Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

lonerchild9
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Mar 2013, 1:21 pm

Why do people actually believe this? what I don't get is that a lot of aspies tend to have genius IQ's. How could some one who has a genius IQ have brain damage from mercury? If you go to you tube, and type in "mercury in vaccines" you find tons of video's with all this propaganda.

Does any one have any knowledge on mad hatter syndrome and how it compares to autism. Because I think that's what really needs to be looked at here.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 3:50 pm

There is no evidence to link mercury with autism.

I have never seen any solid evidence in the scientific literature which backs up the hypothesis that mercury exposure causes autism.

One of the most odd papers was one which claimed that children with autism have lower than normal mercury levels in their hair becuase the mercury does not come out in their hair, while another paper claimed that children with autism have high levels of mercury. I looked at the data and I could not see a significant difference between the "normals" and the people with autism.

The difference in both papers was small compared with the standard deviation.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 4:18 pm

There is always the tendency to look for easy answers.

I also think that most people tend to believe the first thing that they find credible, especially if they hear it from multiple sources. So when they hear something as prevalent as the conjecture that mercury is the cause of autism, they go for it. It doesn't help when they then do a simple web search for something like "mercury and autism" and find plenty of links to sites that support the notion. Those just help build up the idea in your mind.

One thing that I do is instead of searching for the claim, I search for the opposite to read what the detractors say. For example, instead of "mercury and autism" I'd search for something like "mercury not the cause of autism".

The other day, someone showed me something they had bought that they were going to attach to their car engine to improve gas mileage. It purportedly works by mixing hydrogen in with the fuel. It didn't make sense to me because for it to work, you would get more energy out of the system than it took to operate it. Instead of coming back to the office and searching for that, I searched for it with the word "scam" afterwards: http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=h ... oster+scam

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

13 Mar 2013, 7:06 pm

[Moved from Autism Politics, Activism, and Media Representation to General Autism Discussion]

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 7:43 pm

http://www.vaccinationnews.com/dailynew ... poison.htm

Quote:
A review of medical literature indicates that the characteristics of autism and of mercury poisoning (HgP) are strikingly similar. Traits defining or associated with both disorders are summarized in Table A immediately following the Table of Contents and are discussed and cited in the body of this document. The parallels between the two diseases are so thorough as to suggest, based on total Hg injected into U.S. children, that many cases of autism are a form of mercury poisoning.

http://abcmt.org/A%20Novel%20Form%20of% ... soning.pdf

http://www.vaccinationnews.com/scandals ... mptoms.htm

http://www.icdrc.org/documents/Mercury% ... Autism.pdf

Quote:
A review of medical literature has shown that exposure to mercury, whether organic or inorganic, can give rise to the symptoms and traits defining or commonly found in ASD individuals. Mercury can cause impairments in social interaction, communication difficulties, and repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, which comprise the three DSM-IV autism diagnostic criteria. Additionally, mercury can induce features prominent in ASD such as sensory abnormalities, emotional/psychological changes, movement disorder, impairments in abstract or complex thinking, severe sleep disturbances, and self injurious behavior. Males are more affected than females in both conditions.

Physiological abnormalities more common in ASD populations and known to be caused by mercury exposure include gastrointestinal problems, autonomic nervous system disturbance, unusual EEG activity, immune system alterations, irregularities in neurotransmitter systems, and non-specific brain lesions.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 7:53 pm

Do you have any object links to articles from RELIABLE sources?

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 8:00 pm

Did you actually read the information in the links! :roll:

Academic references are given to studies in at least one of them.

Do you know more than them! 8O

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 8:03 pm

...however, here is another: http://vaccineliberationarmy.com/peer-r ... th-autism/

Quote:
In yet another peer-reviewed study (the fifth in a little over a month), “Study of Some Biomarkers in Hair of Children with Autism” published in the journal of Middle East Current Psychiatry 2011, 18:6-10 by investigators from the Departments of Psychiatry, Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Egypt, describes a significant link between mercury and autism. These investigators then reported [emphasis added], “Geier et al. [11] suggested that emerging evidence supports the theory that some ASDs may result from a combination of genetic biochemical susceptibility, specifically reduced ability to excrete mercury, and exposure to mercury at critical developmental periods. They also pointed the role played by protective factors (e.g. estrogen, glutathione, selenium, and vitamins) and exacerbating factors (e.g. antibiotics, concurrent heavy metal exposure, such as lead, arsenic, and androgens).

Quote:
Boyd Haley says:
February 17, 2011 at 10:09 am

I along with Dr, Amy Holmes and Mark Blaxill published a paper with exactly the same results in 2003. The results of our paper was totally dismissed by the 2004 IOM committee that concluded that further research on any thimerosal-autism connection should not be undertaken. Indeed, in the USA such research is rarely if ever funded and reports like this one are done in foreign countries. It is my opinion that the worry of the IOM in serving the desires of the CDC was that research would confirm what they already knew—the CDC mandated vaccine program started this autism epidemic by injecting into children toxic levels of thimerosal. Remember, mercury is the only toxin that is gender selective, it affects males more quickly than female and this is a requirement for the putative environmental toxin that likely “causes autism”. It is a shame that research on this most logical causation of autism is not supported by NIH and the CDC, or others who obtain funds for autism research.

...you can Google as well as me.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 8:30 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
Did you actually read the information in the links! :roll:

Academic references are given to studies in at least one of them.

Do you know more than them! 8O

Only one of those was a paper from a legitimate medical publication, except that publication is for medical hypotheses. It is for suggestions of things that may be worth investigating to determine whether or not there may be any truth in them. The only legitimate conclusions you can draw from there is that something might be worth a medical investigation.

Interestingly enough, that publication came from some group called ARC Research which does not even appear to be around any more.

As for the others, they aren't worth the time to read.

Vaccination News is a site that certainly appears to be anti-vaccination even though they present themselves as not picking sides. After all, with all the medical evidence that there is no connection, why don't you see those on their site? The conclusion is obvious -- they are pushing an anti-vaccination agenda.

And the one from Bradstreet's site, www.icdrc.org, is not reputable at all, especially if those reports are true that Dr. Bradstreet used to advocate the use of Exorcism to treat Autism.

If you want to convince me that mercury plays a part, I'm not all that hard to convince. But that convincing has to be based on legitimate medical studies by real researchers in the field.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 9:12 pm

The logic behind the claimed link is deeply faulty.

Using the same method, I could create an argument that loud music causes autism.

Some people with ASD experience tinnitus. Tinnitus is known to be caused by chronic exposure to loud music. Therefore loud music causes autism. QED.

Solidus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Mar 2013, 9:12 pm

What puzzles me is why ANYONE thinks it's a good idea to put mercury or aluminium or any derivative thereof in vaccines, regardless of whether there's a link to autism. Surely they can produce vaccines that don't contain neurotoxins?

Given how corrupt the scientific and especially the medical establishment are, I wouldn't trust any of their papers claiming that injecting toxic metals in the body in any amount is safe. I have some background in science, having studied it in college, so I'm familiar with the scientific method and scientific papers, but that doesn't mean that I trust the integrity of the people carrying it out.

Just because autism isn't primarily caused by mercury-laden vaccines doesn't mean they can't cause autism, or a similar type of brain damage misdiagnosed as autism (in which case it wouldn't be autistic people with high IQs). There are too many testimonies of parents out there seeing a drastic change of behaviour in their children shortly after vaccination to take those studies at face value.

timatron
Raven
Raven

13 Mar 2013, 9:13 pm

Well I did a heavy metal detox with DMSA EDTA and zeolite and felt worse and worse and worse over a few months till I stopped. It made me worse despite getting lead and some other stuff out.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 9:26 pm

Solidus wrote:
Just because autism isn't primarily caused by mercury-laden vaccines doesn't mean they can't cause autism, or a similar type of brain damage misdiagnosed as autism (in which case it wouldn't be autistic people with high IQs). There are too many testimonies of parents out there seeing a drastic change of behaviour in their children shortly after vaccination to take those studies at face value.

From what I understand, the brains of those with Autism are found to be different than that of others, particularly in the number of neurons in various regions of the brain. Considering that nearly all of our neurons are formed and move into place while we are fetuses, I believe in the second trimester, it is hard to see how this could possibly be caused by mercury after we are born.

But if it is caused by "mercury-laden vaccines", then be happy that there are very few children being born today who will ever be autistic. Yeah, right.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 9:28 pm

According to http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concer ... _faqs.html:

Quote:
Do MMR vaccines contain thimerosal?

No, measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccines do not and never did contain thimerosal. Varicella (chickenpox), inactivated polio (IPV), and pneumococcal conjugate vaccines have also never contained thimerosal.

Solidus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Mar 2013, 9:46 pm

Well my point is that actual autism (the one related to brain differences) might not be caused by mercury, but certain types of brain damage caused by neurotoxins might mimic its symptoms and be misdiagnosed as autism. That difference might account for the fact that some people 'recover' (whether or not as a result of treatment) and others don't (or treatments make them worse because of autism-related sensitivities). There is also the possibility that certain people, but not all, react to those neurotoxins in ways that causes the brain damage.

As for your second link, many vaccines (like the tetanus shot) still contains thimerosal, and others contain aluminium-based substances.

I don't believe that my own AS was caused by vaccines, however.

Last edited by Solidus on 13 Mar 2013, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 9:49 pm

Aluminum is so common in the environment that I suspect the amount of aluminum in the vaccines is pretty minimal in comparison.