in the principal's office every day until they explained why a kid standing up for himself is in trouble.

I didn't listen, I listened to the "experts" and the bullying didn't stop until I graduated HS and moved away.

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 9:54 am

Two wrongs do not make a right. If someone is bullying you, bullying them back can just get you in trouble. It is a better idea to go to an authority, a teacher, principal, ect.

If its still a problem, complain louder.

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Mar 2013, 12:37 pm

TornadoEvil wrote:

That's a good way of putting it. Go to whatever extreme lengths necessary to make it stop.

Meridian191
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Mar 2013, 9:38 pm

I was mildly bullied the other day, and said nothing. It was nothing more than a couple of stupid comments, but they annoyed me because they were attacks on the way I was dressing and acting, which was normal as far as I was concerned (then agian, why would I be on WP if I was accurately aware of how I behaved?). They stopped after a couple of days.

My father told me (considering my university has a non-violence policy and I'm not very tough) that the best thing is to tell them to 'Eff off' or 'shut up' angrily. Unfortunately, he said, there will always be a 20% ***hole rate among the people you encounter.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 12:21 pm

TornadoEvil wrote:
Two wrongs do not make a right. If someone is bullying you, bullying them back can just get you in trouble. It is a better idea to go to an authority, a teacher, principal, ect.

Well, it's noble to make such statements but in my experiences, EVERYONE I know who stopped bullying only did so through direct action. I was averse to violence so I naively thought the authorities would figure it out. I later found the the principal and teachers were not blind, they just didn't want to risk their jobs and take on kids with very powerful parents. The cops are useless and don't think it's their problem and of course the worst bully's father was a cop.

I really hate to say this, but I'm starting to think it's worth it at that age to get in trouble at least in Canada because otherwise you will spend years fighting the demons of being bullied nearly constantly for years. The bullies usually have excellent BS skills and will get you in trouble either way even if you are the honour roll student who never fought back. You don't need to escalate violence and you should NEVER initiate it but you have to fight back if you don't want 10-20 kids beating you up every chance you get.

My problem now is that because of my experiences, I have gone too far the other way. The slightest insult will set me off thanks to what I had to live through.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 4:17 pm

TornadoEvil wrote:

And get beat up louder. We complained to the teacher, to the principal, to the guidance people, everyone. Nothing stopped the bullying.

There is nothing wrong with fighting back. We each have a natural right to defend ourselves, and society needs to stop teaching these kids to let it happen and then go run to the teacher.

Self Defense is NOT A WRONG!