When you're walking around town avoiding eye contact w/ ppl

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2013, 3:05 pm

Tree branches, colors, leaves, cracks in the sidewalk, architecture, walls, plants. I indeed avoid looking at the people and I tend to ignore cars as well (except when crossing streets of course).

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 2:09 pm

Hmmm, some similarities, some differences. I think a lot of what I notice is due to nurture based on my education and other things I've learned informally.

I tend to notice signs and advertising a lot - and often think of improvements for them, or other applications for something unique about them or the business they're for. I notice flowers/plants/animals/insects etc. I see fibonacci spirals everywhere in nature - trees, vines, the patterns a flock of pigeons will be flying in in the wind above a busy intersection. I notice interesting cars/vehicles I like. I notice machinery and tools, how they work & think of how I'd re-engineer them to be better. Ditto with people doing their jobs if I happen to catch someone busily at work on something. Spring is coming on quick, and with over 40,000 of them planted in the city - and them being my favourite Springtime flower, I notice the cherry blossoms coming out everywhere and will stop just to have a look at them for a while. Sometimes I count things at random, too. Could be the number of like cars on a block, or the number of steps from where I am to a certain arbitrary point.

Urist
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Mar 2013, 3:11 pm

Books, posters, notices, anything with words on them. I read pretty much everything I see and I can read something like 13 - 16 words/second, 700 - 1000 words/minute if I'm pretty awake - I can read a full essay of 1000 words or so in about a minute or less - and when I'm tired usually about 6 - 8 words/second, 400 words/minute. I also sometimes end up just looking 'through' people and daydreaming, which sometimes creeps them out. Eye contact feels pretty unpleasant for me usually, although I can manage it for a few seconds for the sake of politeness. Same with smiling at people.

alexi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2013, 4:26 pm

If I am outdoors, the ground. I think mostly to block out as much input as possible.

If indoors I am looking EVERYWHERE! My eyes don't stay still for more than a second and I notice too much. It feels kind of good for a whole (like sensory seeking), but I become tired after an hour or so. And well after I have left the space I still feel the overstimulation of being there. Often still the next day.