Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Strigon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Mar 2013, 3:48 pm

Hey guys,

Not to come off as doom and gloom but I feel like I am unable to make any progress in finding a job. I was recently working at Target as seasonal but I was let go in the end so I'm at the deep end of caving in from bills. I am admittedly stupid when it came to a credit card racking up around $4,500 and now I've maxed myself out on top of sitting on $15,000 in student loan debt. Am I ashamed to say this on a public forum? Well, as it stands I'm right between jumping off a bridge to thinking I will change for the better somehow or my bad luck will end.

I am currently living with my mother and taking care of her too as she is disabled and terminally sick and most of my family lives down south so I am without much help. I have no friends and no close family other than my dad and my sister but she moved to Los Angeles so I don't see her much.

I tried filing for unemployment -- didn't get any. Same story with SSI and SSD. I've went to my workforce center and tried everything from the advice they have given me such as restructuring my resume and attitude and still no go.

I failed the electronically personality tests. I cannot get into the military because I was diagnosed with bipolar and involuntarily committed from suicide.

Tried therapy and no go. The medication Gabapentin and Citopram seem to work alright.

Perhaps my answer is suicide and I just need someone to spell it out for me.

I was bullied with racism and I was beaten to brutally up through high school and I choose to ignore all those up until I got into college when I finally went nuts in trying to suicide. Cops always thought I was making stuff up.

Sorry, I am all over the place. I feel I have a giant hole in my chest from the loneliness and the alienation from my actions that got me here.

Heh, what I am doing...

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 3:59 pm

I'll try to offer you some encouragement.

I was suicidal in college, too. I didn't think I'd make it to see 21. Then I didn't think I'd make it to 25. When I was 30 I finally said "F" it and swallowed 47 sleeping pills. There was no one there for me, no internet, none of that stuff. Be aware that now you have the chance to reach out to folks on the internet, and WP, and we support each other simply by keeping lines of communication open.

Also, when I was homeless in L.A. I did get part time jobs through a temporary job center, so employment is always a possibility.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 5:43 pm

a high percentage of people your age don't have jobs. it's not necessarily you. it's the economy. don't take your own life due to the economic weather.

what did you study in college? did you finish? have you looked into a welfare stipend or at least Medicaid for being your mom's caregiver? you say your mom's condition is terminal. perhaps you could move where there are more jobs when she doesn't need you any longer, hopefully nearer to your sister.

Strigon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Mar 2013, 5:23 pm

@redrobin62
I have tried that route in temporary employment agencies and have gotten nowhere. Trying to work with Manpower.com recommended from my sister but I am going nowhere with them so far.

That is not to say I have some blame that contributed to this such as quitting jobs. Some of it was due to school others it was due to medical problems such as mother and myself. There were two jobs I held that I had quit without giving a notice because one of them was screwing me over gas mileages and the other was because of a medical issue I was experiencing that caused me to not work but also because the drive was costing me more than having it (fast food delivery service).

@Cathylynn

I went to school, actually several the first in trying to decide what I wanted so I enrolled as Gen. Ed/Pre-IT at my first college. My second was a video game designer and found the people I work with were difficult and spoke more about politics than the work itself (I had some famous I was working with from another country that confirmed my suspicions although I probably should have let it slide in the end). That second school was a profit only and none of credits transferred over to the third college which I was enrolled in Art and minor in international studies in 08 and later CSIS in 11 and finally History in 12 of which I ended up quitting school because of my spending spree and suicide behaviors.

I have tried to apply for any help for myself and my mother for that matter but because of our infamous US political system, I haven't been able to get anything.

Really, I'd pay someone to shoot me right about now if I could get a gun myself but since I was involuntarily put into a medical institution in the past, I cannot obtain one but I hear its quite easy lately getting one.

There is no future; its a load of crap what therapists give in advice -- hang in there it will get better. Sure until you forget about politics and the infamous I/O psychologists that create these online personality tests to ensure the best candidate is for that position (what are they looking for robots?). Hell, I don't know.

I want to help other people myself but in my position, I can't even help myself as every advice I try and change and reflect upon still gets me nowhere.

I was mistake being born. lol...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 5:40 pm

@Strigon: What marketable skills do you have? Which of these skills are in demand as opposed to skills that anyone can do?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 2:59 pm

You could start a cleaning service, that might be a start since you don't need a fair amount of experience.

Vista Print do some very good templates that are great for that type of thing and you could advertise in shop windows or post it in doors. Anything is worth a try, even advertising to do baby sitting, house keeping, cleaning and dog walking just to earn some cash.

Something like that should get you going, just a thought and one of the good things about working for yourself is that you don't have some interviewer asking you a bunch of questions about your history. Just turn up, do the job and walk away with the money.