Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

TinyDancer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Mar 2013, 1:15 pm

How do you get someone to help with practical skills? Where do you look? How do you know if someone's really helpful or is just going to give you nonsense so they can get your hourly payment?

I need help with basically all the stuff that parents are supposed to help you with. Explaining how to pay bills, how to set up accounts like getting a cell phone, how to take out loans, how to apply for jobs, etc.

I would pay someone to help me with this if they were helpful but I've met plenty of people that are just like, "try using a calendar." no s**t sherlock. either that or they don't understand why I'm asking how to do something, like it's innate knowledge.

Also WP really needs a Practical Skills section.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 3:16 pm

Hmmmm, not sure. There have been some non-profits that have worked at teaching those types of skills to people, and (I'm told) US Special Education spends a great deal of time in those areas.

Sadly, this is another one of those things that ends up getting passed generationally if it's passed at all.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 7:31 pm

You really shouldn't have to pay for learning such skills. Do you have a teacher or some social worker who can help you? If not, you should go to some government organization such as social security or Centrelink.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 7:44 pm

Basic skills, eh?

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -- Robert Heinlein, in "Time Enough for Love"

I would add: arrange flowers, play an instrument, read a contract, write a check, drive a car, change a tire, change the oil, fill the tank, read a map, assemble a computer, troubleshoot a BSOD, dig a ditch, plant a garden, run for office, preach a sermon, do laundry, iron a crease, dress appropriately, give a eulogy, raise a child, maintain a relationship, keep a job, show up on time, remain silent in the face of adversity, speak when necessary, stand by their words, and above all: LEARN & ADAPT!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kin2Naruto
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Mar 2013, 2:30 am

Try adopting a Grandparent. Go to the local Senior Citizen's Center and ask for a volunteer. Probably make someone very happy to feel useful instead of just feeling old.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 7:35 am

Kin2Naruto wrote:
Try adopting a Grandparent. Go to the local Senior Citizen's Center and ask for a volunteer. Probably make someone very happy to feel useful instead of just feeling old.

That is a good idea. I think it will be quite difficult to find somebody who is paid to teach this knowledge because there isn't much market for it. This is knowledge that is generally given away for free by older relatives: usually parents but also grandparents, aunts and uncles. In a Senior Center you will find people who taught those things to young family members long ago but nobody has asked them to do it for decades and they miss that. I think this could work.

TinyDancer

11 Mar 2013, 12:32 pm

Kin2Naruto wrote:

That's a good idea. But a lot of old people spend a lot of time talking about themselves and a lot of them think they're right about stuff they're not. Also, a lot of old people creep me out (like their eyes and their nails and stuff) - I know thats bad but its true and i'd get used to it but it would take a while. And old men can be really perverted too. I guess thered be a trade.

Excuses excuses, i know.

I'll probably just try to find more books on this kind of stuff and learn to read faster.

Kin2Naruto
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Mar 2013, 12:48 pm

TinyDancer wrote:
Kin2Naruto wrote:

That's a good idea. But a lot of old people spend a lot of time talking about themselves and a lot of them think they're right about stuff they're not. Also, a lot of old people creep me out (like their eyes and their nails and stuff) - I know thats bad but its true and i'd get used to it but it would take a while. And old men can be really perverted too. I guess thered be a trade.

Excuses excuses, i know.

I'll probably just try to find more books on this kind of stuff and learn to read faster.

There is quite an age range for "old". I bet the old people who 'creep you out' are nearly disabled and have trouble with basic life functions. They are gonna die pretty soon and there is quality-of-life controversy about how MUCH medical care its ethical to give someone dying of old age. And lots of NT's find dying elders creepy too so that is NOT an unusual feeling.

I'm suggesting people just old enough to be retired. Maybe they have a little more trouble moving quickly, but they are a long way from dead. (and the eyes/skin/hair look much healthier then someone who is dying)

Books can help some - but being taught by a real human is MUCH faster and more effective. You also mentioned "learn to read faster" so I think you would have additional problems sticking to just books.

PS - If the "perverted-old-man" idea scares you that much feel free to ask for Grandma's only.