Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 1:26 pm

Who else has it? Great game :D

Author/Writer

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 2:55 pm

I've made a few attempts at playing 1 and 2. The series is just too hardcore for me, and the amount of customization and complexity of the skill-tree system just adds to that. But the fact that it exists and these games are being made, I really appreciate that.

I'm more of a Dark Spire fan. It was a first person dungeon crawler released for the DS that's much more linear and styled like the classic PC games.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 2:56 pm

Rorberyllium wrote:
I've made a few attempts at playing 1 and 2. The series is just too hardcore for me, and the amount of customization and complexity of the skill-tree system just adds to that. But the fact that it exists and these games are being made, I really appreciate that.

I'm more of a Dark Spire fan. It was a first person dungeon crawler released for the DS that's much more linear and styled like the classic PC games.

Well, four DOES have a casual mode; so maybe that'll help ;p

My first game in the series was 3, so maybe that's a little easier to manage than 1 and 2?

Author/Writer

LAEMapsie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Mar 2013, 2:59 pm

I downloaded the first game onto a flashcart (really hard to find in the UK), felt too hard.

If a demo comes out in the UK, they I may give it a go.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 1:54 am

I played through the first game some years ago, and I didn't find it that hard till I hit the post-game, which I ultimately decided not to do, since it requires one to really know what they're doing. I got partway into the second game, set it down, and haven't gotten back to it since, so it's in my backlog, along with the 3rd and 4th games. I did love the first game, and what I played of the second though. At least I finished the first game. I have all four Disgaea games in some way, shape or form, and I only got partway through the first game. I might as well restart when I finally get back to it.

Rorberyllium wrote:

Interesting. I personally found The Dark Spire more complicated. Don't you roll characters in that game? I got to the third floor, I believe, but I had to stop playing the game. I found it even more unpleasant to look at than a fps, and I recall there being a lot less in the way of indication as to what I was even doing, or which direction I should be going. I found the game to be a little to archaic for my tastes, but to each their own. I don't come from the old school of dungeon crawling though.

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2013, 11:28 am

Zodai wrote:
Rorberyllium wrote:

Well, four DOES have a casual mode; so maybe that'll help ;p

My first game in the series was 3, so maybe that's a little easier to manage than 1 and 2?

A casual mode? Is that just like a lower difficulty or something entirely different? I'm just asking because I don't like to see games with a well thought out, complex system, fall prey to the mainstream and become a more user friendly but less in depth, challenging and enjoyable experience.
I have only played a bit of the second one and I thought the amount of grinding you have to do right from the start was a bit much but I was confident the quality of the game would be worth it and from what I got up to, it was.