Page 11 of 13 [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 7:32 am

androbot2084 wrote:
Free over the air broadcasting will soon support ultra high definition which is 16 times more detail than regular 1080p high definition. And the naysayers still think this format is obsolete?

The problem is that higher resolution = lower range.

DTV in the US has a max range of 200 miles (average). If you live in mountains, cut that by over 50%. Without a strong signal, you don't get jack. Analog had a longer range because you could get an acceptable picture at a much weaker signal strength.

Rural areas always suffer unless they upgrade infrastructure, and frankly, the service providers don't see enough $$$ to justify it. So, if government doesn't subsidize it, it won't happen.

Radio won't die because it's a cheap and proven media. For many purposes, phasing it out would be a disaster for public safety concerns.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 4:05 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
DTV in the US has a max range of 200 miles (average). If you live in mountains, cut that by over 50%. Without a strong signal, you don't get jack. Analog had a longer range because you could get an acceptable picture at a much weaker signal strength.

I live approx. 50 miles [as the crow flies] from my nearest PBS station [KCTS-9, seattle] and even with a signal-boosted deep fringe antenna [aimed right at the broadcast tower clusters] mounted atop a tree 100' above the ground, I still get only intermittent reception.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 9:18 am

Before the switch to digital high definition I got this horrible analog picture full of snow. But when I bought my first high definition television in 2004 I was able to watch the Olympics for free in stunning high definition. What most people called obsolete technology was in actuality a major advancement in high technology. At that time in 2004 most of the cable and satellite refused to offer any high definition service.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 5:08 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Before the switch to digital high definition I got this horrible analog picture full of snow. But when I bought my first high definition television in 2004 I was able to watch the Olympics for free in stunning high definition. What most people called obsolete technology was in actuality a major advancement in high technology. At that time in 2004 most of the cable and satellite refused to offer any high definition service.

you were fortunate to live within the DTV reception area.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 6:21 pm

When the new ultra-high definition broadcasting specifications are finalized, free digital broadcasting will be expanded to mobile devices. So how will this be possible if the naysayers tell everyone you need a rooftop antenna ?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 6:24 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
When the new ultra-high definition broadcasting specifications are finalized, free digital broadcasting will be expanded to mobile devices. So how will this be possible if the naysayers tell everyone you need a rooftop antenna ?

can you tell me how this is going to work?

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 7:03 pm

New broadcasting towers will have to be built but wait a minute over the air broadcasting is obsolete right ? I guess all those IPAD users will have to carry around bulky satellite dishes or purchase miles of cable.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 7:06 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
New broadcasting towers will have to be built but wait a minute over the air broadcasting is obsolete right ? I guess all those IPAD users will have to carry around bulky satellite dishes or purchase miles of cable.

OTA broadcasting is important for national security, it cannot be allowed to wither away. it is akin to morse code for the digital age, a fallback in emergencies.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 7:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

OTA broadcasting is important for national security, it cannot be allowed to wither away. it is akin to morse code for the digital age, a fallback in emergencies.

Fear not. OTA radio broadcasts are not going away anytime soon. Radio is alive and well. OTA T;V. may be in trouble though.

ruveyn

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 7:19 pm

Without over the air broadcasting we would not have high definition televisions.

Back in the 1980's broadcasters could have cared less about high definition television until their bandwidth was threatened to be auctioned off to the cell phone companies. Broadcasters immediately proposed high definition television simply to hog as much bandwidth as possible. Today broadcasters are proposing 200 inch ultra-high definition displays with insane amounts of resolution just so they can keep their bandwidth.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 7:19 pm

OTA tv got into logistical trouble with the required migration away from analog towards digital, which requires taller antenna towers for equivalent coverage. somebody shoulda thought of a better way.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 7:37 pm

What killed over the air broadcasting was that ten years ago a high definition television was not required to have a digital tuner which effectively made these televisions worthless and a waste of money.

When the government provided digital tuners the government conspired to destroy free over the air television by making it illegal for these digital tuners to output a high definition signal. These boxes would actually scramble the picture with black interlace scanning lines so that picture quality would be further destroyed.

Today all televisions are sold with free high definition tuners but this may be too late to save free television.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 12:53 pm

Videotape is a technology that refuses to die. I have over a hundred high definition video tapes and I still use videotape to record events.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 3:50 pm

auntblabby wrote:
OTA tv got into logistical trouble with the required migration away from analog towards digital, which requires taller antenna towers for equivalent coverage. somebody shoulda thought of a better way.

It is called cable t.v. and direct broadcast t.v. which uses satellites

ruveyn

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 4:15 pm

Cable and satellite TV does not count because it is not free.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 4:16 pm

ruveyn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

It is called cable t.v. and direct broadcast t.v. which uses satellites

prob with cable is that it requires installation of cable equipment and is not free as OTA tv is. the FCC's job was to maintain public airwaves, including free OTA tv for everyman and not just folks with money. free DB [sat] tv probably could be made to work as a replacement for terrestrial broadcast free tv, but requires lots more technical expertise on the part of the end user. there could just be commercial feeds [just like there are commercial feeds in regular OTA tv] to pay for it.