What do you think of the newly elected Pope Francis I

Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 5:24 pm

"Steady as she sinks!"

Even for a body as risk-averse as the College of Cardinals this strikes me as a monumental non-decision.

He is relatively old--at 76 he will be little more than a caretaker. He has only a few years until he likely faces health challenges comparable to those of his predecessors.

He is an arch-conservative--even within the somewhat artificial understanding of liberal and conservative that is currently in place in the Roman Catholic Church.

By electing a Latin American, the Church appears to have washed its hands of any attempt to reengage with lapsed Catholics in Europe and North America. The Church appears to intend to maintain the inflexibility and orthodoxy that have made it successful only in Latin America, Africa and parts of Asia. These will continue to be the heartland of the Church going forward, and she will pass out of even the limited relevance that she has in the world's centres of political and economic power.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 Mar 2013, 5:34 pm

I dont really care, the notion of man who basically lives his life as a God on earth with tons of people "Needing his holiness"
is absolutely silly to me. I mean really? :lol:

I was never into British royalty either, or the american equivalant to Celebrities.

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2013, 5:36 pm

visagrunt wrote:
He is relatively old--at 76 he will be little more than a caretaker. He has only a few years until he likely faces health challenges comparable to those of his predecessors

It turns out he only has one lung, so maybe it will be quicker than you think.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 6:53 pm

Argentines are a "nation of Italians who speak Spanish, and think they are British".

So even if he hadnt been one of the half of the Argentine population that wasnt of Italian descent he would still be in effect- an 'Itlalian". So this is not really departure from picking Popes from Italy.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 7:03 pm

First Argie, first Jesuit, first Francis.

Supposedly his choice of Francis sends a message that he's anti-political regarding the Vatican and a bit hint that he reckons himself a reformer. HOPE that's a good thing.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 7:14 pm

Don't know. Don't care. It's just another man in a dress.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 7:29 pm

Here's a rather strong opinion:

http://e2.ma/message/atdxf/ugl25f

3/13/2013 20:13 inauguration. I knew the date was weird, thought about that upcoming several months ago but I didn't catch the 8:13 PM thing until I thought of it in military time.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 7:46 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

3/13/2013 20:13 inauguration. I knew the date was weird, thought about that upcoming several months ago but I didn't catch the 8:13 PM thing until I thought of it in military time.

That numerology crap is uttermost nonsense....

ruveyn

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 7:59 pm

I was wondering that- what convoluted way someone was going to try to persuade us that this "George of Argentina" who has chosen to call himself "Francis" is somehow really "Peter the Roman" so he fits the Prophecy of St. Malachi.

Thats it?

He just has to be of Italian descent to be 'Peter the Roman'?

If thats the case then more than half the Popes were "Peter the Roman" already!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 8:06 pm

ruveyn wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

That numerology crap is uttermost nonsense....

ruveyn

Perhaps but, I can't imagine a single way for them to try harder to make numerology happen. Were they thumbing their arses while looking at stop-watches?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 8:08 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I was wondering that- what convoluted way someone was going to try to persuade us that this "George of Argentina" who has chosen to call himself "Francis" is somehow really "Peter the Roman" so he fits the Prophecy of St. Malachi.

Thats it?

Yeah, pretty lame. Still, we'll see how interesting or boring life gets in the next three to six months.

I have to admit though, I'm kinda hoping under my breath that some of those 1.6 billion dollars in hollow-points bought by DHA are for people who are big enough jackasses to put at least a year of planning into trying to inauguration someone at 20:13 at 3/13/2013. That's gotta be in the top ten for dumbest things I've ever seen.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 9:22 pm

BTW, I kinda wonder with all the recently re-vogued numerological stupidity and Kaballic/Pythagorean math, what kinds of surprises we might be in for in couple days when its Friday 3/15/13 at 3:15 PM or 15:15 military time. Note that its all the right kinds of lame, also the asteroid broke up over Russia exactly a month before the Ides of March, Friday is the Ides of March.

Sometimes I used to wonder if there were no bounds to the stupidity of people's speculations, now I'm starting to wonder if there's no limit to the stupidity of people's inventions as well.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 9:25 am

visagrunt wrote:
By electing a Latin American, the Church appears to have washed its hands of any attempt to reengage with lapsed Catholics in Europe and North America. The Church appears to intend to maintain the inflexibility and orthodoxy that have made it successful only in Latin America, Africa and parts of Asia. These will continue to be the heartland of the Church going forward, and she will pass out of even the limited relevance that she has in the world's centres of political and economic power.

Africa and Asia are actually where the Catholic Church is experiencing the most growth. Especially in Africa, where the Church is taking advantage of the decline of indigenous religions.

I get the feeling the Church no longer cares about North America. The only real growth it has in the U.S. are from immigrants who were Catholic before they arrived.

Chiropteran
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Mar 2013, 10:10 am

^

It's cathlolisism, what exactly can be done differently? it's a religion based on paganism...that persicutes any other religion including paganism. Includes an incomparable level of sexism and bigotry, spreads lies to the un-educated and has many a priest with a tendancy to go buggering the choir boys. Just to name a few things wrong with it.

Honestly I was hoping that a pope would never be chosen and the religion would die off like many before it.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 10:30 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP1rmsCPbQU[/youtube]

My deviant art profile

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 10:36 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Thats it?

Yeah, pretty lame. Still, we'll see how interesting or boring life gets in the next three to six months.

I have to admit though, I'm kinda hoping under my breath that some of those 1.6 billion dollars in hollow-points bought by DHA are for people who are big enough jackasses to put at least a year of planning into trying to inauguration someone at 20:13 at 3/13/2013. That's gotta be in the top ten for dumbest things I've ever seen.

aren't you a bit old for numerological childish nonsense?

ruveyn