Google goes evil and removes adblockers from Google Play.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

PM
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 12:58 am

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall ... sing-move/

I guess the motto "don't be evil" means nothing now and money is more important than users.

They took a leaf from the playbooks of Apple and Microsoft.

I know, they need ads to make money and they can do whatever they want with their product, but it is also my RIGHT to choose what I see on a webpage or in an app and it is my RIGHT to control my own property.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 3:29 am

You have to see advertisements?
The horror! How can there be such evil?!

If you don't want to see ads in an app, put your phone in Airplane Mode. Works for me.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

PM
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 4:02 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
You have to see advertisements?
The horror! How can there be such evil?!

If you don't want to see ads in an app, put your phone in Airplane Mode. Works for me.

The sarcasm was unnecessary, but thanks.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 6:33 am

Ads are a huge source of income, so I can see where they're coming from.

Still, as far as I know, it is possible to install third party apps directly to an Android without having to go through the store, as opposed to Apple stuff, yes? So installing AdBlockPlus would be doable, just a bit harder. Or by rooting the phone, if the above doesn't work.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 1:01 pm

PM wrote:
but it is also my RIGHT to choose what I see on a webpage or in an app and it is my RIGHT to control my own property.

They took something that stops their revenue stream off of their store. In what way have they stopped you from choosing how to control your property?

I don't really think it is a right to choose what you see on a webpage or in an app, but rather your right to choose whether or not to browse a page or download an app.

I'm really not sure why you'd call this behavior evil, even if you could find a reason to object to it.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 7:43 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
PM wrote:
but it is also my RIGHT to choose what I see on a webpage or in an app and it is my RIGHT to control my own property.

They took something that stops their revenue stream off of their store. In what way have they stopped you from choosing how to control your property?

I don't really think it is a right to choose what you see on a webpage or in an app, but rather your right to choose whether or not to browse a page or download an app.

I'm really not sure why you'd call this behavior evil, even if you could find a reason to object to it.

It is my right to choose what I see on a webpage regardless of what device I use. Also, they are essentially telling me what I can and cannot do with my property.

Maybe you are forgetting that Google's motto is "don't be evil".

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 8:09 pm

PM wrote:
It is my right to choose what I see on a webpage regardless of what device I use.

It's the webpage designers' right to make their webpage whatever they want.

Quote:
Also, they are essentially telling me what I can and cannot do with my property.

No they aren't.

Quote:

No. What does their motto have to do with it?

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 9:31 pm

You can root your property if it suits you. However, you should not extend your feelings of entitlement towards a third person's website.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 9:42 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
PM wrote:
It is my right to choose what I see on a webpage regardless of what device I use.

It's the webpage designers' right to make their webpage whatever they want.

It is also my right to control what I see on a webpage.

Ancalagon wrote:
PM wrote:
Also, they are essentially telling me what I can and cannot do with my property.

No they aren't.

Yes they are by denying users access to tools that remove ads

Ancalagon wrote:
PM wrote:

No. What does their motto have to do with it?

:roll: Putting profit before users violates their motto.

shatbat wrote:
You can root your property if it suits you. However, you should not extend your feelings of entitlement towards a third person's website.

There is no sense of entitlement, they publish a website, and I control what elements of that site I see.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 7:13 am

So they removed an app that circumvents their primary method of income from their distribution platform. Wow, it's amazing what passes for 'evil' these days. QQ more. Or alternatively, just download the app from any where else you like, be it an alternative distribution platform, or through the Pirate Bay, or <gasp> via a Google search.

Apocalypsing
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Mar 2013, 10:40 am

I know for a fact that Android allows you to install apps for outside sources, so you could always install the app from the Adblock Plus website instead.

Though this still comes as a shock. If it was hurting Google's revenue I wonder why it wasn't sorted out earlier, or why Adblock Plus's submission to the store was even accepted in the first place if it violates an agreement.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 11:39 am

PM wrote:
Yes they are by denying users access to tools that remove ads

They're denying the ability to get an adblocker through their own store. That's not stopping anyone from getting it, just not providing it themselves.

Quote:
:roll: Putting profit before users violates their motto.

:roll: That's not what evil means.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 10:41 pm

Doesn't bother me any because I have a rooted device and still have access to ad blocking software :)