Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 5:32 pm

I am still learning to sort things, and I am wondering about some sensory experiences.

Today, on the train on my way home from work, I was enormously tired. Suddenly I felt like every poster we passed came right at me, and I had to put my hand up to block the sight and look at something else.
Some times, I have felt things moving towards me instead of me moving towards them.
Often sounds have been unusually harsh, and the sight of things passing have looked a bit like an old 16mm film running slightly too fast and being a little snowy.
The experiences are on the mild side, but nevertheless odd. (I am oversensitive to loud noise).

Is this some sort of meltdown symptoms, or do everyone have them now and then?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 6:06 pm

There's such a broad range of potential sensory symptoms that we each will experience different things, sometimes at random, sometimes brought on by stress/anxiety.

If you've been really stressed lately, or over tired due to insomnia, then it could be brought on by that. If nothing's out of the ordinary, it could just be random.

In any event, those types of sensory symptoms are reported by others on the spectrum and probably fairly common and nothing to really worry too much about.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 6:11 pm

No worry, just wondering :)

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 7:56 pm

I've had experiences reasonably similar to yours, and the reasons seem to be one of three factors (obviously, combining factors makes this even more likely): 1: I'm overtired 2: I'm stressed out 3: Overstimulation. The causes are in no particular order. Any one of them can do it. Specifically - if I'm overtired, even a little stressed, and in a moving vehicle (train, car, whatever) so that images and sounds flash past quickly, this is absolutely certain to happen. If I'm not in control (for example, I'm stuck on a train, or in a car with someone who is racing along, refusing to slow down or stop) that's the worst of all. This can happen even if I'm running or walking fast, but then it is much easier to make it go away; I just slow down immediately.

It sounds to me as if this is what happened to you, although obviously I can't be certain you work exactly the way I do. But the fact this happened on a train suggests at least that part of the reaction is similar.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder