Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,741
Location: Wroclaw, Poland

13 Mar 2013, 1:16 pm

Do Catholics can undergo hypnotherapy treatment, and does it can reduce libido?

Once I took the hypnotherapy to cure me insomnia and increase my cognitivity and social skills due Mild Asperger's Syndrome. I want prepare to final high-school exam which is called in Matura in my country, Poland , i have than 17 years old, now i have 27 years old

When I was preparing for Confirmation, two years ago, the priest in confession warned me because it can result in demonic possession, but the hypnosis is not sinful. The therapist who hypnotized me, also applied bioenergotheraphy , as well as the priest said in confession, the priest told me that it is a mortal sin, but that this time my culpability was reduced because i don't knew that bioenergotheraphy is sin, so this time was only venial sin

I have a question to all Christians, regardless of rite, what do you think about hypnosis.

I also have a second question, whether hypnosis can reduce libido, because mine is unfortunately too high, and often commit sins of the flesh.
I wanted to ask here is this hypnotherapist who treated me for insomnia, but was ashamed :-)

What you know methods reduce libido, i I really want to reduce my libido, because I do not want to sin, neither the body nor the thought.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,592
Location: Stendec

13 Mar 2013, 1:25 pm

How can a religious institution consider any helpful treatment to be sinful or lead to demonic possession?


_________________
 
Since there is no singular, absolute definition of human nature,
nor any ultimate evaluation of human nature beyond that which we project onto others,
individuals should be judged or defined only by their actions and choices,
and not by what we only imagine their intentions and motivations to be.


0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

13 Mar 2013, 1:45 pm

I've not specifically heard this.

It sound more something that this particular priest believes.

Part of the requirement of exorcism is you separate madness from possession (by an unspecified process), so therefore naturally they don't view innocent pursuits as a route to demonic possession. Demonic possession according to them can be random or due to occult practices.

Anyway there is no such thing, as demonic possession, it is really just an explanation of common mental aliments.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,597
Location: temperate zone

13 Mar 2013, 2:34 pm

Here in the USA folks get hypnotized by professional healthcare hypnotists for wieght loss, cigarette smoking, and obsessive behaviours, and such, all of the time.Catholics are a minority, but a very LARGE subgroup in the USA, and I never heard of Catholicism (nor any other religous group -except possibly Christian Scientists) being opposed to hypnosis. So I think that your local priest is either hugely confused about doctrine, or just has some idiosyncrated beliefs of his own.

So I would atleast get a second or third opinion about church attitudes towards hypnosis.

It amuses me that you want to commit one sin in order to avoid another: or commit what you wrongly THOUGHT was a sin (hypnosis) in order to avoid another sin (sex). Even though hypnosis isnt a sin I still think that getting hypnotized to stop masturbating (or whatever youre worried about) is a bad idea.



pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,741
Location: Wroclaw, Poland

13 Mar 2013, 3:06 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Here in the USA folks get hypnotized by professional healthcare hypnotists for wieght loss, cigarette smoking, and obsessive behaviours, and such, all of the time.Catholics are a minority, but a very LARGE subgroup in the USA, and I never heard of Catholicism (nor any other religous group -except possibly Christian Scientists) being opposed to hypnosis. So I think that your local priest is either hugely confused about doctrine, or just has some idiosyncrated beliefs of his own.

So I would atleast get a second or third opinion about church attitudes towards hypnosis.

It amuses me that you want to commit one sin in order to avoid another: or commit what you wrongly THOUGHT was a sin (hypnosis) in order to avoid another sin (sex). Even though hypnosis isnt a sin I still think that getting hypnotized to stop masturbating (or whatever youre worried about) is a bad idea.


This hypnotherapist, here in Poland is very famous and also quite expensive, he ran a private practice, six months earlier I broke my leg I had a lot of compensation from the insurance company. I spent almost all of that to see a therapist, but I helped my mom a little bit afraid but not due to religious reasons, just afraid that I will not wake up, my mom is a little overprotective, but said that, I want it. My mom said yes, and she was pleased with the results. For half a year, insomnia passed. I have improved in school, I did not pass the exam.
It consists of four items, two compulsory Polish language, which includes, world literature, and modern foreign language I chose English. There are two subjects chosen. by the student. I chose History and Civics. I chose it because I wanted to study Political Science. Unfortunately, I did not pass the language exam in Polish, English and barely passed.: (
Language Exams consist of two parts, written and oral. Oral exams I passed.
Written exams were a problem, I never did not pay attention to grammar.

My native Polish language syntax is very developed, English in this respect is simpler.

Hypnosis helped me, but the priest told me that it may cause demonic possession, but it is not a sin: (



trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Dec 2012
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,919

13 Mar 2013, 3:58 pm

I'm not a christian but I googled a bit, and it seems there is no official position on hypnosis from the Vatican.

http://www.catholic.org/diocese/diocese ... p?id=25480

That is just one article, but I also looked around a bit on the Vatican website, couldn't really find anything on hypnosis. I think attitudes towards hypnosis (or anything else) vary quite a bit by region, not just by religion or creed. Dutch Catholics appear to be fairly liberal compared to the Vatican or some other countries. I guess most Catholic guys here masturbate without much guilt. Same with sex before marriage and contraception. As for reducing libido, I think there are some threads on the Adult subforum here.

And by the way...

HABEMVS PAPAM



1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,036
Location: CT, USA

13 Mar 2013, 4:08 pm

The issue is more one of basically the hypnotist using "familiar spirits" to accomplish something. These familiar spirits could be demons. I don't think hypnosis in itself is a sin, at least Biblically. The "bioenergy" or whatever is more likely what was sinful, as the hypnotist could have given you some sort of otherworldly (meaning could be demonic) energy. As far as hypnotism being a sin when there's no spirits involved, the only way it's really sinful is it's like, you're unsure of what was being basically incanted over you to convince you of whatever. You're not in control, you're allowing yourself to be "possessed" by the hypnotist, even if there's no literal demonic spirits involved, you're still being "possessed." I'm not sure if there's an official Catholic position on hypnotherapy, but that's the reasoning behind it. Orthodoxy doesn't really have ranked sins, mortal, venial, etc, so I can't say whether it's a mortal or venial or whatever sin, but I don't think it's something smart to do as a Christian.



1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,036
Location: CT, USA

13 Mar 2013, 4:10 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Here in the USA folks get hypnotized by professional healthcare hypnotists for wieght loss, cigarette smoking, and obsessive behaviours, and such, all of the time.Catholics are a minority, but a very LARGE subgroup in the USA, and I never heard of Catholicism (nor any other religous group -except possibly Christian Scientists) being opposed to hypnosis. So I think that your local priest is either hugely confused about doctrine, or just has some idiosyncrated beliefs of his own.

So I would atleast get a second or third opinion about church attitudes towards hypnosis.

It amuses me that you want to commit one sin in order to avoid another: or commit what you wrongly THOUGHT was a sin (hypnosis) in order to avoid another sin (sex). Even though hypnosis isnt a sin I still think that getting hypnotized to stop masturbating (or whatever youre worried about) is a bad idea.


This hypnotherapist, here in Poland is very famous and also quite expensive, he ran a private practice, six months earlier I broke my leg I had a lot of compensation from the insurance company. I spent almost all of that to see a therapist, but I helped my mom a little bit afraid but not due to religious reasons, just afraid that I will not wake up, my mom is a little overprotective, but said that, I want it. My mom said yes, and she was pleased with the results. For half a year, insomnia passed. I have improved in school, I did not pass the exam.
It consists of four items, two compulsory Polish language, which includes, world literature, and modern foreign language I chose English. There are two subjects chosen. by the student. I chose History and Civics. I chose it because I wanted to study Political Science. Unfortunately, I did not pass the language exam in Polish, English and barely passed.: (
Language Exams consist of two parts, written and oral. Oral exams I passed.
Written exams were a problem, I never did not pay attention to grammar.

My native Polish language syntax is very developed, English in this respect is simpler.

Hypnosis helped me, but the priest told me that it may cause demonic possession, but it is not a sin: (


Ah, ok, so basically the same thing.



johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Apr 2011
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,274

13 Mar 2013, 10:43 pm

Some treat hypnoses like drinking your inhibition center is shut down and your mind is vulnerable to attack from spirits. How ever the is no rule against it.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,813
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

13 Mar 2013, 11:12 pm

While I must confess I find the notion that hypnosis is somehow a gateway to demonic possession to be more than a little odd, I know that certain Christian groups in the United States have equally strange ideas. For instance, American evangelical leader Pat Robertson maintained it was possible for articles of clothing to be possessed by the devil. :roll:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer



1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,036
Location: CT, USA

13 Mar 2013, 11:38 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
While I must confess I find the notion that hypnosis is somehow a gateway to demonic possession to be more than a little odd, I know that certain Christian groups in the United States have equally strange ideas. For instance, American evangelical leader Pat Robertson maintained it was possible for articles of clothing to be possessed by the devil. :roll:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


I think it's true. However, what the curses exactly will do to you are based upon your faith in Christ and efficacy of whatever curse or spell is placed on it. Theoretically anytime you say "damnit" or something, you're cursing whatever you're damning. The efficacy of your curses is questionable, but there's a reason the Bible says not to curse.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,813
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

13 Mar 2013, 11:42 pm

1000Knives wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
While I must confess I find the notion that hypnosis is somehow a gateway to demonic possession to be more than a little odd, I know that certain Christian groups in the United States have equally strange ideas. For instance, American evangelical leader Pat Robertson maintained it was possible for articles of clothing to be possessed by the devil. :roll:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


I think it's true. However, what the curses exactly will do to you are based upon your faith in Christ and efficacy of whatever curse or spell is placed on it. Theoretically anytime you say "damnit" or something, you're cursing whatever you're damning. The efficacy of your curses is questionable, but there's a reason the Bible says not to curse.


Well, as a mainline Protestant, I'm not a big believer in possessed clothes.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer