Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2013, 9:15 pm

Nambo wrote:
Iam glad Iam a hoarder, fitting my uprated shock absorber inserts today I discovered they where too short to bolt down, the supplier told me you have to pack them out, looking through my parts I found some spacers that where just the job.
Would have taken me a long time to figure out what I needed or have to make something.

I wish I had done a lot more hoarding when younger, the price Iam paying for parts nowadays that used to be virtually given away, sometimes such parts are no longer even available.

Sounds like your dads doing the right thing, as long as he does something with his parts, even if its just insurance for an old motor he might be running.

Indeed, hoarding kicks ass. As long as nobody else sees your stuff and then gives you some lecture about it because they saw Hoarders on TV and want you to participate in consumerist society. Or in REALLY extreme cases like saving empty pizza boxes or something weird like that.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 3:04 am

Why not call Hoarders or Hoarding Buried Alive and see if they can come out and help? They will put you one tv and all but it's free mental help with it and they can get rid of all that stuff for you.

He's not planning on moving all of it a long way away is he? The only other thing I could think of is getting him to put it in storage in a place a friend lets you use for free, then maybe it all gets stolen or a tornado hits it or something. Or maybe he wont ever want to come down and look at it, out of sight out of mind you know.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

WarmAir
Raven
Raven

16 Apr 2013, 3:37 pm

I don't know what I am. I guess I'm a prepper, but know the end of the world or a natural disaster isn't coming. I have loads of stuff, but everything is organized completely. I basically know everything I have (well, maybe not specifically bands and titles). I'm also addicted to shopping, especially when something is on sale or at a reduced cost. I love book sales (even more than I like to read), because the money spent in going to a good cause (the library). Yes, I know I can get books and stuff out from free from the same place, but it's the trill of the hunt and the feeling of extension of self. In other words, I see something and form a bond with it -- a bond that's hard to brake (by giving up the object). It's like the object becomes a part of me, and giving it up is giving up a precious part of myself. If I give it up for someone else, it's not so bad; however, it's bad when I just throwing it in the trash. My councilor is trying to break me of this cycle, but I hate her for it. I am currently still buying (well, not right now since I'm on the computer), but my binges are cheap leaning towards bargin book and cheap stickers. I'm old fashioned, in that, I love the actual feel of written letter that go to the post office, so I end up gathering loads of things connected to that (ex. stampers, stickers and other embellishments for the letters). Is this a Asperger symptom, because it's the gathering for a hobby? Are there any other Asperger people out there who do this? Well, anyway, I know I have a problem.

Gaby76
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2013, 9:42 pm

My dad is a hoarder. He used to keep all his junk out in a garage but since my mom died it is creeping into the house and it is a battle to keep him clean and the house liveable. He has a meltdown if he sees throwing anything away but if we can get it out behind his back, he never misses it. There is a disturbing disorder called senile squaler syndrome that can effect elderly people who are beleived to be ASD. So keep yourself in check !

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2013, 11:22 pm

What is the difference between a hoarder of car parts and a wreckers? Or a hoarder of books and magazines vs a librarian?

The difference is that with the professionals, the stuff is kept clean, tidy, organised, and accessible. There is no point keeping a book unless you can locate it when you want to read it, without having to go through piles and piles of other stuff first. The collection is also kept in such a way as to be valuable and useful. There is no emotional attachment to the items, so that a clear judgement can be made about whether to keep or discard an item. The collection has a dedicated space, which does not affect private living areas, and it is maintained in a clean and hygenic fashion, so that the items do not become wet or dirty, so that pests do not take up residence, and any dirt and dust is regularly cleaned away.

If you think your hoarding is a good thing, try to see it from somebody else's point of view.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 11:42 pm

Well, a lot of progress has been made and a lot or random stuff has been hauled away. I've taken many boxes of old cables and circuit boards to Best Buy to be recycled. Even found a satellite box that controlled one of the old big dishes from over 10 years ago and recycled it.

My dad has at least pulled in some cash by taking, metal scrap to the scrap yard.

I still wonder what lead to this stuff piling up in the first place, but at least it's getting cleaned up.