What will be if Stalin would be assassinated in WWII

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 3:14 am

ruveyn wrote:
globalwolf2010 wrote:
I feel like it really depends on when he was assassinated, who did the assassinating, and who took his place.

Get rid of Stalin before he purged the Red Army.

If the Red Army was completely up to par when Germany attacked the Nazis would have been in for an unpleasant surprise.

ruveyn

Had Stalin not purged his own officer corps, Hitler probably wouldn't have been so gung ho to invade the Soviet Union.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 11:03 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
globalwolf2010 wrote:
I feel like it really depends on when he was assassinated, who did the assassinating, and who took his place.

If the Red Army was completely up to par when Germany attacked the Nazis would have been in for an unpleasant surprise.

ruveyn

Had Stalin not purged his own officer corps, Hitler probably wouldn't have been so gung ho to invade the Soviet Union.

Hitler later on admired stalin for 'liquidating the beourgeoisie intelligentsia'.

My deviant art profile

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 1:14 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
globalwolf2010 wrote:

ruveyn

Hitler later on admired stalin for 'liquidating the beourgeoisie intelligentsia'.

I'm sure Hitler would have liked to have gotten rid of his own intellectual critics. As it turns out, many of them had immigrated to America to escape Hitler. What was Germany's loss was America's gain.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 2:46 pm

thomas81 wrote:
debateable. The way I see it, with Moscow firmly under German subjucation the nazis may have been in position themselves to offer intervention in the Pacific war (At one stage the Germans were holding out for Japanese assistance from the North East when the tide turned against their favour during the attack on Moscow). With the USA outnumbered, it may have forced them back to the west coast with their tails between their legs. If the Germans had managed to build their heavy water bomb before the Americans built their nuke, that would have been another game changer.

Of course it's debatable. We're indulging complete fantasy.

I don't see that anyone has made the case that Moscow (let alone the rest of the Soviet Union) could have possibly been firmly under German subjugation. This isn't Poland, where there was a strong anti-communist population looking West for protection from the Soviets. This wasn't Czechoslovakia or Austria where the local German-nationalist population could be recruited (and resupplied from effective infrastructure). Even if, improbably, the Germans had taken Moscow, that would not have brought them any closer to conquering the Soviet Union. And even if they had taken the Soviet Union, the infrastructure would have made German intervention in the Pacific impossible--there simply wasn't the railway capacity to get an army across Asia, and the Russians wouldn't have fought for the Germans. They would have been far more likely to fight against the Japanese in Manchuria, where Russia had historical claims.

The heavy water bomb would have been a game changer, to be sure. But with that, the Americans would have dropped Fat Man on Berlin, rather than Hiroshima. Nothing in German development would have stopped the Manhattan Project.