Page 2 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 12:11 pm

bottom line is at the VERY LEAST, Israel needs to withdraw settlers/human shields from Gaza and the West Bank.

The settlements are only growing and Israel of late, is showing absolutely no interest in compromising.

My deviant art profile

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 12:24 pm

thomas81 wrote:
bottom line is at the VERY LEAST, Israel needs to withdraw settlers/human shields from Gaza and the West Bank.

The settlements are only growing and Israel of late, is showing absolutely no interest in compromising.

Back to the Old Borders? Sure. And they will be attacked for certain. You expect the Jews to conveniently die so your beloved Palestinians can finish wrecking the area.

ruveyn

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 12:32 pm

the way I see it, Jews are dying BECAUSE they're in the Gaza and West Bank.

You think Hamas is going to stand idly by and accept it while what crummy little bit of land they have left is going to be ringfenced against them by Israelis?

My deviant art profile

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 12:42 pm

Segregation does not work.I'm on the fence here,I see both sides,or I try to.
But it makes me think of the old South and what happened here.
I know I would feel like a second class citizen if I had to ride a separate bus.
Are the Palestinians going to have to wear bright yellow crescents sewn on their clothes next?

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 12:44 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Are the Palestinians going to have to wear bright yellow crescents sewn on their clothes next?

they may as well, Gaza is already effectively a concentration camp. The only difference is the guards and watchtowers are on the outside.

My deviant art profile

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 1:45 pm

thomas81 wrote:
ScrewyWabbit wrote:
Bottom line, this sounds like a legitimate security measure.

Remember, if the Palestinians had demonstrated any sort of regard for human life, never mind the lives of their own people, it would be in Israel's interests to HAVE mixed buses, if for no other reason than the Palestinians wouldn't blow up the Israelis if it meant killing their own people too. But the Palestinian's don't have that mentality, so it is necessary to deny them the opportunity to blow themselves up on buses with Israelis aboard.

It doesnt take into account the broader context. If there are several thousand buses operating between Israel and the occupied territories every day, the incidences of bombings constitute a tiny amount of the overall proportion. Moreover it is ignoring the fact that the 2 communities are at conflict with each other, there has to be some onus on Israel on reconcillation. Segregated transport is counterintuitive to that purpose. If John Browning's racist comment is to serve as a microcosm of opinion within Israel it just goes to show that the transport authorities are simply kowtowing to prejudice of the Israeli populace.

During the Irish troubles, I lived close to a police station which was bombed with a similar sort of frequency to the list of bombings above. There was never any proposal of creating 'no-go areas' close to police stations for Irish nationalists which would have been analogous to this.

The purpose of random acts of terrorism is to make people afraid at all times, because they never know when an attack might happen, no matter how infrequent the attacks themselves might actually be. The Israelis taking steps to protect themselves from these random acts of violence and the fear that they instill is a direct and logical reaction to the tactic being employed by their enemies. The frequency of the attacks is irrelevant. Get the Palestinians to publicly declare that they won't attack the Israelis anywhere, any time, whenever the opportunity presents itself, and then have them put some substance into their words with sustained period of months or years where there are no such attacks, then you might have a point calling the current Israeli response heavy-handed. However, until that actually happens, I'd say what the Israelis are doing is very much appropriate under the circumstances.

Look at what we ourselves have done in the United States with regard to airline security. We inconvenience every passenger, sometimes for hours, because some extremists have in the past chosen to attack airliners and may conceivably do so at any time. Should we stop doing this because the attacks have been infrequent?

Yes, segregating two peoples is counter to improving relations between those people. And yet this is a situation where these people have been intermingled most of the time for the last several decades. You can find many Israelis who have Palestinian friends and vice-versa, but none of that has prevented the current situation or really done anything to improve peace prospects.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 1:56 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
And that is just the sort of thing that likely continues the motivation for extremism on the part of the palestinians.....I mean the way they push them around no wonder their pissed. I will say agian I still think both sides are wrong and should come to terms with that and learn to get along and share the damn land they both live on.

I don't see how people can treat Israel as some innocent nation just trying to survive against all the evil arabs....but perhaps its things like this that keep provoking the 'evil arabs'. I mean yes they proved their point they have a more elite everything and can kick the palestinians ass at will.....would they like a reward?

Its a simple problem - what one side views as a legitimate reaction to the other side's provocative acts, the other side views as a provocation of its own. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I guarantee you, both sides feel provoked. Yes, I'm sure if we go back far enough in time we might be able to figure out who did what first, but at this point they'll never even agree on that much and so its a useless, meaningless exercise. It no longer matters who started it, it only matters how to break the cycle of provocation / reaction.

And, honestly, I think this is a good step towards doing that. Frankly, whatever Israel can do to secure its own people without actually harming the Palestinians should serve over time to lower the violence and this lower the tensions. It would be great if they could all intermingle and become friends without any violence between them, but its obvious that that is not really possible. Separation to keep down tensions is a good thing, at least in the short term.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 2:52 pm

Cei wrote:
Dantac wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Israel unmasked, to reveal the racist nature underneath. Like the 1950s USA all over again. Guess they want to segregated public transport so they can start bombing with impunity without risking Israeli lives.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeas ... 34321.html

'with impunity' .

That choice of words tells me you approve of the killing of innocents in buses by suicide bombers.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but how does it tell you that, exactly?

He is saying that israel bombs palestinians. He says they segregate public transport. He says it is done so israel can bomb with impunity...meaning without fear of retaliation. That means he considers the bus suicide bombers acceptable because in context the means of retaliation that was the bus bombing has been denied through the segregated transport.

To think that the israeli air force would bomb a bus..with a jet (how else can israeli's 'bomb'? they dont suicide bomb for sure and an artillery strike isnt a bomb) in israeli territory is absurd.

The article states the passengers are segregated when they come to west bank checkpoints when they move from west bank into israel and then checked again on their way back from israel into the west bank.

It does reduce the chance of suicide bombers using a bus (though its rather silly since they can just walk around and detonate wherever they want..buses were just more convenient means of packing people in for a higher death toll).

The funny thing of the racism claim is that one side whines about it while at the same time permitting their television broadcasts to be filled with extremely racist and 'we must wipe them out' messages even in kids shows.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 3:46 pm

Dantac wrote:
The funny thing of the racism claim is that one side whines about it while at the same time permitting their television broadcasts to be filled with extremely racist and 'we must wipe them out' messages even in kids shows.

The Palestinians have spent decades engaging in a cynical propaganda war against Israel, accusing (usually falsely) Israel of doing the types of things that the Palestinians have done themselves - often done TO themselves - and have often done things far worse than what they claim Israel has done. But they're shocked - SHOCKED - every time Israel does something that they don't like.

For instance, Palestinians shoot rockets toward Israeli civilian population centers, with the hope of killing as many Israeli civilians as possible. This is, by the way, a war crime. Watch Palestinian media, Arab media, or Palestinian officials on television, and they'll have some sort of justification for this. These very same rockets are often manufactured, assembled, stored in and even fired from civilian areas (also a war crime), thus demonstrating a complete and utter disregard for the lives of their own civilians. But when Israel attempts to destroy the rockets before they're fired, and Palestinian civilians are killed, Palestinian media is full of complete and utter outrage as they cry their crocodile tears to the world. Not only have they done everything they could to kill Israeli civilians, they've done everything they could to devalue the lives of their own civilians, everything they could to get their own civilians killed, and they claim outrage against the Israelis, as if killing Israeli civilians is ok, but killing their own civilians, for whom they've shown reckless disregard, is outrageous.

Last edited by ScrewyWabbit on 06 Mar 2013, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 3:47 pm

Dantac wrote:

so because the media of a community broadcasts racist messages, the appropriate course of action is to repay the same racism to the population of that community?

:scratch:

My deviant art profile

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 3:54 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Dantac wrote:

so because the media of a community broadcasts racist messages, the appropriate course of action is to repay the same racism to the population of that community?

Depends what we mean by "broadcast". Is their media merely, for instance, broadcasting racist commentary from its employees? Or are they providing news coverage of their community engaging in racist activities, such as the signs you'd probably see at most Palestinian protests against the Israelis. Becase if the former, it might be innappopriate. But if its the latter, where the community in question is engaging in widespread racism, well, its not so clear cut then.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 4:55 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Dantac wrote:

An interesting mirror isn't it? The difference is, the 'racism' the israelis are allegedly engaging in is not aimed to kill other people but to stop it. Palestinian tv oth, extolls the glory of dying as a suicide bomber, wipe out israel, etc.

Look, no matter how you see it , it is a messed up situation. If palestinians would quit their campaign of violence and their hate propaganda they'd have a state of their own in a short time. But they dont, wont and never will. Why? Because they're a puppet people and the puppetmasters are the other muslim nations that use them to keep israel destabilized.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 6:03 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Dantac wrote:

There is a difference between a proposed policy of segregated bus services based on extremely well-documented security concerns and a policy of total extermination of every single Jew on the planet Earth based on extremely well-documented religious doctrine...

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 6:56 pm

ScrewyWabbit wrote:
Depends what we mean by "broadcast". Is their media merely, for instance, broadcasting racist commentary from its employees? Or are they providing news coverage of their community engaging in racist activities, such as the signs you'd probably see at most Palestinian protests against the Israelis. Becase if the former, it might be innappopriate. But if its the latter, where the community in question is engaging in widespread racism, well, its not so clear cut then.

then there is the problem that Israel and its supporters are intentionally conflating genuine opposition to Israel with run of the mill anti semitism. The Palestinians cannot so much as write a message of criticism or open their mouths against Israel without one of its pundits using it as a form of political jujutsu.

My deviant art profile

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 6:57 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Dantac wrote:

You insist on overlooking the bombings done by Palestinian operatives on unarmed people very often women and children.

The Palestinians are by and large a dangerous and sometimes murderous lot and years of history has proved it. They do not want peace. The want the Jews dead or gone.

ruveyn

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 7:09 pm

ruveyn wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Dantac wrote:

You insist on overlooking the bombings done by Palestinian operatives on unarmed people very often women and children.

The Palestinians are by and large a dangerous and sometimes murderous lot and years of history has proved it. They do not want peace. The want the Jews dead or gone.

ruveyn

[img][800:815]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/subzero2006/vp-violence-timeline-2012-11-23_0_zpsc2d70043.png[/img]

My deviant art profile